Music / Radio

aldric
aldric Posts: 161
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
I know of a few people who commute to work and use their Ipod...... This doesn't sound the brightest thing in the world to me as it could distract them.

Does anyone here use one? Or have you used one and realised that its a bad idea?

Comments

• WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    aldric wrote:
    I know of a few people who commute to work and use their Ipod...... This doesn't sound the brightest thing in the world to me as it could distract them.

Does anyone here use one? Or have you used one and realised that its a bad idea?

I am guilty of this.

I can't dispute that probably not listening would be better, but I think that the hearing thing is more marginal than you would think. I hear traffic despite the music, and at any sort of lick wind noise is the dominant noise with or without headphones I think.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I listen to the radio, however, I only use a single earphone.
  • WesternWay
    danowat wrote:

and never inhale?

I do this too sometimes
  • wizzlebanger
    wizzlebanger Posts: 177
    I commute where the roads are quieter than London so I don't listen to music so I can always hear traffic approaching from behind.

Personally, anything that degrades one of my main senses that keep me safer on the road isn't worth it.

But I wouldn't tell someone not to use earphones as ultimately it's your choice. :)
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I started with music, stopped for 6 months and just started again for sanity reasons (17 miles each way). I also just cycled 1400 miles across Europe with music, again I'd have gone insane at 80 miles a day.

As above, I have music in one ear, its not caused me any issues, it tends to keep me more alert and I check over my should religiously with it on.
  • danowat
    WesternWay wrote:
    danowat wrote:

and never inhale?

I do this too sometimes

I dunno, I find inhaling at least a couple of times on the cycle in is a good way to keep death at bay.
  • aldric
    aldric Posts: 161
    The guys that I know who do it say that they can still hear the traffic noise and it helps with the boredom of the commute.

I get where they are coming from but still have reservations.

I take it you have the mp3 player in a plastic bag in a rucksack or something to ensure its waterproof and not damaged by the rain that this country loves to serve up.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I don't wear headphones when cycling, but i'll be the first to admit that all I can hear when cycling is wind noise anyway. I usualy se cars before I hear them.

However, I would probaby get distracted and start matching my cadence to the beat or put off other road users by singing.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • WesternWay
    aldric wrote:
    The guys that I know who do it say that they can still hear the traffic noise and it helps with the boredom of the commute.

I get where they are coming from but still have reservations.

I take it you have the mp3 player in a plastic bag in a rucksack or something to ensure its waterproof and not damaged by the rain that this country loves to serve up.

I generally just keep it in a pocket, it is my mobile phone.

I have reservations about it too, it is a thing that I know I probably shouldn't do, but like doing. I don't always do it, but mostly do.

Each to their own, innit?
  • danowat
    WesternWay wrote:
    I generally just keep it in a pocket, it is my mobile phone.

Snap, my mobile comes with me, it has a radio and mp3 player, has been sopping wet in the past, and still fine.

I used to wear headphones on my motorbike too, made no difference to spatial awareness on that, because it was a big italian v-twin, and I couldn't hear much apart from the exhausts when it was running anyway!!!
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I love riding with music, but limit it to richmond park or alpine climbs.
    exercise.png
  • WesternWay
    TheStone wrote:
    I love riding with music, but limit it to richmond park or alpine climbs.

They sound nice, but I have a much wider collection, from Iron Maiden to Scooter with much inbetween
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    I'd love to listen to the radio as I ride, but I don't. My hearing is a bit impaired anyway (industrial injury), so I like ot use all I have to help me on the road.

