Training for Lands End to John O'groats

armsonfire
armsonfire Posts: 35
hi, im doing lands end to john o'groats in may/june time next year. just wondering what sort of training and timelines for the training you guys would recommend. any tips/advice would be grateful!

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    The CTC has a thread on LEJOG here

I was planning to do it over 9 days, averaging 100 miles per day in around 6 hours. As long as I could ride 100 miles in a day without killing myself, and I ate well before, during and after, I was happy to just launch into it.

Might be worth doing a couple of 100 or 200km Audaxes to get a feel for your fitness.

Worth thinking about a comfortable bike, decent clothing etc as much as the fitness. There's nothing like raw scabby knackers to ruin the fun of an epic event.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Some guys from my club did LeJog http://addiscombe.org/members/phpBB2/vi ... =3&t=11308
    I'm sure they'd be happy to help.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Don't neglect hill training. The hardest part of the tour will be the first couple of days in Cornwall/Devon, some ridiculous gradients there if you're avoiding the busy dual carriageways. Hills involve a different riding technique, and muscle use. You might get quite a shock if all your training is in relatively flat areas and aren't used to grannying it up the 10th 15% hill of the day with loaded panniers.

Other than that, if you can comfortably do a 50 mile ride, you'll be fine. Enjoy it, I did it in '08 and it was incredible. :)
  • :D Hi, Did you manage to do it? Going to complete it myself this year, but starting at J.O.G. Going to complete it over 7 days and just wondering what training you did along with food, energy, hydration etc :?: :P ??

Cheers.
  • I did it in 2010 in 6.5 days (far better than saying 7) I did it solo and unsupported just staying in B&b's wherever I ended up that night. I was not a cyclist really (out once in my bike in 2 years prior to starting training on April 4 that year) I did the LEJOG by 5th August so I would have to say its not something you need years to train for. I just went out on my bike and progressively did longer long rides..getting my first ever century in after a month and trying to do that distance at least every second weekend for the next couple of months. Through the week I was doing either around 20 or 40 miles most nights. I have to say that I did have a level of fitness from a winter of doing spin classes at the gym...other than that hadnt donemuch since a major back op 3 years earlier.

Food....that was the great thing.....I ate whatever I liked...i was doing an average of 134 miles per day up 'til the last day which was a bit shorter) I had a good breakfast massive dinner...cake in afternoon then a huge tea...problem was not eating so much once I finished (sad to say after reaching JOG the next time I got on my bike ws the following May....howver things have changed now as got back into it and did Etape du tour acte 2 last year and doing Snow Roads and La Marmotte this summer

This link will take you to my blog....huge amount of info on that site and CTC
    http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/index. ... &Itemid=93
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    I did it in 2010 in 6.5 days (far better than saying 7) I did it solo and unsupported just staying in
    This link will take you to my blog....huge amount of info on that site and CTC
    http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/index. ... &Itemid=93

Fair play - thats a good effort. Loved the bit about the lost cycle computer, properly funny.

I would love to have a go at this one day, I was born on the Orkney Islands so have been to JOG many a time, next time hopefully on my bike!
  • NELLY2488
    NELLY2488 Posts: 25
    Its just over 4 weeks till I do it now along with 7 others, looking forward to it and also c******g it as well!!
  • grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    One thing i learned on our lejog was don't go hard at it, pace yourself. Our second day we ended up chasing lads on a run whilst carrying four panniers worth of camping gear. I think it took a bit out of us. You'll feel fit and fresh but it's a long way.
  • NELLY2488
    NELLY2488 Posts: 25
    :roll: We are starting at JOG, booked B&B or Travel Lodge so have to get to points every day!! Back wheel on my bike just started playing up as well and running out of true. There Easton EA30's so back to LBS who are going back to Cube with them as they have repaired it twice already