How much do u spend for year?

giantculler
giantculler Posts: 92
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Hi Guys, I'm curious. How much do you spend during a year with the bike? I mean, with accessories, up grade, clothes...?

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    ive spent well over a grand already, and that figure will quadruple later in the year with purchase of new bike :D
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I dread to think.... :shock:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Tyres, grips, tubes, chains, blocks, chain rings, pedals, cleats, shoes, jeans, oil, cables, tools - and that's mostly stuff that wears out...
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    From Jan last year till now-around £1500

Christ knows where I got the money from :shock:
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    miss notax wrote:
    I dread to think.... :shock:

This. I know last year was well over £5,000... :shock:
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    I built a bike up at the beginning of the year and spent around £800, then decided I couldnt be arsed finishing and bought the Cube...and then started buying things for that, already got avid elixers instead of the hayes, and a hussfelt bar so....Quite a lot actualy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    a lot. a hell of a lot. But it's still cheaper than a crappy girlfriend.
    I now seem to have gotten into DSLRs too, which is also very expensive.
    Hmm. Need to rob a bank or start an insurance company I think.
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    I've spent just over £5k on accessories, clothing, tyres etc since January 2007 (not including bike component upgrades).

Including bikes, upgrades, and the above £14k.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    This. I know last year was well over £5,000... :shock:

holy crap ! does this bike have a cocaine / hooker habit ? :lol:
  • jonnyc2420
    jonnyc2420 Posts: 557
    quite simply - more than my wife thinks i do.......... :twisted:
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Argh, I really don't want to know. Even ignoring the glow in the dark Mojo I'm currently blowing money on, I've also bought a top of the line £1300 Tricross Comp (with 10% off!). Err, £170 seatpost, £170 Garmin cycling computer, £50 new shock bushings + tool to fit them from BETD, £50 of tyres.

Hmm, I need to sell more things I think.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    Less than £20! but I have a list of parts that will cost around £300
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • toooo much!

about £500 this year, last year was more as had new frame and another set of forks etc. but this year am doing quite well to keep it down!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I dont want to add it up to be honest, I think I'd scare myself considering we're saving for a bigger place to live :lol:
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Probably £1200 this year, but I've also sold lots of bike on eBay so on balance maybe £800, doesn't include roadtrips to centres and such. Also doesn't include the £900 of private medical bills after my last crash.

This years been a quite one too, no new bikes, in fact wasn't even able to ride one till easter time.

Next year will probably be £3000-£4000, income permitting there's a Whistler trip in the 'must do' box, maybe another Alps trips to the Mega (won't be completeing) and my everyday/XC/AM bike is due a change.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    i think the key to this lark is vigilant year round shopping tactics and buy in advance and you can really minimise the damage a lot that way. still works out an expensive hobby though.
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    I did a quick calculation late last year and including bikes, components, clothing, mags, biking holidays etc. it's well over £14k for the last 4 years.

Since then I've bought a road bike with a few upgrades.

This is the main reason why I set up the servicing and guiding business!
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    This year, not much. Around £1100. There is two new bikes included in that though
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Probably over a grand this year :shock:

I have no idea where the money comes from since me and my parents don't work :lol: and I'm about to spend even more, just not sure what on.

New chainring bolts, maybe a new tyre (can never have too much rubber :wink: ) hmmmmm...maybe a new stem....
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    not as much as I thought.

Frame, BB, Headset, chainset, grips, bars, stem, post, saddle, seals, fork, wheels totalling around £850. But the wheels went back after they broke so actually about £600.

But then there's clothing, Jacket, shorts, base layers, socks, cleaner etc, that I haven't even kept a record of.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    it's all the silly bits of sh!t you end up buying that mounts up. :twisted:
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Actually, considering all the little bits like tubes, co2, cables and stuff like that it's probably over £1200
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Too much.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Actually, now that I think about it, I'm like Spongtastic. Not as much as I initially thought either.
    A new bike, new forks, a chainset, and a couple of new headsets is pretty much it.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I'm the opposite - it will much more than I think it is..... Which is why I am definitely NOT reaching for the calculator! I don't want to know :wink:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    I don't count, it would spoil the fun. If I can afford it and other stuff I want/need, its fine. The fact that Wiggle made me a 'platinum customer' (and I don't just buy stuff from Wiggle) means I probably don't want to know the answer...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    So far this year.

~£3k

But barring the odd bit here and there (replacement bits for stuff that gets worn out/broken) etc, that's my spending finished for the year and it does include an entire new bike, built from scratch.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    edited June 2010
    in the last 8 months:
    Rockrider 5 XC- 370

Upgrades:
    RS recons- 150
    Bars- 20
    stem- 15
    stem no.2- 12
    spacers- 4
    tyres (4) 98
    grips- 15
    pedals- 10
    pedals- 25
    pads (superstar) 18
    total for bike/ upgrades: £737

lbs- fitting/fixing things charges- about 40

kit/clothes:
    karrimior rucksack- 20
    knee/shin pads- 30
    elbow/forearm pads- 20
    661 gloves: 12
    spesh air force 3 helmet (got smashed up) : 25
    giro hex- 45
    shock pump- 15
    scott flat shoes-20
    kit total: £177

total in all 10 months: £954 :shock:
    i thought it would be 800 at the most
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    So far about £100 on clothing (baselayer, jersey, shorts), £30.74 on a bleed kit, £20 on a saddle (reduced, £60 new!).

Sadly for equality, my biking habit is heavily subsidised by t'husband. I'm quite glad he doesn't sell stuff on that much, I got a new bike out of it! :P

Cheaper and more entertaining than kids!
  • I've had a bit of a hiatus from biking, but in the last month I've spent around £250.
    about £50 to get my bike back in good condition, another £20 to replace a perished hydration bladder and the rest on shiny new things like lycra that fits me now and a second set of tyres more suited to dry loose stuff (wherupon it rained for the hardest it has in months).

Roll on september as I'll be once again abusing my student loan to the tune of some new wheels (unless I can instead miraculously find a 29'er with the leftover money once my rent is paid.)