London2Brighton - how to get home

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Hi CoopsterThe1st and Monkey Monster. I 've just PM'ed both of you about meeting up to head back. Probably need to hang around til later to wait for work colleagues, but just an extra option for me. Cheers.
  • kelsen
    Just got your PM Coopster. Thanks!
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Looks like my decision has been made for me, didn't get a chance to drive the car down today so should see you all for the ride home!
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    They say you have to pre book but you can still pay and get on the coach. The bikes go back on a lorry and they give you a bit of bubble wrap to put around them.......and then they throw them on and off the lorry like demented binmen
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    I'll be at Arch5 handing out route cards and stamping start cards. A nice 4:30 start for me tomorrow :(
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    we'll aim to meet you there then Odd :)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    So how did everyone find it? busy? :lol:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Maybe they aren't back yet ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • MonkeyMonster
    yeah, annoying so in bits and so many tards who don't know what a bike is let alone how to ride one. But hell yeah it was fun. Had to cut it short my self riding back the way at only 30 miles or so to be a nice guy and make sure friend got home safely - my bro-in-law, canny and cooper got to dorking before bailing on the return leg.

Still all in good fun.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Aidy wrote:
    That's right, get the sob stories and excuses in early whilst you can! :)

:lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Maybe they aren't back yet ;-)

Back but only just :?

Route was interesting and good once we had cleared Brighton and got into the country lanes.Really struggled getting back.

We all had to bail and get a train at some point. Myself, CannyJock and Lee made it to Dorking, ducking out 20 miles short, the others were going to try getting the train for Horsham.

To all who were in the group, the map distances were accurate. I was reading it wrong off my computer. We did 40 miles to get to Dorking and it was 2600ft of climbing. We were only 20 miles short of riding all the way back!
  • kelsen
    London - Brighton - Croydon in total of 6h 44min.

7.30am start so resigned myself to going slow and pootled along with work colleagues until well out of London. A bit of last minute fettling before the start screwed up the shifting in my front derailleur so I ended up climbing Ditchling Beacon in the big ring and out of the saddle all the way up! Saw quite a few crashes along the way. Hope none too serious. I heard they closed Ditchling in the afternoon due to an accident so anyone caught up behind it would have been badly delayed! All in all, quite a good day but I doubt I would do it again. They need to start restricting the number of people as there're far too many at times.

Oh, and I can confirm cycle paths are a hazard to cyclists! Followed the A23 all the way back. Punctured due to the debris on the side of the carriageway so after fixing it started using the shared ped/cycle paths. These have a kerb and at one point I stopped for a left turning car. Misjudged the edge as I was too busy looking out for the car, fell off the kerb, couldn't unclip in time, ended up sprawled at the side of the road. Woman passenger just stared at me with her mouth wide open as the car drove off into the distance :oops:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Done it!
    Barnet to Brighton and back. Cycled all the way. Didn't meet up with anyone from on here, but did meet up with a couple of guys halfway there and cycled back with them.
    Bike computer busted so not sure of distances, times etc, but it must have been around 130+ miles.
    Last minute fettling cocked up my gears so had to freewheel down from the top of Ditchling to Brighton, but applied a temporary fix once I was there for the ride home.
    Home safe and sound. Knackered so time for a shower and bed.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Done it!
    Barnet to Brighton and back. Cycled all the way.
    :shock: From the guy who said he did't bother with the stats league because he doesn't do many miles.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Done it!
    Barnet to Brighton and back. Cycled all the way. Didn't meet up with anyone from on here, but did meet up with a couple of guys halfway there and cycled back with them.
    Bike computer busted so not sure of distances, times etc, but it must have been around 130+ miles.
    Last minute fettling cocked up my gears so had to freewheel down from the top of Ditchling to Brighton, but applied a temporary fix once I was there for the ride home.
    Home safe and sound. Knackered so time for a shower and bed.
    i did barnet to brighton a few months ago it was 72miles one way.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited June 2010
    Left around 7.30am (Oddjob can confirm this)

London2Brighton.

Everything everyone says about it is correct, even the stuff that contradicts what each person is saying was correct.

London:
    The route out of London was 'prickly'. You don't expect traffic weirdly, especially those going in the same direction as 27,000 cyclist. Couldn't help but feel sorry for the driver, he probably only stepped out for a Sunday Paper....

