Front brake not working with new fork

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Concave washer? I think I see why he said that, but it shows a fundamental misunderstanding.
    See, Avid brakes use those two silly concave and convex washers to align the calliper.

However, that does not affect their dimensions in any way. When using those washers, a 180mm adapter, will fit an avid calliper (oddly enough) to a 180mm disc.
    Who'd have thunk it eh?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    he says its because they use a concave washer? whatever the hell that means. good thing i dont have to go with a g2 again because i would rather not spend $50 on a single rotor

Avid use the ACS washers to align them to the rotor. thses are to be counted as part of the caliper as they are needed.

eg: without then a 160 rotor is to big. and a 203 is too big. Avid chose 185mm for their mid size as did Hope in the day.

like i said 180 adaptor and washers/spacers or a 180 disc.

simples.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ohhhh i get it now. so in your opinions, is it worth paying the extra $20 for the g2 or just buy the shimano they had there? id like my rotors to match but im not going to pay $20 extra if thats the only difference between the avid and shimano
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Let's put it this way - Avid rotors are a bloody rip off.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well i would not get the Avids or the shimanos.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hmmm well they also had a rotor made by a company called radius, its probably some cheapo company you've never heard of. whats wrong with shimano? i would like to buy something from CRC but shipping to canada is $15 plus I'll probably be hit with a bunch of duties
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't know if all shimano rotors are the same, but my saint one has a very narrow braking surface. Probably to narrow for most brakes.
    They're also pretty expensive.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Try a rotor from companies such as A2Z, Alligator, or Ashima. They all make after market brake rotors at reasonable prices and should work with most brakes.

Im sure you can find a Canadian dealer to buy them from.
  • your right, i found a store in my city that carries a2z parts. they look to be pretty good quality parts at a good price. im gonna check em out tomorrow
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    your right, i found a store in my city that carries a2z parts. they look to be pretty good quality parts at a good price. im gonna check em out tomorrow

http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Rotors.html

just out of interest where abouts in Ontario are you?
  • southern ontario, about 35 min west of toronto
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    southern ontario, about 35 min west of toronto

Kitchener?

My Dad probably doesn't live too far from you he lives in Cambridge and my sister lives in Paris.

You haven't got much in the way of mountains around there.
  • no not kitchener, but close to it. im in the burlington/oakville area. cambridge is around 20 minutes from me. and your right, there really isnt much mountains around here. i like to think of them as "hills"