London2Brighton - how to get home

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
OK seriously,

I'm doing the London2Brighton bike ride.

Assuming I cannot arrange for someone to give me a lift home and I'm not up for riding back home, how do I get back?

People have said that you can't get a train from Brighton but you can get one further up the line. Has anyone done this and if so what train station?

Thanks in advance,

Laurence
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Hmmm - having the same issue at the moment due to lack of planning and unreliable friends.

Currently thinking of driving down tomorrow, parking my car near Brighton and getting the train back, then driving home on Sunday. If I could guarantee getting on a train near-ish to Brighton I'd do that, if not then I may have a spare seat and bike rack space. I'll let you know once I've sorted out what I'm doing.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    It's only 54 miles, I really don't get why any moderately serious cyclist wouldn't just ride back.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Never seen you sign off Laurence, before... You must be serious!

Can't you just employ those thighs of god like proportions to take you to a station a bit further up the line or a few miles along the coast to another town and catch the train from there?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • DonDaddyD
    Very serious,

I'm aiming to ride back with MonkeyMonster but an alternate option would be nice... If I can't handle it.

Which, train station further up the line? I was told that no trains from Brighton going into London will let you take a bike on the train...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Aidy
    edited June 2010
    That's right, get the sob stories and excuses in early whilst you can! :)
  • Canny Jock
    Aidy, I only started cycling again in September, so although I am keen and looking to do more I've never cycled further than 40 miles and the biggest hill I've climbed is Shooters!

Having said that, I am still considering cycling back and I notice a few people from here are planning it - still an option.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    aye canny, we've got about 5 people now as a mini peleton with a nice route that cooper the 1st came up with. Starting back around 1ish. more than welcome to join in.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DiabloJoe
    DiabloJoe Posts: 12
    A quick Google and i found this

Southern
    http://www.southernrailway.com/your-jou ... bike-ride/
    has a PDF file showing the stations that are restrictive as well as some info
    Boardman Hybrid Pro 2009
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105 Compact 2010
  • Canny Jock
    If I'm leaving at 7.30, will I be there for 1 do you think?
  • Aidy
    Canny Jock wrote:

10mph average?
  • MonkeyMonster
    Canny Jock wrote:

yeah, should be,

we're starting at 7 but not planning to go *that* fast with having two ladies in the team. Bit of lunch and turn around to head back at 1ish is the plan.
  • DonDaddyD
    I don't thik I'll get up Ditchling... Coombe Bottom hill was my limit and this seems steeper and longer... :cry:

Canny, send an email with your mobile to either me or Monkey (if he doesn't mind) that way when we are there we will text you to see if you want to join us for the route back. I would say we could join you at 7.30pm but Monkey seems very 'Darth Vadar' like particular about starting at 7am on the dot. :lol:

The more the merrier on the way back I think!
    Food Chain number = 4

• MonkeyMonster
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't thik I'll get up Ditchling... Coombe Bottom hill was my limit and this seems steeper and longer... :cry:

Canny, send an email with your mobile to either me or Monkey (if he doesn't mind) that way when we are there we will text you to see if you want to join us for the route back. I would say we could join you at 7.30pm but Monkey seems very 'Darth Vadar' like particular about starting at 7am on the dot. :lol:

The more the merrier on the way back I think!

:D I want to be able to cycle for all of it if possible and not get off and push because of blocked roads ahead... Ditchling is going to be done without feet touching. If you don't then I shall forever call you silly names and point.
  • Canny Jock
    So I've been practising riding up Shooters Hill every night this week (although maybe not today - had a few beers watching Germany lose). I'm guessing Ditchling is more challenging but by how much?

I'll hopefully be there by 1 but I guess it depends more on the congestion than how fast you are willing to ride? DDD, have PM'd you my number, let me know yours and I'll get in touch - as I said either to join you or offer someone a lift home depending on what I decide to do.

Oh, and could someone post a link to the proposed route in case it all goes wrong and I cycle back on my own?
  • MonkeyMonster
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    if i did it there and back it would be 150 miles....
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    spasypaddy wrote:
    That almost sounds like you're contemplating it...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Aidy
    spasypaddy wrote:

And?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    spasypaddy wrote:
    if i did it there and back it would be 150 miles.......hmmm...how can I make it 200?

Fixed it for you!
  • Aidy
    kelsen wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    if i did it there and back it would be 150 miles.......hmmm...how can I make it 200?

Fixed it for you!

:)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    JonGinge wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    That almost sounds like you're contemplating it...
    cant i work at a certain bike shop on sundays.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'm considering doing L2B return (only considering because my dodgy knee has been playing up so I don't want to commit and have to back out).
    The mini-peloton thing sounds great, can I join in please?

I haven't entered so I won't be part of the official ride. I'm planning to just join the melee some where in dirty SLondon.

PM me to arrange a link up.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    You can pay up at Hove lawn and get the coach back to Clapham
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Ride back you lazy gimp!!
  • Canny Jock
    dugliss wrote:

Can you? I thought you had to prebook? Do they take bikes on?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Canny Jock wrote:
    dugliss wrote:

Can you? I thought you had to prebook? Do they take bikes on?

From what I've heard they actually throw bikes on.......

DDD - You'll be fine up Ditchling! Really need to get you out on more hills to practise but at the end of the day despite what your head is telling you it's not a race. Assuming you can ride find a comfortable gear and concentrate on a nice rhythm!

FWIW I got the train back from Hove (I think) when I did the C2C - £15 back to East Croydon!! I'd say ride back, if you've had some food in between the 2 rides you should be fine, your in a group on hopefully rolling roads which will make things a lot easier and you'll almost burst when you complete your imperial century :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Ditchling isn't really that tough as hills go; it's the volume of cyclists that causes the problem. As long as you can emit the phrase 'Coming through - make way please' or 'walk on the left or right please' in a loud clear voice, you'll ride up it. On a clear day it wouldn't be an issue.

It's terraced, so you get a bit of climbing, a bit of flatter stuff, then a bit more climb. Repeat a few times until you suddenly find the crest in sight. Easy.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    CiB wrote:
    It's terraced, so you get a bit of climbing, a bit of flatter stuff, then a bit more climb. Repeat a few times until you suddenly find the crest in sight. Easy.

Furthermore the bends mean you can't see far up it to get intimidated by it. Besides, should take less than 10 minutes. If you can't grit your teeth for 10 minutes and MTFU, what can you do?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DonDaddyD
    Is the route back hilly?
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    Is the route back hilly?

Not really. Only hills I know of are getting out of Brighton and Pebble Hill near Dorking.

The route has been chosen to allow any of us to bail at Dorking which would be about 30 miles back (80 in total)

Also, I suspect you will have not used much energy cycling to Brighton due to you not being able to cycle as your usual pace. This should mean you easily have the energy to get up Ditchling Beacon. Also, the ride to Brighton will be all down wind.

Also, hoping for you to join for your knowledge of South London.

I'll throw this open to the everyone, is the A217 a good road to use to cycle back to Clapham from the south?

And how many more chances will you get to repeatedly scalp Monkeymonster?

And the more the merrier. PM MonkeyMonster or myself if you want to join the road train back