energy food?

freeride-mike
freeride-mike Posts: 553
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
Ive done a few rides so far 10 - 12 mile but im doing my 1st long'ish ride (18 miles) next weekend and was wondering what type of food is good to keep u goin and what small snacks help along the way?? not looking to buy cycling specific stuff just the sort of things u have at home :wink:

cheers :D
CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Jelly babies for boosts of energy. Shouldn't need much more for 18 miles.

Take a banana if you're feeling healthy.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    flapjacks, energy bars, fig rolls, snickers, bananas, the list keeps going.
  • Banana's here... wack 2 in my pack and they keep me going :)
  • fredy
    fredy Posts: 308
    flapjacks are good, but as said before, you shouldn't need much for 18 miles, it will fly by.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I always take a snickers with me unless its stupidly hot, which then I just take some jelly babies or fig rolls.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Sainsburys Basics oat and raisin bars, and a couple of bags of crisps :P
  • its a shame hate banana's seems there top of most peoples lists, got some oat and raison bars and mite grab a pack of jelly babies on the way.

thanks for replys :D
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Snickers is awesome. Get your boost from the sugar and there's some slow release carbs from the nuts. Could do 1miles on nothing though really.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    For trips less then 10 miles I'd probably just have an energy drink. For 10-25 miles I usually carry light, a *Lucazade energy gel, *Lucazade energy glucose tablets, Bassets Jelly babies, some chocolate (unless it's a hot day). I doubt you'll need more then that.

The problem with me with oat bars is that the oats can stick to my dry throat and teeth and I end up coughing and choking.

I find the best thing is to have a good breakfast, then before a MTB ride eat a banana or sandwich with a Red Bull type drink.

*I only use Lucazade because I can easily get it from my local supermarket 300 yards away :wink:

I've also very recently used a small bottle of caffeine called "Voltz" that a local shop sells for 40p on 2 recent road sportives it bucked me up a bit and is quiet light and small.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • merlie
    merlie Posts: 276
    GHill wrote:
    Jelly babies for boosts of energy. Shouldn't need much more for 18 miles.

Take a banana if you're feeling healthy.

I've always had accidents with carrying bananas ... better to make yourself a banana cake ! really simple to make - just google it
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    Merlie, you NEED one of these!

http://www.bananaguard.com/

you may get a few funny looks when you, erm whip it out though
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not sure you really need anything apart from water for 18 miles. Maybe take some sweets?
  • sophsoph
    sophsoph Posts: 24
    Banana, peanut butter and jam sandwiches. boom!
  • sophsoph
    sophsoph Posts: 24
    Banana, peanut butter and jam sandwiches. boom!
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Just eat little and often while you ride. Have a pasta meal the night before and a decent breakfast and you'll be well set. Jaffa cakes, buttered malt loaf, cereal bars, fig rolls - all awesome!

Bananas are brilliant MTFU and eat them! :wink:
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    its a shame hate banana's seems there top of most peoples lists

I feel your pain! I haven't eaten for over 20 years and its gone so long now I just cant bring myself to do it :) Annoying as I knows it such a good source of energy etc...

Flapjacks are a good option for me. I must say Julian Graves do some lovely ones, and are generally on 3 for £1! Various flavors and a good size.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,868
    Not sure you really need anything apart from water for 18 miles. Maybe take some sweets?

+1 esp as you can do 12 miles
  • take a look at SIS products

they do energy drinks and gels etc designed for sports

SIS Starter Pack is only £10 and contains some great products and a free bottle
    2011 Focus Cayo 105 Ltd
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disk
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Ive done a few rides so far 10 - 12 mile but im doing my 1st long'ish ride (18 miles) next weekend and was wondering what type of food is good to keep u goin and what small snacks help along the way??
    Shouldn't need too much for 18 miles if you can do 12 OK.

I can do a hot lap :) of Cannock (27 miles or so door-to-door) on 1.5 litres of drink but if it's a slower more sociable pace I'll take a banana, fig rolls, dried apricots, snickers, eccles cakes etc just for something to eat during the stops.
  • Anonymous
    hoochylala wrote:
    its a shame hate banana's seems there top of most peoples lists

I feel your pain! I haven't eaten for over 20 years
    bloody hell, you must be starving!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    18 miles? The only question is whether I take Starmix or Supermix :lol: If you don't like bananas but want a fruit option dried fruit works pretty well, but I ask myself, why eat fruit when you can eat sweeties?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bananas, flapjacks or ginger cake.

Something that's moist and releases energy slowly.

I avoid anything like chocolate or red bull. They give you a quick boost but then you feel worse after.

I also suck wine gums to stop my mouth getting dry.
  • Anonymous
    I love wine gums, but they completely dry my mouth out!
  • reevie25
    reevie25 Posts: 254
    I ussually take Soreen Malt Loaf on long rides and just water from the good ol' camelbak......
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Eat a fat bowl of porridge before u go and u wont need to eat anything else whilst ur out, its fantastic stuff and i swear by it :D:D
  • Anonymous
    porridge never works for me. If I have it for breakfast, I find I'm starving again 30 minutes later.
  • gazeddy
    gazeddy Posts: 305
    porridge never works for me. If I have it for breakfast, I find I'm starving again 30 minutes later.

do you get your porridge from the chinese:P
    I rode what you dug last summer
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
  • BigShot
    BigShot Posts: 151
    My current favourite snack is Nakd bars.
    Apple flavour seems a bit more moist but the Strawberry one is a nicer flavour. Either way it's a wee bit on the dry side so you'll be wanting to have a sup of water with them.
    They do a cocoa one if an all-natural fruit and oat bar seems to healthy.

They've got a gluten free range in a pile of flavours and a sepcial outdoorsy "trek" one too... I've never had them though.

Not the cheapest but well worth carrying along.

As for 18 miles being fine without food - probably true - but why would you WANT to do it without food!?

Stopping for a bit of scran on the trail is definitely one of the finer things in life.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    BigShot wrote:
    They've got a gluten free range in a pile of flavours and a sepcial outdoorsy "trek" one too... I've never had them though.

Ah cool, I'll need to check that out, looks like Tesco just discontinued the gluten free breakfast bar I've been using and replaced it with a really horrible rice-and-fruit abortion :cry: So I've been back on the rice crispie squares.
    Uncompromising extremist