Front wheel quick release - Carrera Fury

bdigital
bdigital Posts: 193
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I managed to pop my front tube on a ride, and a mate changed it for me.

Ever since something has not been quite right with my font wheel, it feels like it has some play in it, and it is possible to move it slightly left/right , forward/back.

I have a feeling that he didnt put all the quick release parts back together in the right order.

Any Fury owners out there got a picture of the quick release bits that i can copy? or perhaps someone could provide me with some advice?

thank you

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like the bearings are loose and the cones and lock nuts need adjusting.

both Sheldon and parktools have guides.

the QR has nothing to do with hub movement. (other than stopping the wheel falling out).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    nicklouse wrote:
    the QR has nothing to do with hub movement. (other than stopping the wheel falling out).

I have found there can be some movement if it is lose, thats just the whole thing moving in the dropouts though
  • bdigital
    Thanks nickouse - i have looked at parktools under hub service, and il be honest - its a little over my skill/knowledge level (not to mention i dont have the tools & equipment).

I was thinking that maybe he missed a spacer or something when putting the wheel back on. But i guess im going to have to take it in to my lbs for a checkup :(
  • wilko193
    wilko193 Posts: 89
    Ok so below are two images of the QR on my mountain bike - not the same hubs as the fury but still the same idea.....

4709716867_68d6117a9d.jpg

4710359484_f6b8aacb7c.jpg

Make sure that the know in the first image is tightened enough that when you go to close the lever there is moderate resistance..... you shouldnt struggle to undo it unsing just a couple of fingers, though

What happens is the cone in the first image and the part inside of the lever on the right hand side tighten against the fork and hold the wheel in place - check this is true on your bike :)
    Boardman Road Pro 2010
    Viper Carbon Lite 2008 Custom Build
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The QR is just a skewer with a lever on one end, a nut on other, and a conical spring inside each end.

If it's the hubs, you probably don't need to service them, just loosen the locknuts a bit, tighten up the cones, and re-tighten the locknuts, while holding the cone to stop it overtightening. If it wobbles, it's too loose, if it feels rough it's too tight.

Just need two spanners.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Why would you take the QR apart? You just turn the lever, push the red bit, and the whole assembly slides through.

If it's not locking right, turn the red nut until the lever meets resistance halfway closed.
  • nicklouse
    peter413 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

I have found there can be some movement if it is lose, thats just the whole thing moving in the dropouts though
    how?

the out side of the hub is normally a, tight is the wrong word but, tight fit and the hud will sit there quite happily. if when the Qr is tightened the hub can move along the axle then it has to be the bearings.

bdigital

try this

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    nicklouse wrote:
    peter413 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

how?

the out side of the hub is normally a, tight is the wrong word but, tight fit and the hud will sit there quite happily. if when the Qr is tightened the hub can move along the axle then it has to be the bearings.

I only read 'the front wheel' not the hub in specific. I agree the axel should not be moving inside the hub.

What I meant was it feels like the cup and cones are loose when in fact the wheel is loose in the dropouts which means it can move, so you feel movement if you jiggle it. It will often drop out if you leave it like this (not to mention the fact that you will destroy the dropouts and possibly the axel) so never EVER leave it like this. It doesn't feel nice to ride anyway with a wheel moving, whether its because it's loose or it needs adjusted
  • bdigital
    Hiya - some really good info & pictures here that im trying to get my head round :)

Thanks for the link nicklouse - This looks a little more simple for my simple mind :P - Although i must admit, the parts on the QR on the diagram look very different to the QR on my Fury. I may have to take a picture of mine and post. (but i will study the link in more detail)

To answer chedabobs question - The QR kind of came out in bits when my freind replaced the tube on a ride (instead of sliding out in one nice piece! )

Im interested about the red cone you mention though, because this is currently not on the end of the skewer, it is just before the nut, which is at the end.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    WHat is the hub and fork? Is it the Epicon with the Q Loc?
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    bdigital wrote:

To answer chedabobs question - The QR kind of came out in bits when my freind replaced the tube on a ride (instead of sliding out in one nice piece! )

Hmm, wonder if the skewer has snapped? But then the wheel should fall out I suppose.

Check that your skewer is as shown below. If you want to remove to check, you unscrew the bit on the right of the photo, remove the spring and then slide out from the other end. Make sure the springs are on the correct way around when you put back together.

quick-release-skewer.jpg

If it's all like that then there's probably something else. If the QR is loose then the wheel will wobble in the dropout as it's not all torqued up.

If your QR is as the piccy, then it's more likely that the bearing cups have worked loose.
    Craig Rogers
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    bdigital it sounds to me that you should go on a basic maintenance course (offered by various shops around the country). If you can't change a punctured tube or take a wheel off properly then it sounds like that's the problem.

