you could not make it up rip off uk or what?

2»

Comments

• Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    -Liam- wrote:
    Why can't they buy an item online like me and charge a fiver on top? I'd pay that...but 20 quid for a set of spd's? (In my experience) yer having a laff :lol: blatant profiteering.
    Now calm down :lol:

VAT would take up all that £5 and what about the guys wages and his staffs?
    I do agree that some bike shops may have attitude problems but if you heard some of the things you get asked then it would make a saint swear lol.Some do have a bit on tongue in cheek though and its not always taken as intended.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    dwill wrote:
    i was told off a sales rep that the mark up on bikes is at least 100% most of the time more , the same rep got me a bike for my wife for £50 less than half the rrp so yes i think were being well shafted.

Most bike shops operate way less than that, typically 10-40% on a bike I would say
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    dwill wrote:
    i was told off a sales rep that the mark up on bikes is at least 100% most of the time more , the same rep got me a bike for my wife for £50 less than half the rrp so yes i think were being well shafted.

Where I work we get around 10-15% mark up on bikes, this is why we don't operate on the cycle to work scheme, they want 10% of the sale for setting it up.I wouldn't say this was shafting the customer at all.
  • dwill
    dwill Posts: 150
    im just speaking from experience, btw im a cnc machinist and have noticed that the words cnc machined on parts adds at least £30/40 on parts, once a program is written stems seatposts etc can be produced for pennies depending on the size of the batch being produced and they sell for upto what £70 its a joke so shafted yes we are for definate
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    And forged parts are usually stronger anyway lol, but many are given a going over in the CNC machine.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    10-40% mark up on bikes, mostly ~20% though, the sales rep was talking a load of crap about 100% mark up. As for £50 under 50% of the RRP, I'll bet it wasn't a current year model bike or was a tiny frame....
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    edited June 2010
    What ever bike shops charge is all relative.The long and short of it is whatever the raw materials cost.If that cost rises then the end of the line (lbs etc)charges will be more.I work in the steelworks where we produce the raw material and our prices have just increased by £80 per tonne,this WILL have a knock-on effect.
  • ozzy38
    ozzy38 Posts: 8
    Hi all my first post and i thought ill give my tuppence worth on my LBS..Went to shop to ask for a decent bike with a budget of £350 hardtail with disc and front suspension and he told me up it to £370 to get what i wanted! so had a look didnt like the bike then i spotted a claud butler in the back a cape wrath D27 07 model, how much for that i ask he says £670 ooooh i thought looks nice as well! The LBS owner then procceeds to tell me the benefits of owning such a bike and it sounded good so in the end i said i`ll ask the other half to see if i could stretch the finance! Got home went on the internet and found the same spec bike for £370 and now i rest my case!! :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    karen44 wrote:
    we are in the middle of the most savage recession since the thirties yet bike prices have gone through the roof

You don't think these things might be connected? The pound's weak and most bike parts are imported. Also luxuries like expensive mountain bikes are going to be harder to sell, and lower volumes means covering the same overheads with less units sold, which means price rises.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • My experience of the LBS has been largely positive, though as I've got both better known and started doing more myself (with the associated occasionally appearing asking for small bits from the parts bin) they've become more friendly.

In fact one of the Junior Mechanics offered to bring his 29'er in and let me have a muck about to see if it was my kind of thing. Now all I need to do is persuade them to give me standing discount rather than me having to haggle every time I spend a significant sum.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Of course LBSs have a role to play.

Every time I've poped into mine they seem to be aligning someones breaks, fixing a puncture - some people (certainly in London) are cash rich and time poor, others are just mechanically inept, some just can't be assed and would rather pay... sorry about this but quite a few Women ride (commute) and most (more than men) simply have no idea about bike so have to use a shop/mechanic to fix stuff that breaks or wears out.

The thing most people forget on here is we are all avid bike fanatics who can fix anything that goes wrong with our steeds and know where are best deals are to be had if we can wait.... most jobs can, so we don't have the inclination to ever use our LBS unless we're passing to go and have a look, we get our ogle time online to see what we want or need.

Joe average, who is not into bikes, but still rides will use an LBS for everything as they have no choice - they don't know what parts they needs should their drive train be shot.... we do as avid bikers and will always be looking to keep the best bike we can going, saving as much cash as we can along the way... That's the internet for most.

As an avid biker... The only things that I buy from an LBS is...

Helmet - always best to ensure it fits, and unless you're buying a known product LBS is the best place to test fit and buy.

Gear cables

Patches and tubes.

The odd tool.

That's it.

Perhaps shops should change tack a bit and be more machanically focused.... even try going to where the demand is for fixing things and in my view that's the commuter hubs - train stations, town centres, large corporates with lots of cycling commuters - with mobile workshops to activley find customers as we all know you'll struggle if you try to fight the internet... The internet is unable to offer hands on fixing of things... Follow the market rather than trying to fight it... the market is there if you adapt....
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    Perhaps shops should change tack a bit and be more machanically focused.... even try going to where the demand is for fixing things and in my view that's the commuter hubs - train stations, town centres, large corporates with lots of cycling commuters - with mobile workshops to activley find customers as we all know you'll struggle if you try to fight the internet... The internet is unable to offer hands on fixing of things... Follow the market rather than trying to fight it... the market is there if you adapt....

good idea.