Music / Radio

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Prefer my own thoughts to those of others. Even on hundred mile solo rides I still find things to occupy my mind.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • magicrhodes
    magicrhodes Posts: 123
    Went out on my bike in The Peak yesterday after my post. Climbing from Ladybower back up the A57 to the Strines turining I was over taken by an ambulance. The road was closed ahead because a cyclist (roadie if it matter to you) who had been hit by a truck was lying in the road. I was told that the driver drove off but have no evidence of that other than there was no truck about.

It got me thinking about this thread again and I just can't advocate cycling with earphones. I have no idea if they had anything to do with the accident but WHY would you want limit your ability to avoid an accident????
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564

It got me thinking about this thread again and I just can't advocate cycling with earphones. I have no idea if they had anything to do with the accident but WHY would you want limit your ability to avoid an accident????

That sounds awful.

but by your argument why would you go out on your bike at all? You are much less likely to be knocked off your bike if you are not on one to start with.
  • magicrhodes
    WesternWay wrote:
    but by your argument why would you go out on your bike at all? You are much less likely to be knocked off your bike if you are not on one to start with.

I am not sorry but that is utter crap and not what I am saying at all. To complete your hyperbole why not just add "banning people from riding with earphones thats how Nazi Germany started!" :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    WesternWay wrote:

I am not sorry but that is utter crap and not what I am saying at all. To complete your hyperbole why not just add "banning people from riding with earphones thats how Nazi Germany

banning people from riding with earphones thats how Nazi Germany started started
  • richred_uk
    richred_uk Posts: 167
    WesternWay wrote:

banning people from riding with earphones thats how Nazi Germany started started

Ein Volk Ein Reich Keine Ipod
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I've tried it a couple of times, but didn't really like it. I couldn't really hear the music that well anyway, and the one "earbud" I had in kept falling out (my ears seem to be to wrong shape for earbug use...).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    WesternWay wrote:
    WesternWay wrote:

I am not sorry but that is utter crap and not what I am saying at all. To complete your hyperbole why not just add "banning people from riding with earphones thats how Nazi Germany

Godwin's Law
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I listen to the happy music in my head....

Lalalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

*wanders off distractedly, humming.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

Whenever I do that I always end up humming Alouette. Weird.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175

It comes as no surprise to anyone that Dave the Truck Driver is in a world of his own. Probably dreaming about stubble rash!

Are you like Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, where you have to drink something to change personas?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • magicrhodes
    Asprilla wrote:
    WesternWay wrote:
    WesternWay wrote:

Godwin's Law

I figured we were close enough to bring up Godwin.

Well recognised sir!
  • I do sometimes. I find that although it does marginally impair my hearing I tend to use my eyes more, always looking around to see what's where so I don't really feel in any danger.
    Dance like nobody is watching, ride like you're 10 minutes late!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Just been getting some earphones so I can listen to music while I'm out running.

I decded to check on here to see what the concensus about music while riding is. Today is the first day of using them for commuting and I think I like it. I play the music from my phone that is also running endomondo so now I can hear the stats for my journey. My missus sometimes follows my journey online and now I can hear her messages read out by endomondo.

I have the music pretty low so I can still hear traffic. I don't feel any less aware than when I wasn't listening to music. My only problem with the whole thing is sweaty ears.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • i've been busting the Spanish podcasts the last few months.

Brilliant. Cycling + learning. What more could you want.
  • :oops: I'd love to use an MP3. on the bike but where I ride- narrow lanes- blind bends - cars- cows - sheep you need every sense the big man gave you. I can see the appeal of the music but I'm afraid I would become too engrossed & probably suffer the consequencies.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    oodboo wrote:
    Just been getting some earphones so I can listen to music while I'm out running.

I decded to check on here to see what the concensus about music while riding is. Today is the first day of using them for commuting and I think I like it. I play the music from my phone that is also running endomondo so now I can hear the stats for my journey. My missus sometimes follows my journey online and now I can hear her messages read out by endomondo.

I have the music pretty low so I can still hear traffic. I don't feel any less aware than when I wasn't listening to music. My only problem with the whole thing is sweaty ears.

awwwwwww, dedication!!! :wink:
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Listen to music but dont have it so loud you can't hear other noises? Always commute with sounds and yesterday was out in Thetford Forest having a blast with my iPod singing away in my ear - wouldn't have it any other way :)