People were generally going at their pace but some were riding like idiots going as far as to mount pavements even though we had a whole lane. You can tell who has commuting experience and who hasn't. I spent most my time in London sprinting between groups of riders trying desperately not to be boxed in by pootlers.

Between London an Brighton
    Out of London it was fun, right up until the first hill as everyone was walking which made it both unsafe and impossible to ride up. There was however, a man on a tandem with a kid who managed it, barely. The hill walking was to be repeated twice more. I have no problem with people walking up the first hill on a ride but my issue is that with roughly 27,000 people there was at no point a moment where I wasn't surrounded by other bikes. It was an endless stream of bikes. Needless to say the moment we bottled necked and walked up hill, all of us (by which I mean anything up to 50-100 in front and the same amount behind, maybe more) went down hill at the same time. Going down hill surrounded by cyclists of varying abilities is a worry. Point in case; and this is where the route organisers are at fault. A black lady on a Specialized Carbon was ahead of me going down the hill (the 2nd hill, I think, for those of you who rode the ride) as the road became flat the event warden had to stop cyclists for a junction. Now I'm looking far up the road I can see the pile-up, so on the breaks slowing gently as not to be rear ended. The black lady didn't, she waited until the last minute to skid and her bike bucked sideways, mid skid, in protest. She was a millimeter away from having an off.

After that it was rolling flats, DondaddyD terrain; ploughing the field with shouts of "on your right" as I dug a path of awesome. A dude in sky kit gave chase, but was soon reaped away as I got above my third to final gear. Eventually I caught up to monkeymoster, who is a strong climber!

Ditchling

Ditchling isn't that steep, its long and the further you get up the wider the "walking lane" gets. Then there is having to overtake or move around slower climbers therefore exerting more energy. I didn't climb all of Ditchling, I got about 3quaters of the way up, until I felt I couldn't keep my momentum (boxed in by slower guys) so hoped off and walked. To be honest, I probably wouldn't have made it all the way up any way.

Brighton
    The ride into Brighton and that ending, where 1000's people clapping and cheering. I would do the whole ride again for that. The feeling was special!

The ride back
    The route back was enjoyable. It has to be said a really good route showing off the beauties of the English country side. A paracetamol and deep heat rubbed into the back of my ankles (the tendon) and I bailed out at Horsham with Monkey Monster and friend. Mentally I think I could have gone on - to Dorking at least - but I couldn't put any power into my ankles, they were spent. Getting a little tired of them hurting so much anytime I go over 40-50miles.

My stamina impressed me and I can manage bigger hills than I could in January. Speed and strength are just awesome.

Lessons learned: Lower my seat, explore new cleat system, work on hills, core strength and I want a TT bike.

Special mention: All the pubs, shops, towns and fairs that welcomed cyclists and had things like biscuits and stuff for sale, that was nice. The people who were simply standing by the side, clapping waving (England) flags cheering us on and the kids wanting hi-fives. If you closed your eyes and forgot 'charity ride' it felt like something akin to a bike race televised on Eurosport. And it makes me wonder, if all these people welcomed cyclists so freely and clearly it creates business for them (there were a few pubs on that route I wouldn't mind revisiting on my bike) is England really that anti-cyclist? Or is it just a vocal few capitalising on the dangers of cycling?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Would I do the ride again?

I would do it if someone new to cycling, like my brother or Ms DDD wanted to do it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I would do it if someone new to cycling, like my brother or Ms DDD wanted to do it.

If I could find somewhere in the area to stay I would love to try it. (starting VERY early)

My friends in Horsham inconsiderately moved to Yorkshire so that's out. :?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    People at work were asking me if I had done it/would do it. To be honest it just sounds frustrating to me. Everyone walking at the slightest incline (thus me being forced to walk up in cleats), clueless newbies on BSOs which have been at the back of the shed all winter weaving all over the road causing crashes... I think I'll give it a miss!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • MonkeyMonster
    I would if I could get 7am or earlier slot. I'd then try to put the power down early and get past as many as possible. Maybe not stop if possible and just filter at speed like on the racetrack :D

Its nice to get clapped on the way from loads of nice peoples.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Well done chaps, sounds like you all had a fairly decent ride, or at least made the best of riding along with 90% riders who haven't been out on a bike since the last BHF :-)

I'm tempted to have a crack at a L2B(2L) ride, maybe something to do next summer as I know have a viable mobile mapping solution :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    DonDaddyD wrote:

If I could find somewhere in the area to stay I would love to try it. (starting VERY early)

My friends in Horsham inconsiderately moved to Yorkshire so that's out. :?

