Front brake not working with new fork

ExTrEmE BiKeR
ExTrEmE BiKeR Posts: 149
edited June 2010 in MTB general
I just switched to a marzocchi fork from a rockshox fork and now the front brake does not work as well. marzocchi uses a different mounting system for the front caliper and so now the rotor does not fit all the way into the back of the caliper and the caliper has less to squeeze on. i have 6'' rotors and the fork is unable to fit an 8'' rotor. is there a way to get a rotor that is maybe 6.5'' to 7'' in diameter or possible another way of installing the caliper to the fork? oh and the brakes are avid juicy 3

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What forks and brakes?
  • I'm fairly sure there are adaptors to enable you to fit the caliper onto fork so it contacts the disk properly...
  • marzocchi am2 fork and juicy 3 brakes
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    WHat is the RS fork? WHat size rotor exactly in mm?
  • ExTrEmE BiKeR
    ExTrEmE BiKeR Posts: 149
    edited June 2010
    the rs fork was an 08 dart 3 and 6'' equals approximately 152mm although avids website says there 160mm.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • so it seems i need an adapter. my owners manual says the max disc dimension is "xc international standard (IS) 6''. what is the adapter i need?
  • upon looking closely at the front brake it turns out i already have an adpater! it says F-180 R-160 on it so im assuming i just need to put a 180mm rotor up front?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    yes.
  • while im at it, should i upgrade to a 180mm rotor in the back as well? or is the front brake all that needs to be upgraded and the back is fine at 160mm?
  • Anonymous
    Back is fine at 160. It's pretty useless anyway, so it doesn;t need to be anywhere near as powerful as the front.
    This is why motorcycles have a signle, smaller disc at the back, and why cars have smaller brakes at the back (even drum brakes, in some cases)
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    And what can the frame take.

A lot of frames can't take a bigger disk than 160mm anyway
  • the frame looks as though it can take a larger rotor but i guess its unnecessary to put somehting bigger at the back. since im already changing the front rotor, would it be worth it to just go big and get another adaptor that fits a 203mm rotor and put a 203mm rotor on? im only around 135lbs so i think that might be overkill? as for rotors, will a cheap one perform as well as a pricier one? i have clean sweep G2s right now and want them to match but would rather save money if i can as there are alot of cheaper options.
  • Anonymous
    why do you want a 203mm at the back? Are you lacking power there now?
    I'm guessing you're not.
  • peter413
    I'm guessing you're not.

I think he means at the front :wink:
  • no i mean changing the front rotor to 203mm. im already changing from 6-7'' so why not just go all the way to 8'' is what i meant

edit: @cowboy :P
  • Anonymous
    I might be wrong about this, but I don't think the Marzocchi AM2 is warranteed for 203mm discs. Last time I checked, I think the only Marz forks that were, were the 20mm thru-axle designs.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I'm guessing you're not.

Most of the braking is performed with the front brake anyway, so a 185mm rotor up front and 160mm on the rear should be more than adequate for an average sized rider.

+1. As a 98Kg (216LBS) rider who rides an AM bike, I have a 203mm up front and a 185mm rear rotor which provide me more than enough braking power, but I am no lightweight..
  • I might be wrong about this, but I don't think the Marzocchi AM2 is warranteed for 203mm discs. Last time I checked, I think the only Marz forks that were, were the 20mm thru-axle designs.
    its an 06 oem model that didnt come with a warranty as far as i know. just a plain box and an owners manual. plus the owners manual says, "Max disk dimension and fastening system: XC INTL STD 6" (installation of 8'' disk is only possible when the specific adapter is supplied by the brake system manufacturer)". so i think it should work
  • Anonymous
    Oh, cool.
    Well, only you can tell if you need a 203mm rotor. They generate substantially more braking power, which can be too much for some people's tastes, and can also make it harder to "feather" the front brakes down loose trails.
  • so do you think 203mm seems a bit excessive, especially at my weight (60kg)? and how does a cheap rotor compare to the G2 clean sweeps i have now?
  • peter413
    Probably unless you are doing proper DH.

And it depends on the rotor. Superstar rotors are very good I believe
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    so do you think 203mm seems a bit excessive, especially at my weight (60kg)? and how does a cheap rotor compare to the G2 clean sweeps i have now?

60Kgs and a 203mm rotor is overkill. It's not just about the rotors, the Juicy 3's that you have are great brakes, my All Mountain bike came with them as standard, sadly I was a little too heavy for them at that time (108Kgs/238LBS) so I upgraded to Avid Code and 203/185. That was almost a £500 upgrade alone..

Back to your requirement, brakes are not just about stopping power, it's also about "feel", a rider should be able to have absolute confidence in the brakes, you should squeeze the lever and the caliper/disc should respond accordingly.

Being a lightweight that you are at 60Kgs (132LBS) you don't want a bike that's horribly over braked and has you worried every time you reach for the levers.
  • do you think that even a 180mm rotor is too much brake for me? i do mostly some AM type stuff but would like to try a bit of downhill this summer
  • so ive been looking at the 180mm rotors at CRC. i wanted some g2 clean sweeps but those are 185mm and i have a 180mm adaptor. i want something that looks like the g2 but is cheaper so i was looking at the alligator pizza rotor. anybody had any experience with those or have any recommendations for a cheap rotor?
  • so i went to my LBS to check out some rotors today. the guy there told me to stick with rotors made by avid because i have avid brakes and using a generic rotor will give me uneven pad wear. i told him i only have a 180mm adaptor and that avids rotors only come in 185 but he said avids idea of a 185 is more like everybody elses 180mm so it should fit? is there any truth to this?
  • peter413
    Not sure how they can think 185mm means 180mm :?

Maybe with tyres but not with rotors so I would say ignore him TBH. I use rotors from loads of different manufactureres with different brakes with no ill effects, infact sometimes it can make them better like when I ran a hayes rotor with a Shimano 575, made it slightly better IMO
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bullshit and bollocks.

just get some rotors to suit the size of the adaptor.

or get an avid 185 disc and space out the caliper to clear the rotor if using the 180 adaptor.

(yes some wavy 180mm rotors are more like 182mm).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • he says its because they use a concave washer? whatever the hell that means. good thing i dont have to go with a g2 again because i would rather not spend $50 on a single rotor