Lance unhappy at Outside magazine

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited June 2010 in Pro race
hehe

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/1 ... 14647.html?

Bit of a cheap shot but it's quite funny.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Ironic to see him complaining about the synthetic manipulation of an image.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    I love the hash tag he gives it too, as if anyone would be trending that
  • iainf72
    Kléber wrote:
    Ironic to see him complaining about the synthetic manipulation of an image.

I saw the advert for channel 4's Tiger Woods documentary this evening and I did nod when the voice over said "he controlled what the media said"

It can eventually go all wrong.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    edited June 2010
    As far as "LAME" goes I think Outside magazine has that title wrapped up. What a bunch of phony cr*p. If I wasn't getting it for free(not sure why - no one will claim giving it to me as a gift) it wouldn't get a second glance. As it is it doesn't really get a second glance except as it heads for the bottom of the trash can. One of these days maybe I'll do the right "green" thing and tell them to stop sending it.

p.s. I like his T-shirt. Maybe Ill get one. 62 - B.F.D.
  • Kléber
    Dennis, maybe you need to sit down and have a beer with the editor before judging the magazine so harshly?
  • dennisn
    Kléber wrote:
    Dennis, maybe you need to sit down and have a beer with the editor before judging the magazine so harshly?

Trust me, it's bogus. I actually like reading Vanity Fair. No kidding. Much more interesting
    than reading articles about the environment over and over and over and over.........
  • iainf72
    dennisn wrote:

Trust me, it's bogus. I actually like reading Vanity Fair. No kidding. Much more interesting
    than reading articles about the environment over and over and over and over.........

Interesting

One wrote a fawning Lance article.

The other didn't.

Articles about the environment in magazine called "Outside". I must confess, I'm shocked.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    I thought BFD stood for Bring Floyd Down :D
  • dennisn
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Interesting

One wrote a fawning Lance article.

The other didn't.

Articles about the environment in magazine called "Outside". I must confess, I'm shocked.

Actually I've decided that I'm just not COOL or TRENDY or HANDSOME or RUGGED enough to read Outside. Therefore the Vanity Fair comment. :wink::wink:
  • dennisn
    Percy Vera wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Ya never know.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    his ego needs hit and very hard...
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    I'd be more worried about who photoshopped my hair...
  • dennisn
    micron wrote:

I thought his hair looked very "with it" and "today". If you get my meaning.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    He needs to lighten up, but it's the pic of his face I'd be peeved at. He looks old and haggered. He'll be channeling his inner Michael Douglas soon if he's not careful.

Also, his face is too big for the neck and tiny arms - gawd make it stop, its staring at me!
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Whether or not you like Lance, that sets a bad precedent. It's NOT clear to most people that the picture is a fake. 99% of people would never notice the tiny print in the lower left. This feels a little like a Glenn Beck "question" where he covers his a-- by saying something completely false but with a qualifier at the end.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    donrhummy wrote:
    Whether or not you like Lance, that sets a bad precedent. It's NOT clear to most people that the picture is a fake. 99% of people would never notice the tiny print in the lower left. This feels a little like a Glenn Beck "question" where he covers his a-- by saying something completely false but with a qualifier at the end.

Is it THAT bad a precedent? I mean, It's not even insulting....it's faking that Lance doesn't worry about his age.

now, if it said 51 MHL (my haemocrit levels) it would be different.....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Didn't Procycling mock up a picture of Contador in yellow after the '08 Tour?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Percy Vera wrote:

Or Big Friendly Doper.....
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Kléber
    donrhummy wrote:
    Whether or not you like Lance, that sets a bad precedent. It's NOT clear to most people that the picture is a fake.
    Almost every magazine cover is a fake. Fashion models are airbrushed, background is put in place and generally things are tweaked for the "perfect" cover.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    The Man who swam Everest, does anyone know how that went?
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    he looks like Lyle Lovett...
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    the media are going to tear him a new one.... once the volume gets to a certain point
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Homer J wrote:
    The Man who swam Everest, does anyone know how that went?

Fairly well it seems

http://outside-blog.away.com/blog/2010/05/pugh-completes-swim-at-base-of-everest.html

What a nutter.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • seemunkee
    seemunkee Posts: 206
    I guess I must be much more cool and trendy than dennism since I actually buy it. It seems like Lance has been on the cover every year at Outside and generally gives him the fawning praise he desires. But I guess one slight and it's all over.
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416

... and tiny arms - gawd make it stop, its staring at me!

err - all road bikers have tiny chicken wing arms.
  • dennisn
    seemunkee wrote:
    I guess I must be much more cool and trendy than dennism since I actually buy it. It seems like Lance has been on the cover every month at Outside and generally gives him the fawning praise he desires. But I guess one slight and it's all over.

Fixed that for you.
  • seemunkee
    seemunkee Posts: 206
    dennisn wrote:
    seemunkee wrote:
    I guess I must be much more cool and trendy than dennism since I actually buy it. It seems like Lance has been on the cover every month at Outside and generally gives him the fawning praise he desires. But I guess one slight and it's all over.

Fixed that for you.
    Thanks but not true, he alternates every other month with Anderson Cooper
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    seemunkee wrote:
    I guess I must be much more cool and trendy than dennism since I actually buy it. It seems like Lance has been on the cover every year at Outside and generally gives him the fawning praise he desires. But I guess one slight and it's all over.
    I understand something about the magazine now. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • dennisn
    seemunkee wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    seemunkee wrote:

Fixed that for you.
    Thanks but not true, he alternates every other month with Anderson Cooper

I stand corrected.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    micron wrote:
    His hair isn't photoshopped, he frequently grows it longer off-season (when there's less chance he'll be asked to give a hair sample for analysis).

Hair analysis in cycling is rare but it has been used in other sports to detect steroids and cocaine, and supposedly is better than urine testing to detect Epo (i.e. it detects Epo use farther back in time). It's only done by national authorities or certain sport organisations, as not yet recognised by WADA or UCI.

The hair sample needs to be at least 2-3 inches long for proper testing. There are a number of riders who keep their hair very short, maybe for other reasons. But there are probably some who keep it short only during the season, just in case.