Manchester To Blackpool Experience

Avoneer
Avoneer Posts: 525
Hi All,

Couldn't find much via the search so thought I'd start a thread.

Going on from my original thread (in the wrong section) I'll try and update as I go along in the hope it might help someone in the future (http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12706799).

3 weeks to go and counting.

The most I have ever ridden was 25 miles whilst training for a Duathlon a few months ago.

I normally commute anywhere from 3 miles each way to 12 miles each way and run a fair bit so at least I have some base fitness.

The plan is/was to do a 30 mile ride yesterday morning (Saturday), a 40 mile ride mid week next week and then a 50 mile ride next weekend - that should sort out the endurance side of things.

All was going to plan yesterday - did the 1st ten miles in 30 minutes, then comfortably onto 15 miles (last three were up hill) then turned around and headed home.

Nice 3 miles downhill and as it levelled out, there was a pile of chalky stoney stones in the cycle lane, managed to avoid the bulk of them, but managed to pick up a small stone which was collected by the mech, chain and then managed to spoil the day.

Rear mech hanger sheared in two sending the mech over the cassette and into the wheel, bending a few spokes on my nice Shimano RS20 wheels and breaking the mech.

Balls.

A phone call later and at least the wife was on the way to pick me up.

A nice roadie stopped to ask if he could help, but not really much anyone could have done.

Not sure what was worse, breaking the bike, or breaking it in front of a pub with an abundance of drunk fellas waiting for a coach to go and see the game!

Update as and when something happens!

Pat...

26666_1473039155712_1525678030_31158199_4609652_n.jpg
"Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"

Comments

• Avoneer
    Good excuse for an upgraded rear mech?

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    With that sort of prep, you'll not find the ride difficult at all. A few bumps aside, the route's generally flat. Should be more a case of how fast you choose to ride it. There'll be all shapes and sizes riding, including kids on BMXs. If you're on a road bike you'll be overtaking many people, so should feel nice. Have fun.
  • Hi Avoneer, Did the ride last year on a mountain bike with a pannier box on the back that weighed a stone on its own and my 15 stones. 4 Hours 40 minutes did 60mile in 4 hours and 6 mile in 40 minutes with a horrible headwind on the prom. Really enjoyed the experience. So this year I am on a road bike and now I weigh 13.5 stones. Was hoping to do it in less than 4 hours this year but we have a new lad with us this year and he is really struggling so we will see. May see you on route my number is 314 if you feel like you are flagging just think of the beer tent and the free massage.
  • Avoneer
    Cheers fellas - making me feel even more like I can do it.

Not got my number yet, but I'll be the only clown in my pink tutu!

Must have visited about 5 LBS's and travelled nearly 80 miles, but managed to get a new rear mech hanger, but won't get my wheel back until Monday night earliest.

Went for a 5 mile jog instead today though.

Pat...

29117_1471631040510_1525678030_31153342_7709312_n.jpg
  • Variance
    Variance Posts: 130
    I've just registered for this and asked for an 8am start!!

Good luck all
  • Avoneer
    Quick update.......

Bike all back together:

3 flat bladed spoked repaired and wheel trued - £18
    New rear mech (upgraded from 2300 to Sora) - £20
    Mech Hanger - £12

So not too bad.......

Anyway, was sunny when I got home from work after my 3 mile hilly commute so I decided to try and go for the 30 miler again.

Jumped on the Giant and off I went.

All went well until 25 miles and then I think i had my 1st bonk.

It was like hitting a wall and I could have so easily stopped, got off and sat down for a while, but I grinded on for the last 5 hilly miles and made it home in one piece.

Only took half a bottle of zipvit energy drink thing so will learn from that that I need something more when going for this long.

Total time was 1hour 50 minutes.

Furthest distance I've ever cycled and most time I've ever spent on a saddle.

Quite pleased with myself, and I'll sleep tonight!

Pat...
  • Avoneer
    Woo hoo - got my number (even though the pink tutu will be a giveaway) - 4291.

Off for a 40 mile hilly training run in the morning.

Pat...
  • Avoneer
    Update:

38.5 mile ride done.

Just under 3 hours, but jesus are there some bigs hills between Leeds and Manchester!

I was taking it very easy this time though and it was really windy as well.

No saddle sores or injuries, just knackered a few hours later.

60 mile - bring it on.

Pat...
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Hi dudes, looks like i'm goign to be doing this. Just read posts of last years one, seems there were 2 big issues.

1. The poor cycling skills

2. incidents at haigh hall

so, what would b ethe besttime to set off to avoid the crowds and how dangerous is the haigh hall part?
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • bugsrabbit
    bugsrabbit Posts: 182
    Set off as early as you can! i set off at 7 last year and beat the masses. This year i,m seting off at 6-6.30, the roads are empty. It's a brilliant experience and well organized. ENJOY
  • bugsrabbit
    Looks like you,ll need your waterproofs aswell :cry:
  • Avoneer
    Another update.

Got all set for my 50 mile training run on Saturday morning.

