Just Bought An HTC Desire - Any Good Cycling Apps?

Mark Elvin
Mark Elvin Posts: 997
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
OK, decided not to be an Apple slave & bought an HTC Desire.

Are there any good cycling apps available?
2012 Cannondale Synapse

Comments

• mickbrown
    mickbrown Posts: 100
    I've just gone the other way from HTC to Apple.

And in answer to your original question - dunno, sorry
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Oooooh good point! I've just gone onto market and searched cycling and there's oodles.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Cardiotrainer
    Endomondo

:)
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    i'm using endomondo on my omnia (also do android/iphone versions), so far quite pleased with it, have used for walking/running as no bike yet. Nice auto updates to facebook/twitter too.
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    MyTracks (made by Google I think)
  • Porta105
    Porta105 Posts: 57
    Endomondo or MyTracks
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    I use CardioTrainer. You can upload your routes to a server so others can view them and it updates your FaceBook page with the info too! :lol:
  • milan_ns
    milan_ns Posts: 49
    SportyPal is good
  • w86h2000
    w86h2000 Posts: 18
    Alpine Sport isn't bad either. Gives more info that cardiotrainer which I've also used.
    Edit to add, it uploads to google maps so you can store them in your google account as well. nice!
    Orange G3 2011
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2009
  • luther
    luther Posts: 28
    Mytracks gets my vote :D
    Car? Scooby....
    Motorbike? Ninja....
    Bike? Sirrus or the XTC
  • Mark Elvin
    dcurzon wrote:
    i'm using endomondo on my omnia (also do android/iphone versions), so far quite pleased with it, have used for walking/running as no bike yet. Nice auto updates to facebook/twitter too.

How does it link to FB then?
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    dcurzon wrote:

How does it link to FB then?

It automatically posts your ride on your wall,

Cardiotrainer does it like this:
    Jason biked 24.19 mi on Jun. 15, 06:02 pm (Time: 01:19:07)

Endomondo like this:
    Jason Was out cycling 11.44 miles with Endomondo. You can see it here: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts?w=ie9t_ripuTQ
  • Mark Elvin
    Mine doesn't seam to post to my wall.

I have enabled auto-post on the Endomondo website
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • gordon861
    gordon861 Posts: 77
    Be careful with the progs that post your routes, there have recently been some privacy issues as they also give out your home address.
  • Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    well I tired out one of the apps, it works using the GPS....

well it worked for 1.6miles of a 28mile ride, and in that 1.6miles I apparently hit 38.9mph :? cycle computer says 32mph.... wasnt exactly gunning it today :P
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • johnyrider
    johnyrider Posts: 24
    I have been using www.sportypal.com for more than a year, first on wm phone now on android pulse , it is excellent and by far my most used app on my telephone. It also have some nice online features like challenges.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I like RunKeeper on the iPhone, it's available on Android too.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I've tried Sportypal but will give My Tracks a go, only problem is that using GPS the battery doesn't last long.
  • johnyrider
    johnyrider Posts: 24
    Of course with the GPS turned on the phone, the battery won't less much, maximum 6-7 hours
  • Mark Elvin
    Thought I'd give Everytail a go yesterday - http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=671734
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Willow 15
    Willow 15 Posts: 19
    http://www.sportstracklive.com/ is a good app for all sports including biking. You can also use a zephyr hxm heart rate monitor via bluetooth. It is expensive though, $99 plus shipping tax. The App is great though, did 40 miles on my road bike today and it tracked great.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I use My Tracks on my HTC hero, seems to track 100% but does run down quite quickly. I would reccomend putting a custom rom on as my new one has doubled my battery life. You can also try an app called juice defender to make it last longer.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Are any Cardiotrainer users finding the GPS auto-stop feature a bit flaky? Only asking as on mine I seem to miss a small section of my ride as the distance CT records doesn't tally with my cycle comp. This morning my commute in was recorded as 11.15 miles on bike comp and 10.17 on CT - missing about a mile!!

Looking at the detailed map on the CT website I can see dots where each set of traffic lights was or where I'd hit traffic but it doesn't seem to restart until a small distance down the road.......

I have the GPS resolution set to 1 second (the smallest and supposedly most accurate) and the auto-pause feature set to 5 seconds (again the smallest allowable value) This would probably be my only gripe with CT but as I used to use Sportstracker on my Nokia 6220 Classic which pretty much always tallied with all the stats on my comp (distance and speeds) I'm rather miffed as to why the seemigly more advanced CT gets it wrong.

I've also tried Endomondo but that completely lacked the auto-pause feature. IIRC it tracked my route a bit more accurately but gave the average as one for the whole journey rather then the "moving" average that my cycle comp gives me (not a bad thing I guess - could be interesting to compare the 2 in London!)

I'll give the 2 a head-to-head comparision over the rest of the week as I have 4 days working at the same office so have a nice "control" commute to use :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Just got a Desire too.

Great phone. I'm off to the marketplace.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Gave My Tracks a spin the other day, first in the car as I was purely testing it and then on the bike for the commute in this morning. The main reason for trying it on the bike was the few extra stats it offered over Endomondo - those mainly being the min/max gradient, climb and both the total and moving times along with their respective averages :-)

It also matched pretty accurately with the Cateye cycle computer for all the major stats and dare I say it was the most accurate of the 3 I've tried so far with no anomalous readings for my max speed which I'd had with EM. I've even gone as far as removing Cardiotrainer now as it was just far to flaky tracking routes.

EDIT: Have found a killer (in a geeky, OCD stats way) is My Tracks can upload to Google Docs and creates a nicely formatted spreadsheet with the journeys on and appends extra journeys to the bottom :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Been using mytracks too. Max gradient is 14% on my commute. Is that a lot?
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Been using mytracks too. Max gradient is 14% on my commute. Is that a lot?

I don't think it's silly steep but enough of a grade for you to realize your climbing if it's of any length :-) I registered a 16% on my ride out of town last Friday and I'm fairly sure I know exactly where it was! Having said that I have ridden up a road that was marked with a 16% gradient sign (which is normally taken with a pinch of salt......) but at sections I'd say the 2 bits of road where of comparable steepness, albeit the road marked as 16% went on a damn sight longer!! One day I'll head back out and give it a go with My Tracks on and see what that reckons.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    edited July 2010
    I use sportracklive and have been pleased with it on my HTC Desire. One feature I like is the way it emails you if you have broken a personal best and the way it records a number of different personal bests such as fastest 10 mins, 5mins etc..

Anyone tried it with the zephyr HRM? Willow 15 did you buy it?
    well I tired out one of the apps, it works using the GPS....

well it worked for 1.6miles of a 28mile ride, and in that 1.6miles I apparently hit 38.9mph cycle computer says 32mph.... wasnt exactly gunning it today

Skippy you will get spikes in the data - you can press a button on sportrackerlive and it will 'clean' this.

I haven't yet bought an arm band holder for the phone and I may not yet because it seems to track ok with the phone in my saddle bag. Morpeth mobiles sells the the arm band holders for about £15.
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Just ordered a Desire as well :-)
    Anyone found a good, secure bike mount ? After last night's crashing antics I'd be reluctant to just keep it in my jersey pocket...maybe I need an armoured case !
    Misguided Idealist
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    I write down my mileage with a pencil in a small notebook
    <a>road</a>