Q-Rings

andrewgturnbull
andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
Hi folks.

I'm thinking of putting Q-Rings on my TT bike. Has anyone got any experience of them?

Cheers, Andy

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pokerface has...
  • A team mate uses them and claim they work, but I've read papers both for and against them. Possibly best to save your monies!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    A team mate uses them and claim they work, but I've read papers both for and against them. Possibly best to save your monies!

Just out of curiosity, what does he claim they do for him? :? :?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Yes I have them. Yes they work. I have spoken with many other users of them and they all seem to like them.

Will they help you? Only way to find out is try them. They DO feel a little odd at first but then again, so did Sram shifting, etc.

Everyone I know that uses them likes them for climbing more than spinning. Although I personally like them for spinning also.

Some Pros (like Wiggins) use O-Symetric rings on their TT rigs.

One thing I CAN say is - if you buy them and don't like them, you'll have no problem getting most of your money back on eBay.
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    i use them as well, benefit i find is being able to ride a gear bigger without stressing the knees. downside is a slightly less efficient upshift on the chainrings as you need the dérailleur set higher
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    are they like biopace. i had some years ago and thought they improved power delivery, nothing scientific though. leverage does change around the stroke so maybe something in it.
  • Pokerface
    Not like Biopace at all. They took everything BioPace did wrong and fixed it.
  • dennisn wrote:
    A team mate uses them and claim they work, but I've read papers both for and against them. Possibly best to save your monies!

Just out of curiosity, what does he claim they do for him? :? :?

It just "feels better" apparently...
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Pokerface
    GO about halfway down the page:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... c&start=20

Lots of links to studies about Q-Rings. Some say they work. Some say they don't. But at least you'll be informed and can then make up your own mind.
  • For those with crank based power meters, be aware that they will also introduce an error into the power readings.
  • andrewgturnbull
    Hi there.

Thanks all for your comments. I've ordered a single 54T aero chainring for my TT bike now - if it works out then I might get the matching inner ring, and think about putting them on my road bike too... if not I'll punt it on ebay.

Unless Dennis is interested in trying something different...

I'll let you know!

Cheers, Andy
  • what brakes
    what brakes Posts: 328
    Can you give us an update once youve tested it!

Im intrigued by them and remember a similar system a long time ago when i was first starting out in mountain biking!

I am thinking of getting the Q rings for my main road bike?
  • roy.c
    roy.c Posts: 6
    Hi Andrew
    I've just got a 53 for my TT bike & will try it out in anger tonight.
    I wonder if the 54 might be a bit on the hard side to push round (without a change of cassette), as I understand from another website that the 53 tooth is equivalent to a 56 during the power phase of the pedal rotation (and a 51 through the dead spot).

I'll be interested to see if any extra speed comes from higher cadence or pushing a bigger gear - has to one or the other (or a combination of both) as both my old chainring and the q ring are 53 tooth.
  • andrewgturnbull
    roy.c wrote:
    Hi Andrew
    I've just got a 53 for my TT bike & will try it out in anger tonight.
    I wonder if the 54 might be a bit on the hard side to push round (without a change of cassette), as I understand from another website that the 53 tooth is equivalent to a 56 during the power phase of the pedal rotation (and a 51 through the dead spot).

I'll be interested to see if any extra speed comes from higher cadence or pushing a bigger gear - has to one or the other (or a combination of both) as both my old chainring and the q ring are 53 tooth.

Hi roy - I understood that the 54 was equivalent of a 56 at the high spot and a 52 at the low - I may be wrong though. I had a 54 tooth chainring on there, so I figured I'd replace like for like - i.e. I don't have to recalculate the cadence/speed rules of thumb I have in my head.

If you could push your 53 over the top of the pedal stroke, then you'll have no trouble with the 52 minimum diameter on the q-ring. The downstroke isn't the tricky bit of the pedal stroke.

Cheers, Andy