Manchester To Blackpool Experience

2»

Comments

• gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Well I rode it today, after my Injury in Janury I really wasnt sure if I would make it.

Not only did I make it but I smashed last years time by 90 mins and finished in under 4 hours

Thanks everyone for all your support..my report can be found here for those interested

http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpre ... 10-report/
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • timgbury
    timgbury Posts: 40
    saw the pink tutu when i went past you somewhere on the lanes past kirkham but hadnt read this thread first so just thought 'interesting!'

how far did people's computers say? mine was playing up stopping and starting randomly so only said 56 miles, but the piece of paper i was given at the start said 60. Last year it was 64.

Very glad not to have to go through Haigh Hall this year!
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    timgbury wrote:
    saw the pink tutu when i went past you somewhere on the lanes past kirkham but hadnt read this thread first so just thought 'interesting!'

how far did people's computers say? mine was playing up stopping and starting randomly so only said 56 miles, but the piece of paper i was given at the start said 60. Last year it was 64.

Very glad not to have to go through Haigh Hall this year!

A shade under 62 Miles according to my Garmin
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Glad I left at 7:30 this year, much quieter and avoided the rain, although the wind in Lytham temporarily reduced me to a crawl. Did it last year on a big heavy Ridgeback hybrid with panniers, this year I was on a road bike and it made a massive difference. Great day.

Thinking of doing Manc - Chester next week. Anyone familiar with this route? It says on the bike events website that the last 2 miles might not be suitable for road bikes, is that true?
  • Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    Well done guys and well done Gaz.

Was trying to find your blog from last year for inspiration a few weeks ago, but couldn't find it.

Would have kept an eye for you and said hello.

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • Avoneer
    P.S. There was another guy wearing a pink tutu.

Saw him as we arrived in the car.

He was the old guy and I overtook him 2 hour in.

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • timgbury
    timgbury Posts: 40
    A shade under 62 Miles according to my Garmin[/quote]

ah, ok thanks. looks like i'll have to check the wheel circumference setting as well then
  • kinesin
    kinesin Posts: 100
    El Diego wrote:
    Glad I left at 7:30 this year, much quieter and avoided the rain, although the wind in Lytham temporarily reduced me to a crawl. Did it last year on a big heavy Ridgeback hybrid with panniers, this year I was on a road bike and it made a massive difference. Great day.

Thinking of doing Manc - Chester next week. Anyone familiar with this route? It says on the bike events website that the last 2 miles might not be suitable for road bikes, is that true?

The bike events website only mentions a 50mile ride, not the sportive which I can't imagine would be unsuitable for road bike.
    There is a google maps KML file available on this page
    http://www.pennineevents.co.uk/EntryPages/LCL2010.aspx
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Did the Manch-Blackpool yesterday as well. 62 miles there wasn't the real challenge for us. It was the 60 mile ride home that really stung the legs. 121 miles in 7hrs 31mins. Not electric by any stretch of the imagination, but all that rode yesterday will vouch that the conditions became quite harsh. See you all in Sept for the Manch 100.
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    Graham K wrote:
    I should be there somewhere tomorrow, depends how I feel as I am knackered now after doing a 25 miler today up the Peak district on the Evans Ride it MTB.

Have a good day safe everyone.

Get more ass and body out of bed after tumbling up and down Jacobs Ladder the previous day, and clocked a 3hr 20.
    Got a draft from Wigan'ish by 4 guys with good pace to the other side of Preston, rain just started as we were turning the last 2 corners to get back on the Prom.
  • zoglug
    zoglug Posts: 212
    I enjoyed the ride much more this year! Felt a lot safer leaving at 6.30 as it meant i missed a lot of the idiots out. Also, the fact the route avoided Haigh Hall was great.

I was happy with my time of 3 hours 45 minutes and will look to go faster next year when i do it again.

All in all a well run event in my eyes, just what i needed to get the cycling bug back.
    iamwhatiam.gif
  • lukasran
    lukasran Posts: 53
    I was most impressed with the goodybag, organisation, marshalling etc. it was amazing the amount of cycles on the road, great fun and constant fodder. i set off at 8 am did it in 3hours 9 mins whilst premiering my time trial bars, def do it next year.
  • Avoneer
    3 hours 9 - I'd say that was a good time.

How much did you use the tri bars?

I'm more a short distance duathlete/triathlete and took mine off for this ride!

Pat...
  • lukasran
    lukasran Posts: 53
    thanks pat, i was very pleased with it. i used the bars almost all the times that i wasn't climbing. i found them very comfortable and they just felt fast to me. i had a yellow top on an allez, maybe you saw me.
  • Avoneer
    Nopey - remember the people I overtook, not the ones that took me - tried to draft a few though.

Will have to try next year - hoping to build up a tt bike soon.

Pat ;-)