There is no need to take a quick release out to drop a wheel - just loose the lever and the whole wheel comes off with the QR still in there. It is a QR wheeel you have isn't it?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    I've just checked and if your bike is a 2010 Carrera Fury it doesn't have a front QR at all, it is a 15mm Maxle-type fork. You need to make sure the axle is screwed in tightly before you push the lever down and if it's anything like a maxle it needs to go down in the right place where there is a bit of a slot in the end of the axle. Did your bike not come with instructions?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • chedabob
    There's a service manual on the Suntour site for the Epicon that has an exploded view of the 15mm QLOC. Might help with putting it back together. If it fell apart when your mate pulled it out, sounds like something fucked up elsewhere and you should get Halfords to have a look.
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    PIC00001.jpg
    NOT great pictures but thats how it should look.
    PIC00002.jpg
    If its all coming apart the circlip must be missing from in here,it keeps all the parts together.Sorry for the pictures but my camera is on its last legs.
  • bdigital
    Hi everyone - briliant replies. Really helpful.

My bike is a 2009 Fury, Suntour Epicon forks with Q loc 15mm bolt through. The pictures above from piker are exactly what i have. My apologies if my termonology has confused things.

I went to Halfords to check out a Fury that they had in stock, but someone had nicked the axel assembly from it. Just my luck.

I spoke to the dude that built my bike (very helpful) and he took a look at it, and said a washer/spacer type thing was missing from the QR assembly.

He offered to take the bike in and give it the once over (free of charge checkup that Halfords offer within 3 months of purchase). I will be picking it up today.

Unfortunatley Halfords cannot supply me with the missing part, so i will have to look for a new one, or a complete new QR system from perhaps CRC.

After studying the exploded diagram in the service manual on the Suntour site i think im missing 16e and 16c.

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/SID=si ... &tnid=2617

Perhaps time to source a new axel assembly? :)

thanks again for the all input (and patience!)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try contacting Greyville Enterprises, who are the SR distributors.
  • piker
    Classic Halfords,cant get parts for the bikes they sell.
  • bdigital
    thanks Supersonic - I have mailed them, along with Suntour.

The part number for the Axle set is FKA069-00

Does anyone else have some suggestions as to where to i could get the axle set from??

cant believe i wont be able to ride until i get this sorted!
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    piker wrote:
    Classic Halfords,cant get parts for the bikes they sell.
    They can get that part, when I worked for them I phoned Greyville a few times to get Suntour spares & they are very helpfull. I reckon who ever he spoke too either didn't know this or couldn't be bothered. It would involve a call to the 2 wheel support chap to get it put on the Halfords computer system.
  • bdigital
    Well thanks to your tip of Salsa i suggested that they contact Greyville for me (when i picked up my bike after its check up)

So i am currently waiting to hear back from halfords. I have also emailed the company direct so that im not just waiting around doing nothing.

Fingers crossed the Axle set will not be too expensive, does anyone have any ball park estimates?

Gonna treat my bike to a nice clean in the meantime - seeing as i cant ride it about
  • bdigital
    I cant believe this.

Greville Enterprises are amazing.

Phoned them up myself (instead of waiting for halfords to do it)

I got straight through, no automated voice telling me to press one, no waiting.

The guy got an axle set, talked me through the parts step by step - and helped me identify the missing bit.

Its now winging its way to me in the post.

brilliant.

thanks for all the info everyone - Ive learnt a few things in the process :)
  • chedabob
    bdigital wrote:
    I cant believe this.

Greville Enterprises are amazing.

Phoned them up myself (instead of waiting for halfords to do it)

I got straight through, no automated voice telling me to press one, no waiting.

The guy got an axle set, talked me through the parts step by step - and helped me identify the missing bit.

Its now winging its way to me in the post.

brilliant.

thanks for all the info everyone - Ive learnt a few things in the process :)

Double check everything else on your bike in case something else messed up. I've heard of people that had loose crank bolts, stuff like that. Otherwise, enjoy your Fury :D I love mine, and just posting in this thread makes me want to get it out and go for a spin :P
  • bdigital
    Well - Its funny you mention that - Because me replacing the missing spring doesnt seem to me like it will solve the play in the wheel.

But ive just had it all checked over/tightened up by halfords so im hoping that it is the last area to explore.
  • bdigital
    Done.

I got the part straight away in the post. Fitted it, And all is sorted :) The bike feels good again.

Turned out to be a spring missing from the axel set.

Thanks for everyones help
  • nicklouse
    so it was not a Qr but the Suntour Qloc 15mm through axle?

qloc.jpg
  • piker
    nicklouse wrote:
    so it was not a Qr but the Suntour Qloc 15mm through axle?

qloc.jpg
    It sure was,
  • bdigital
    Thats correct Nick - See my earlier post apologising for using the wrong terminology and confusing things.