Smithfield Nocturne

2»

Comments

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    So, how'd Rich get on?
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Hmm. Well let's just say he didn't come first. Very good effort as I understand the course is a tad 'difficult'.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Always a pleasure to meet with my fellow SCRers although Rich didn't win, he did look at part :wink:

Ya bleeding freezing which was a shame.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    had a good evening, cold as ice though. will probably go back next year
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Yep, Rich didn't win, the pace was frantic! A club mate whose cat2 and knocking on the door of cat1 struggled to hold on, I could see the lead group but just couldn't bridge the gap, and then didn't bother to contest the sprint for a mid order place.

Caught up with ITB, JG, & Cafewanda later in the evening. Sorry I had to shoot guys, I needed to get my bike from the pits and then got caught up with some club mates.

The main race was amazing, so fast! Feeling the draft as those guys went past was awesome
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • dubnut71
    dubnut71 Posts: 123
    I ambled along, dismally failed to qualify from my heat in the first folding bike race, in fact I was pipped on the post by a bloke in a dress!!!!

4718211475_3f61390f39_o.jpg

Retired quietly to the pub and consumed Guinness before cycling back across London to get my train, a true folding bike adventure really!!!!
    Planet X Superlight with Fulcrum 3's
    Merlin Malt 1
    Specialied Langster Flat Bar Fixed/Fixed
    Giant Seek 3 (full XT group)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    dubnut71 wrote:
    I ambled along, dismally failed to qualify from my heat in the first folding bike race, in fact I was pipped on the post by a bloke in a dress!!!!

4718211475_3f61390f39_o.jpg

Retired quietly to the pub and consumed Guinness before cycling back across London to get my train, a true folding bike adventure really!!!!

Forget the dress did you clock those heels :shock: erm they actually fitted him :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Those were some nice shoes he was wearing :lol:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    Spotted him later wheeling his bike. He'd obviously spent a fair amount of time modifying the dress to make it easier to ride in.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    I've just looked up the results of the Architects and Developers Race (is that you at no. 17 Rich158?) and was struck by the fact that Sarah Wigglesworth Architects, a firm with only nine people (including the boss) listed on their website, managed to get four finishers, with two quite reasonably placed. That's a pretty good hit rate for such a small company - half the office!

EDIT: Sorry, the above won't mean that much to those outside the construction industry. Still interesting to have nearly half the employees of a small business into competitive cycling.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Rich158
    Yep that's me at 17th, very disapointed with a very low average speed for a race.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Rich158 wrote:
    Yep that's me at 17th, very disapointed with a very low average speed for a race.
    Shorter, tighter course than Crystal palace, though...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Rich158
    certainly tighter with a terrible road surface in places. I never felt like I got to grips with the course tbh, but then I'm just making excuses for a poor showing :oops:

Revised FCN - 2
  • rjsterry
    I ride over a large part of the course on my commute, and I would agree that the surface is pretty terrible, particularly eastbound stretch up the rise, left under the market, then right along the back of the market.
    Pinnacle Monzonite