Smithfield Nocturne

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone going this year?

im thinking of getting the tube down so i can have a few cheeky beers and not have to worry about my bike

Comments

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Oh yes indeed. If you get down there by 5:30 you'll see your's truly tearing round in the Architects/Developers support race :lol::lol::lol: My one chance to feel what it's like to be a pro in front of a big crowd. I'll be hanging around after to watch the rest of the action
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    Rich158 wrote:
    Oh yes indeed. If you get down there by 5:30 you'll see your's truly tearing round in the Architects/Developers support race :lol::lol::lol: My one chance to feel what it's like to be a pro in front of a big crowd. I'll be hanging around after to watch the rest of the action

Damn missed the invitations for that one. Never pass an opportunity to embarrass myself.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • spasypaddy
    i will attempt to be down there in time.

what do you ride?
  • rjsterry
    Out of interest Rich158 was the Architects/Developers race an invitation only thing or was it publicised. I'm assuming its a bit of fun/deadly serious rivalry between firms + a chance for some blatant networking/new golf.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    If I wasn't going to be in Yorkshire, I'd have done the folding bike race for the third time. Or, in my case, 'having a real laugh dismally failing to qualify from his heat'! :D
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Rich158
    rjsterry wrote:
    Out of interest Rich158 was the Architects/Developers race an invitation only thing or was it publicised. I'm assuming its a bit of fun/deadly serious rivalry between firms + a chance for some blatant networking/new golf.

It was publicised, there's a few architects in my club and someone gave me the heads up. Watch out fot the London Phoenix train, I'll be the one at the back trying desperately to stay on the wheel of out Cat 2's :oops: It could get messy, a 6 lap sprint with people who've never raced before should be entertaining :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • rjsterry
    Hmmm, Although we do have one reasonably regular triathlete in the office, I'm not sure anyone here is of an ability to do anything other than make a fool of themselves if there are club cyclists and upwards racing - just a couple of regular decent distance commuters, one part time commuter and a tourer (tourist?). Might try and drag a few people down to watch though.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    I'll be heading down to check it out.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Sadly I'll miss it - I'll be homeless in the West Country.
  • rjsterry
    @Rich158: Doh! You were quite right, just spotted it in an LFA e-newsletter from a couple of weeks ago. Didn't realise it was so closely tied in with the LFA this year.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    mmmm change of plans looks like i'll be there :D

Should be fun :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I might actually recognise faces this year :)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Any in particular or just in general?

Should be about on saturday.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    Cafewanda wrote:

Can someone do me some sort of spotter's guide or something. Don't want to be anti-social.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Cafewanda
    JonGinge wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Any in particular or just in general?

Should be about on saturday.

ITB and Rich. Having said that, my eyesight isn't what it was last summer and if those guys are on bikes I won't even bother as they'll be more of a blur :)

Hoping to get there for about 4pm.

rjsterry: I'll be the (very) short, black shaven-headed female. Of course you'll have to keep your eyes close to the ground to see me :) ITB will be on the side fixing the first of many punctures, beer balanced carefully on the saddle :wink:
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2010
    Righto, will keep an eye out. I'll be the skinny guy with the old white steel Giant (see Bike Pics thread for pictures, page 30 about halfway down). BTW, I assume ITB has told his friend to stay away. It would rather spoil the evening if all the pros deflated.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• spasypaddy
    i'll be the david baddiel/louis theroux love child wearing a pair of the most amazing trainers known to man as i dont plan on riding down
  • Cafewanda
    Guys, just get a t-shirt with your forum name on it I'm not going round accosting males and getting it wrong :oops: :lol: Alternatively, look out for me. I'm pretty certain I'm unique :)
  • rjsterry
    Will also be keeping an eye out for that tasty new steel Condor they are talking about on the BR homepage.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Guys, just get a t-shirt with your forum name on it I'm not going round accosting males and getting it wrong :oops: :lol: Alternatively, look out for me. I'm pretty certain I'm unique :)

I actually have one (old football shirt) but you know me anyway.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Rich158
    Ok, look out for London Phoenix kit in the Architects/Developers race, there'll be three of us, I'l be on the pink Condor. I'll leave the top on so long as it's not too sweaty but will prob be in 3/4 length camo shorts afterwards.

I'll be about all evening slowly slipping into a very inebriated state if everything goes to plan, so say hi whilst I can still focus on you :wink:

Revised FCN - 2
  • rjsterry
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

I actually have one (old football shirt) but you know me anyway.

SUrely the bowler hat is a dead giveaway. :wink:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Cafewanda
    You lot are funny. Going to print this off as a reminder :lol:
  • a7081543
    a7081543 Posts: 2
    Looking forward to it big tine tomorrow, my mate is interning for the company that organises it and he said Cav was pitching up to the event but not to race and alex Dowsett is going to be riding as well.

Its going to be sick
  • rjsterry
    It's going to be what?

You'll be mistaking this for the skating section.

Or is that an attempt at this new guerilla marketing lark.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Sorry, managed to miss everyone last night. Walked round a fair bit, but didn't spot anyone matching the descriptions. I'm afraid I also missed your race Rich158. Enjoyed the other racing very much though.

Anyone else try the cider with ginger from the stall next to the pizza stall? Quite a strange flavour, but refreshing all the same. The commentary was predictably clumsy; my favourite comment being when they announced that Dulwich Paragon could often be seen training in Richmond Park - err, think about that for a moment. Basic London geography chaps. Also thought the 'longest skid' competition hadn't really been thought through - err, was that it?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    a7081543 wrote:
    he said Cav was pitching up to the event but not to race

nocturne.jpg
  • Cafewanda
    I saw Rich, ITB, Jonginge and Coriander.

I had my afternoon/evening set to watch all the races, mooch around the stalls etc instead ITB and Jon forced me to spend a few hours in the pub drinking Guinness :shock: :P

I did manage to see the first folding bike race, and Rich's race and most of the Elite Men's race at the end but that was it. Never mind, next year I'll do better.

A tad chilly wasn't it? :(
  • rjsterry
    Certainly was. Glad I took a jacket. Was wheeling my bike round, so I didn't venture into the pubs much.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Cafewanda wrote:
    A tad chilly wasn't it? :(
    Yup, but not too bad out of the breeze - like the corner by Charterhouse where we moved later. Think I got a couple of pics of Rich entering the finishing straight, but they are a bit small and the camera battery died after 10 mins or so :(

I was surprised how less busy than last year it seemed. You could hardly move around the start/finishing straight or round by Charterhouse last year. I agree the commentary was a bit corny (they did correct the park info at least), but that seems par for the course at this kind of event. The background music at least was good. But why did they put the big screen at the start/finish instead of somewhere near the back straight?

A few nice Italian restaurants around there. Ended up going to one after the Women's Criterium.