Decided to do two 30 miles loops instead so I could test my new Triathlon shorts for the 1st loop and have a quick piss stop and re-fuel at home.

All went well until about 45 miles when my old running ITB injury started to niggle and I bonked again at 50 miles.

Had drunk 1.5 litres of Zipshit, 1 gel and 1 energy bar.

Looks like I need to double up on the gels - 1 every 45 minutes ish.

Other than that, I did it.

Last 10 miles were an absolute killer, but my arse was fine and I now know that I can do the distance.

Times weren't bad either.

1st 10 miles in 29:45.

30 miles in 1:45:00.

Ended on 3:46:00 - last 10 miles were all sub 15mph though.

As long as I get the fueling right and my knee holds out, next Sunday shouldn't be so bad.

Pat...
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    You'll do well with training if you keep going on those "big hills" between Leeds and Manchester, that's the pennines ;) lol.
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Apparently it's going to pee it down. Any tips on prep, clothing etc? I've never done a long bike ride in the rain. Is it worth getting overshoes? I don't really want to wear waterproofs as its going to be warm.
  • Avoneer
    Hi All,

If it's warm, I'm just gonna wear my normal socks and trainers and get wet feet!

Cycle shorts + cycle s/s top + thin waterproof coat as and when required.

Pat...
  • bugsrabbit
    Strip down to the naked essentials, and be really careful going through haigh hall in Wigan. When it's been raining under the trees it's a bloody nightmare. Good luck to you all
  • Avoneer
    Forecast looking a lot better now.

Light rain at 10.00 and not heavy rain until the afternoon.

Pat...
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    bugsrabbit wrote:
    Strip down to the naked essentials, and be really careful going through haigh hall in Wigan. When it's been raining under the trees it's a bloody nightmare. Good luck to you all
    I'll second that! :wink:

When I did the M-B, straw bales had been placed on that descent to create chicanes to slow riders down but they were just crashing into the bales instead! The road surface was greasy and there was loose straw from the bales lying about. I'm an experienced cyclist so I could see how risky it was and rode down fairly slowly but idiots were coming flying past me on both sides and crashing in front of me - TAKE CARE! :shock:
  • Cleat Eastwood
    I'm goign to have to pick up my number tomoz from the admin tent. I take it its near the start? Also how packed does the parking get?
  • lukasran
    lukasran Posts: 53
    i have seen the sides on the road today, it doesnt go through haigh hall at all. looking forward to some serious scalping tommorow. good luck everyone doing it.
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    I should be there somewhere tomorrow, depends how I feel as I am knackered now after doing a 25 miler today up the Peak district on the Evans Ride it MTB.

Have a good day safe everyone.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I will be riding to the shop with my two kids tomorrow morning to buy ingredients for an enormous cooked breakfast, rather than this ride.

Have fun everyone!
  • Avoneer
    Hi All,

Just finished eating pasta all day and fully topped up with Lucozade.

No doubt will have orange stained sheets in the morning (sweat and wee).

Remember to call the bloke in the pink tutu a big girl as you all fly past me.

Pat...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Avoneer wrote:
    Hi All,

Just finished eating pasta all day and fully topped up with Lucozade.

No doubt will have orange stained sheets in the morning (sweat and wee).

Remember to call the bloke in the pink tutu a big girl as you all fly past me.

Pat...

Bobbins food prep mate! You need low GI stuff...
  • lukasran
    lukasran Posts: 53
    great days cycling! saw some dude in a pink tutu when i was waiting for my brother at the finish. i shouted "go on pat" and got a surprised nod back. i think probably you. if so you looked to be finishing strong.
  • Avoneer
    Hi All,

What a day.

Weather remained cloudy, but no rain during my run.

Wind was a bugger for the last 10 miles or so.

1.5 litres of Gatorade and 3 gels saw me finish in just under 3 hours 30 minutes with 2 brief pee stops.

Lots of friendly people and had a great time.

No dramas to report either.

Drafted a few "real" cyclists for part of the way - what a difference drafting makes.

Saw a lot of parents with kids on their bikes as well - hope they made it.

Pat...
  • Avoneer
    Lucasran - yep - that was me.

Had no acknowledgment the whole ride (apart from the comical comments) hence the suprise.

Cheered me up though so nice one and many thanks!

Pat...
  • Cleat Eastwood
    edited July 2010
    I thought it was a cracking day. Got there late and left about half 8, it was difficult trying to get any speed up as there were tons of riders all over the place. I'll definitely do an earlier time next year.

Really impressed with it. Great day, great event, great charity to support.

And ohhh that head wind...i just finished as the heavens opened so god help anyone caught in the head wind and the showers.

Cold beer time I think. smiley-eatdrink009.gif
  • Avoneer
    Oh, and a big up to the guy who stayed clipped in and went to lean on one of those new signs that are spring loaded.

Pat...
  • Avoneer
    Anyone else get exfoliated/sandblasted?

Still blowing sand out of my nose now!

Pat...