How to use Tacx Training DVD's?

DubaiNeil
DubaiNeil Posts: 246
edited September 2010 in Training, fitness and health
I purchased a Tacx Satori turbo trainer which came with the Pyrenees DVD, and I have no idea how I am supposed to train with it :?

I have also purchased the Sufferfest Downward Spiral film, which I have used & "enjoyed"

The Sufferfest has warm-up, intervals & cool down "built in" so easy to follow.

The Tacx DVD in comparison just appears to be footage of (some) of the climbs in the Pyrenees shot from a moped, with some incline/descent information. No warm up, no cool down, no intensity information (other than incline) just some nice "cycling" footage.

As Tacx sell this for 29 Euro (compared with £8 for the Sufferfest stuff) yet - while nice to watch while on the trainer - doesn't seem to add anything to the training structure?

I checked for read-me files etc and surfed the Tacx site (and here!) and can find nothing related to the use of these DVD's

Thanks

Neil

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You've basically hit the nail on the head.

The Tacx ones are just scenery with a guide as to what resistance setting to use, you have to use your imagination as to using it for intervals etc.

I often use the Marmotte one to do my 20 minutes max power test as it goes up Alpe d'Huez in about 20 mins.

TBH, the sufferfest ones are very hard to beat, especially when you factor in the price.

Another fave of mine are the Carmichael Trainright ones. Particularly the climbing one.
  • paulgw
    paulgw Posts: 135
    Not sure about the Sartori, but I have the Tacx Fortius and use the DVDs a lot in the winter.

With the Fortius, through some software magic, the DVD controls the resistance applied to the rear wheel via the motorbrake. If you have programmed your weight etc properly into the software the effect is quite realistic - the DVD runs at the speed you are turning the motorbrake and all you have to do is pedal and suffer and if you are so inclined you can look at various data (speed, power, HR, cadence, gradient, etc.) on the screen as you are going. Mates who have done say Alpe D'Huez on the Fortius and in real life find that they do it in about the same time and with the same effort in both cases.

Of course you can't reproduce the effects of altitude or heat so easily but it makes turbo training a lot more interesting.
  • Anonymous
    The satori doesn't link up at all, you have to manually adjust the resistance to match the on screen, and it is at slow motorbike pace, so you get up Alpe d'Huez in about 20 mins!!
  • chris281192
    chris281192 Posts: 189
    i use Realrides Force, i would say its very good, and structured my whole winter training.

but even hearing the word turbo reminds me of numb hands and feet, and sweating to the noise of the resistor and the coaches voice. bad times
    It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
  • paulgw
    NapoleonD wrote:
    The satori doesn't link up at all, you have to manually adjust the resistance to match the on screen, and it is at slow motorbike pace, so you get up Alpe d'Huez in about 20 mins!!

Ah - that explains it, Nap - you might be good on the hills but 20 mins up the Alpe would better Pantani's time by 16 minutes. My (Fortius) time this winter was about 1 Hr 45 but I was at my fighting weight of about 100kg at that point. Well that's my excuse anyway.
  • Anonymous
    paulgw wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Ah - that explains it, Nap - you might be good on the hills but 20 mins up the Alpe would better Pantani's time by 16 minutes. My (Fortius) time this winter was about 1 Hr 45 but I was at my fighting weight of about 100kg at that point. Well that's my excuse anyway.

I get to find out for real on Sunday! I'm hoping for under an hour and a half.

I know a few people who have commented on the Tacx stuff being scarily accurate including one guy who was within 2 mins of his Tacx time up Ventoux!

The Real life videos are pants to be honest.
  • paulgw
    NapoleonD wrote:
    paulgw wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

I get to find out for real on Sunday! I'm hoping for under an hour and a half.

I know a few people who have commented on the Tacx stuff being scarily accurate including one guy who was within 2 mins of his Tacx time up Ventoux!

The Real life videos are pants to be honest.

Yeh, I can imagine they're pants if you just watch the video and have to manually adjust the resistance. They are pretty good on the Fortius though - sadly I have found myself waving at other cyclists on the vid and leaning into the corners on the descents.
  • DubaiNeil
    DubaiNeil Posts: 246
    paulgw wrote:
    sadly I have found myself waving at other cyclists on the vid and leaning into the corners on the descents.

I was doing the same :)

I have invested in the Sufferfest Revolver as well now, as my indoor training season is just starting :(

Looking at the Carmicheal ones as well, but cost wise they are not as good value as Sufferfest.

I would have loved the VR trainer from Tacx, but as this is "just" a hobby - and indoor training being the least fun part, I couldn't justify the price increment.

Thanks for the responses

Neil
  • slunker
    slunker Posts: 346
    I use the RLV's in the winter with an Imagic and find that they are essential to stop me from going mad. If you get the hardware setup properly they are very accurate. Did a stage of the tour of Flanders and was cream crackered after it.
  • Anonymous
    slunker wrote:
    I use the RLV's in the winter with an Imagic and find that they are essential to stop me from going mad. If you get the hardware setup properly they are very accurate. Did a stage of the tour of Flanders and was cream crackered after it.

Very different with the imagic to having a video at a constant (slow motorbike) speed on the Satori. Very different indeed...
  • Hi All,

How the heck do i get my T1900 i-magic to see the dvd?

So far all I can do is play it on my pc but not get any link to the trainer itself so its pretty uselss.

I have got a version of fortius but cant export the dvd into that either.

Going out my mind and likely to thriw the thing at my tv soon!!!

Please help, im fat and desperate to loose weight had this thing for 6 yrs and never used it as her in doors wont let me..

Thankfully she is offski so out come the toys and gadgets..
  • Tacx do 2 types of training DVD. Those specifically for the IMagic, and those just to put in your DVD player and watch whilst you cycle.

If you have the I-Magic specific one, it will have some install software on it and should install as soon as you put it in your PC.

It sounds like you have the simpler DVD-watch and pedal only version.
  • thanks for that, worked it out this wekend.

Installed the i-magic software from 2001 lol pretty basic but funtionable.

Stumbled across some fortius software which you can add the RLV videos to and it makes the machine come alive. Was riding over the Ardennes at 11.30pm with Eminem blaring out my stereo brilliant!!

Was going to buy an T1940 but no need now apart from the better brake and freewheel not worth the extra money
  • thanks for that, worked it out this wekend.

Installed the i-magic software from 2001 lol pretty basic but funtionable.

Stumbled across some fortius software which you can add the RLV videos to and it makes the machine come alive. Was riding over the Ardennes at 11.30pm with Eminem blaring out my stereo brilliant!!

Was going to buy an T1940 but no need now apart from the better brake and freewheel not worth the extra money