And yes, I do use visual observation too. More than most.
    Riding on 531
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    My eyesight is not as good as some, so I rely on my hearing (which luckily seems to be very good) a lot when cycling. The downside of this is worrying about every little creak I here from the bike.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I ride long distance so have music radio on for background. I have perfect cycling headphones, left works fine, right is broke so i keep the headphones in so that when little chavs shout summin it just sounds like a mumble but I can hear any cars etc

I also think it makes you check more with your eyes which is never a bad thing
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I use a pair of Sennheiser PMX100's, they're open backed so ambient noise does come in, and I have no problem hearing cars approaching from the rear. I've ridden with in ear headphones before that eliminate most external noise, and have found them to be pretty disorienting.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    danowat wrote:

This. My son's a bit of an electronics wiz, so wired my up a single stereo earpiece (if that makes sense). TBH, I haven't used if for a while though as I find this is more of a winter thing for me.
  • I always listen to music on my ipod when riding to and from work. If I didn't I think the tedium would set in and I would just give up and drive in.

I do live in a relatively quiet area in terms of traffic, so i suppose that helps. However, I also think that there is no point in me listening to the noise of a car approaching from 1/4 mile away; by the time it's anywhere near ready to overtake me I can hear it anyway
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    One earpiece (left ear) for the radio. As its news and talk, plus the radio is in my mobile phone the volume is low.

Doesn't affect me hearing traffic passing on the right, and I do cycle and maneourve according to engine sounds around me.

I don't waterproof the phone and it seems fine.
  • danowat
    danowat wrote:

This. My son's a bit of an electronics wiz, so wired my up a single stereo earpiece (if that makes sense). TBH, I haven't used if for a while though as I find this is more of a winter thing for me.

A single stereo earpiece?, hows that work then?, single = mono, two = stereo? :?
  • magicrhodes
    magicrhodes Posts: 123
    Would never ride with earphones. On my bike is about the only time I am actually alone and I quite like that. At night you can here owls and day time is nice just to hear nature.

I wouldn't ride without a helmet or with music but if others do that is their joy/problem/idea/stupidity. I just feel it is dangerous enough out there without increasing the risks.
  • On my bike is about the only time I am actually alone and I quite like that. At night you can here owls and day time is nice just to hear nature..

I actually agree with that sentiment, which is why I no longer listen to my ipod whilst riding off road. It may seem counter-intuitive to only listen to music when riding in traffic but that's the way it works for me.

By the way, I use a sports armand for my ipod, it's seems to almost totally waterproof at allows me to easily change tracks and volume if necessary.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    danowat wrote:
    danowat wrote:

A single stereo earpiece?, hows that work then?, single = mono, two = stereo? :?

Yeah, I didn't explain it that well, basically the wires (and music) that would normally go into two headphones (stero) goes into one headphone.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I heard somewhere (may be total bo//ocks) that if a cyclist wearing headphones is involved in an accident, it idvalidates any insurance they may have and can be used in the defence of a driver that may have been involved.

Don't know if that is correct or not, but it doesen't seem fair as loud car stereos isn't ususally mentioned in car crashes.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • es330
    es330 Posts: 46
    I do and have done so for several years. Repeating what others have said, I don't beleve I have it loud enough to not hear vehicles and hazards (I hope). When I don't use my ipod and I'm flying down a hill, I cannot hear anything anyway.
    Trek 2.3 2010
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Ah, the weekly music/no music thread. Marvellous :wink:

Next up: should I wear a helmet? :twisted: :twisted:
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Personally, anything that degrades one of my main senses that keep me safer on the road isn't worth it.

Like sunglasses?
  • wizzlebanger
    wizzlebanger Posts: 177
    Yes, my sunglasses are actually TV screens so I can watch films as I cycle. 8)
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    I have tried it just once, but I didn't like it as I was less aware of the traffic around me.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I heard somewhere (may be total bo//ocks) that if a cyclist wearing headphones is involved in an accident, it idvalidates any insurance they may have and can be used in the defence of a driver that may have been involved.

Don't know if that is correct or not, but it doesen't seem fair as loud car stereos isn't ususally mentioned in car crashes.

Never heard such twaddle in all my life. It may be a factor, but will not invalidate insurance. And yes, of course it could be used in evidence, if it is relevent, just like anything a car driver was doing at the time of an accident could be used in evidence, again if it was relevent.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"