What you want to do is start so early, it's midnight :wink:fnrttc.blogspot.com
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • MonkeyMonster
    Going to do the blenheim sportive with lee in october - so more training required... oh the shame of it :D
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ditchling

Ditchling isn't that steep, its long and the further you get up the wider the "walking lane" gets. Then there is having to overtake or move around slower climbers therefore exerting more energy. I didn't climb all of Ditchling, I got about 3quaters of the way up, until I felt I couldn't keep my momentum (boxed in by slower guys) so hoped off and walked. To be honest, I probably wouldn't have made it all the way up any way.

Oh stop making excuses, it's a cakewalk....no, actually it isn't. Certainly it's straightforward enough to get up the Beacon- at least when the roads are quiet- but the fitter riders of my acquaintance don't seem to get how taxing it is for the rest of us. You're almost certainly fit enough to get up there, DDD. If I can do it, you can...
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • BlackandBlue
    BlackandBlue Posts: 1,467
    kelsen wrote:

I heard they closed Ditchling in the afternoon due to an accident so anyone caught up behind it would have been badly delayed!

This could have been the reason. RIP

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23847151-charity-ride-cyclist-dies-on-final-ascent.do
  • Canny Jock
    Had a great day overall, there were some frustrations and I would only do it again if I was starting very early. The first 10 miles I didn't enjoy due to the constant stopping, and later on although things free'd up enough to get a reasonable pace, it was pretty dangerous due to the speed differential and general terrible riding. Saw about 3 or 4 people being treated at the side of the road with ambulances in attendance, all looking quite seriously injured. We heard form someone later that the Beacon was closed so the air ambulance could attend, don't know the details though.

So that was the bad stuff, but there was lots of good things as well. Made it up the Beacon OK (practising up Shooters Hill had helped!) although it was a bit wobbly at points because of the traffic. The run down the other side was fantastic, and due to the pace reached Brighton fairly fresh. As the others said, the reception was fantastic, it really was a great finish. Chapeau to the people I saw doing it on roller blades!

The ride home (or most of the way home as it turned out) was great - although by the time we hit Dorking I was really feeling it, and couldn't have done much more in the way of hills. It was really nice to meet Laurence "I can smell my ankles" DDD, Ian "Skeleton" MonkeyMonster and Martin "Aero Position" Coopster - and thanks very much Martin for sorting the route, I'd have struggled on my own. Lee handled it all well, and for Rachel to do that distance after only 3 months cycling was impressive.

The ride back was a really nice route - a little busy and hilly at first but then we managed miles on quiet roads, with lovely scenery and 'rolling' hills - some of them hurt because of the distance we'd done though.

Using Google maps and Lee's computer, seems like I did about 116 miles. It's the first long ride I've done, and it's really got me keen to do more - possibly the 70 mile BikeRadar one in a couple of week starting at Brands if anyone is up for it?

And I managed to ride in this morning, it felt OK but I think it's going to hit hard tomorrow!
  • MonkeyMonster
    Was very gallant of monsewer Canny Jock to carry my friends bag so she could struggle on as long as she did. Though quite handy I think that it slowed you a little :D I would have wanted to come along with you three and after speaking to Lee would have been fine too - I still had more than a bit in the tank. She hoovered an entire large soreen on the train in about 20 minutes.
    Good to meet you two too. Well up for more bike radar sportives for sure.
  • kelsen
    kelsen wrote:

I heard they closed Ditchling in the afternoon due to an accident so anyone caught up behind it would have been badly delayed!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23847151-charity-ride-cyclist-dies-on-final-ascent.do

That is sad news :(
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Must have been a bad day for heart problems. I was out on Sun with Dulwich Paragon for a swift 70 miler. As we came back through SE London up to Elmer's End, there was a paramedic crew trying to resuscitate a cyclist, pounding on his heart, using those electric shock pad things (can't for the life of me remember what they're called) by the side of the road.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Canny Jock
    kelsen wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

That is sad news :(

That's horrible, what a tragedy.