energy food?

2»

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    As for 18 miles being fine without food - probably true - but why would you WANT to do it without food!?

Because it's not a huge exertion and eating is pointless? For some at least.
  • BigShot
    BigShot Posts: 151
    njee - I fully accept that 18 miles is more than doable without food for anyone in a reasonable state of fitness.

I mean why do it without food because it's absolutely brill to stop off some where nice, fill your face and then keep riding. It's nothing to do with need and everything to do with the sheer joy of eating stuff (I really should be a lard arse with this view of food! Haha.)

Northwind - glad I mentioned them! I'm pretty sure I had and enjoyed one of the gluten free ones a while back. Can't remember if I got it in Tesco or some local hippie-run veggie & vegan place though. (I'm neither a hippie, veggie or a vegan, btw)

Bon ap'.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    njee20 wrote:
    eating is pointless?
    How dare you?! :evil:

:lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Aah, a cafe stop for a spot of lunch is very different! I see no point in eating an energy bar on an 18 mile ride. I don't bother to carry food for anything under 5 hours or so myself.
  • BigShot
    BigShot Posts: 151
    Now we're in the same chapter, if not the same page ;)

Think "portable café" but without the doilies, polite service and having to ask if you're ok to come in with a bit of mud on you. :P

Stop "somewhere nice" like the top of a b**** of a hill - open the rucksack/camelback/saddlebag/whatever and have a munch on something tasty (lightweight and convenient - hence Nakd bars) and off again. I've never been into thrashing along non-stop though. :D

Of course my preferred kind of food for a stop like that involves fresh crusty bread, some quality fillings and a nice sup of water to wash it all down - but it's much harder to shoe-horn that into a thread about energy bars... if I've not got the time or inclination to prepare something not far off a picnic then it's Nakd (or flapjacks) all the way... possibly both... and now I suddenly feel like packing a well padded jar of clotted cream, one of jam and a couple of scones. That'd be a nice start to hooning down a well-earned descent. Maybe I'll leave that to the caf' at the end though. :P
  • Flapjack, every time. But they have to be home made, with a splash of whisky in the mix for good measure.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    For under 20 miles - I will normally eat before hand (e.g. porridge for breakfast) and just take water.

For 20-30 miles - I will take a couple of serial bars along with the water for the half way point and maybe a nana.

30-50 miles I will take lots of serial bars and a couple of drink suplements to pop in the water bag (can simply just be sugar and salt for example) and that will be on top of a good breakfast + some nanas

50-70 miles proper high density supplements and water additives and a few nanas and serial bars + decent breakfast (crash carb shake and porridge)

70-100 miles as above, but I will take pain killers, arnica tablets and only quality suplements