124»

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    afx237vi wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    the Armstrong bashing hoard form. Kinda clone like you guys are...agree on everything

What? This entire thread has been filled with your fishing hooks Dave. Kinda boring.

I found it interesting , just academically, who is fastest...its isn't pointless. But good try.

Good for you. Just quit with the "Armstrong bashing" thing. Whatever you read into my comment is completely in your mind.

thanks., was a good stage today regardless of times
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    Can't recall seeing Janez grimacing or breathing deeply much at all this whole Dauphine. Not impressed.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dave_1
    good pics FF...in the old days the guys went for jt on the drops...Bugno, Lemond...great finish, Indurain Chiapucci 1992
  • frenchfighter
    Yeah, I think Contador would like to but...!:

Pantani was out of this world. He attacked from way, way out. He was incredible. But what attracted my attention even more was that he climbed mountains gripping the handlebars from below. After watching that video, I tried to do the same thing and I couldn’t. I ended up with terrible leg pain. I still wonder how he was able to do that.

- Contador
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    With regard to the times - you get much faster times when a strong attack happens at the bottom and sticks, rather than playing silly buggers like they did today. A little bizzare - certainly a stage you could never have in the Tour.
  • dave_1
    FF, Pantani would kill Contador on Alpe'dhuez
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,229
    Can't remember the last time I saw a stage with so much pointless attacking. No one really went for it, whether that was because they couldn't or that the wind was too hard I don't know. Jani looked capable of riding away from them at any point and was a bit disappointed he didn't have a go. Definately seemed to be a point when he took a turn on the front for the first time that him and Bertie did a deal. Nice to see Bertie suffering on a climb too :)
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Dave_1 wrote:

the Armstrong. Kinda clone like
    OK so I've edited your post but I think you almost got it.
    The armstrong clones playing with one another it seemed to me.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    As coherent as ever
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dave_1
    Yeah, I think Contador would like to but...!:

Pantani was out of this world. He attacked from way, way out. He was incredible. But what attracted my attention even more was that he climbed mountains gripping the handlebars from below. After watching that video, I tried to do the same thing and I couldn’t. I ended up with terrible leg pain. I still wonder how he was able to do that.

- Contador

to be fair Blaze and afx say timing the climb is meanginless so we can't infer from 7 minutes slower ascents that they might be cleaner according to these two. They are the experts :lol:
  • dave_1
    There's been a lot of obscure thread baiting in the last couple of days.
    Some very "odd" comments and theories have appeared..........

couldn't be a more odd theory than not minding the colateral damage from Landis- half the peloton perhaps dumped into unemployment to clean the sport, yet let one get away while punishing the other. Almost every time I see you post you annoy me. You're proof that a little knowledge can be dangerous
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Dave: Take a look at the current Landis (fed appointed) thread.
    One very general post at number 3.
    Clearly shows I'm not interested in your silly baiting.

Maybe that's what annoys you so.

As to the climb. Maybe these guys only have a little knowledge, too:
    http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=5868#ancre1

Alberto Contador won the stage of the Criterium du Dauphiné climbed Alpe d'Huez 42min20s at an average speed of 19.56 km / h. It 5min25s more than the record of Pantani in 1995.
    Between the foot of the pass and Chapel St. Ferreol (6.5 km from the summit), Contador and Brajkovic developed an average power of 420 watts (for a standard 78 kg rider) in an effort to 23min17s. At that time, they were delayed 1min25s on the transit time of Carlos Sastre in 2008.
    Above, the strong headwind did not estimate the power output. Contador and Brajkovic slowed their pace. By maintaining the same pace, they could climb the Alpe d'Huez in its entirety in approximately 40min20s.

Unlucky, there, Dave. Still, a fail is a FAIL.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    But they didn't maintain the same pace so that hypothetical comment is pointless.

--

Alberto admitted that his physical condition at the time being “isn’t excellent, but I wanted to win here, and last night I was watching videos online about how Pantani, Lance and other riders won to get familiar with the mountain. I went to bed with winning to win on Alpe d’Huez and this will be a stage I’ll always remember.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • kanto
    kanto Posts: 112
    Even though Berto probably wasn't in 100% shape, it was nice to see a one on one battle with a rider who could match him on a mountain. I actually had memories of Rasmussen and Contador on the Aubisque, and I thought Brajkovic would shoot away in the last few KM. I thought Ricco might be the first rider not to crack against Berto, but it is nice to see Brajkovic showing that quality too.

I don't think there is any doubt Pantani was a better climber than Bertie and I think will keep the record for the Alpe. Pantani was able to attack and take minutes and minutes away through consistent high tempo riding, as well as his explosive attacks. Contador can accelerate so well, but he doesn't maintain the infernal pace that Pantani could do once he had a gap. Contador often attacks, slows down, accelerates, slows down, whilst I think Pantani kept a much better pace.