Just Bought An HTC Desire - Any Good Cycling Apps?

13»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thanks Base Junk I gues
    the stats it produces list average speed and moving average separately
    is better than autopause anyway!
  • I've got about 9 hours out of my tracks with the phone in airplane mode when hiking.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks Mr S that is acceptable for most uses and at least you can have a spare batt at the ready if you want more unlike the iphone!
  • Could also get a Veho Pebble for longer journeys.

http://www.veho-uk.com/main/shop_detail.aspx?article=124&mode=overview
  • Just checked on my mytracks and whilst it doesn't appear to have autopause the stats it produces list average speed and moving average separately.

I haven't tried a maximum length test as I've only used mine for tracking commutes. Wifi is usually turned off when away from the house (thanks Tasker!) and IIRC I usually eat about 10-15% battery for an hour or so commuting to London.

I do like mytracks as it integrates well with Google Maps and can export ride stats directly to a nicely formatted table in Google Docs :-)

Took the advice on here and got a Desire, which I am pleased with so far, although I am hardly the most demanding user. Used mytracks at the weekend for the first time and it pretty much mirrored the data on my Polar S720i, (which refuses to download since I changed my laptop) apart from the ascents, which I was 'expecting anyway.

As someone who should not be allowed out on a bike without a map , all the google stuff - maps, streetview, etc - you get is a godsend, but what's really cool is the little windscreen wiper and falling raindrops you see after you switch the phone on, whenever its raining. Little things... :)
  • Anonymous
    Could someone post a ride from mytrack so I can view the data and what you can save?

Cheers
    Simon
  • Here's one I made on a commute to Euston station :-)

Just found if you click on the "End" point it gives you the ride stats and elevation graph :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • After having a quick look on amazon, i came across this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ULTIMATEADDONS- ... 909&sr=1-2

Might be of interest to some.
  • After having a quick look on amazon, i came across this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ULTIMATEADDONS- ... 909&sr=1-2

Might be of interest to some.

I'm to nervous of crashing to put my phone in one of those! At least if I stack with a Garmin attached I can still ring for help as the phone is usually stowed in my backpack (commuting) or saddle bag (non-commuting).
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Fair point, ideally i'd do the same but there's no way i can afford a Garmin :(
  • There's no way I'm getting a Garmin either but the phone does a nice job atm. I tend to try and follow easy(ish) routes on the rare occasions I get out for a solo ride so if I get lost it's not a problem to stop and pull phone out to get my location.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • The essential App has now been released for the Android phones....

It is, of course, CAMRA's Good Beer Guide! :wink:

It'll cost you a fiver per year.

(also it links into Google Navigation so your phone will direct you to the nearest pub on your ride...)
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    The essential App has now been released for the Android phones....

It is, of course, CAMRA's Good Beer Guide! :wink:

It'll cost you a fiver per year.

(also it links into Google Navigation so your phone will direct you to the nearest pub on your ride...)

You could try 'caskfinder'. It's free.

-Spider-
  • 'Caskfinder' doesn't appear on the Android market place... :?
  • -spider-
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    'Caskfinder' doesn't appear on the Android market place... :?

That's strange 'cos I've got it. Current beer of the week Harvest Pale from Castlerock

-Spider-
  • -spider- wrote:
    Mr Sworld wrote:

That's strange 'cos I've got it. Current beer of the week Harvest Pale from Castlerock

It's an Apple i*** app by the looks of things:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/caskfind ... 23416?mt=8
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Mr Sworld wrote:

Yes it does - I downloaded it last night after seeing the recommendation here.

Try searching for "cask finder" with a space in between the words.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Ah... Found it, had to use the QR code to track it down.

Cheers.
  • Mr Sworld wrote:

+1 Just tried via the Market as opposed to AppBrain on the web and found it :-) Apparently it's an early release so doesn't have all the features yet.....

http://appaware.org/dq0
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • -spider-
    Mr Sworld wrote:

+1 Just tried via the Market as opposed to AppBrain on the web and found it :-) Apparently it's an early release so doesn't have all the features yet.....

http://appaware.org/dq0

It can point you in the direction of a good beer. What else is needed?

-Spider-