30 Gears, Evolution for the sake of it?

13»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    peter413 wrote:
    Nope, max capacity of my rear mech, 37 tooth and thats what my sums give me :lol:

37? What mech is it? Capacity is not the same as max tooth. Capacity is ability to take up slack.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i thought the max was 34 on most mechs, seeing as a 36t rear cog has only really been avaiable for the last fewmonths??
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    supersonic wrote:
    peter413 wrote:
    Nope, max capacity of my rear mech, 37 tooth and thats what my sums give me :lol:

37? What mech is it? Capacity is not the same as max tooth. Capacity is ability to take up slack.

Medium cage X9, and oops, didn't check max tooth :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Overlap is a necessity of all front mech systems.

If you think about it, with a standard cassette a 44/22 chainring combo would give no overlap - assuming a front mech could be made that can handle it. But when you changed from one chainring to another for the next gear, you'd have quite a lot of changes in the rear to do as well.

Some overlap is necessary for these reasons. Just because those gears are there does not mean you should use them.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I use pretty much all the practical gears on a fairly regular basis. The highest a little less commonly at the moment because there are less hills round loughborough than at home in the north downs. As I say, I could probably get away without the inner or outer if I wanted, but it'd be a pain and I wouldn't enjoy riding as much.

Lawman- I'm pretty sure shimano encourage more cross chaining with dyna sys, although I can't for the life of me remember where I read it. Also, if you're putting more sprockets in the same space, that will increase the number of sprockets available within the safe 'angle' for the chain coming off the chainrings, surely?
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Does anyone know how specific the magic new chain (TM) of Shimano is? Would using a 10 speed SRAM chain have a large negative effect if everything else was 10 speed Shimano?
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    GHill wrote:
    Does anyone know how specific the magic new chain (TM) of Shimano is? Would using a 10 speed SRAM chain have a large negative effect if everything else was 10 speed Shimano?

That's actually a really good point. Sram chains are about the only thing of theirs I use.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    pHz wrote:
    ive run my bikes 1x9 / 1x8 / 1x7 for as long as i can remember now so forgive the question

those of you with 24 / 27 / 30 speed setups - how many of those gears do you actually regularly use ?

slainte :?: rob

I only ever use 11 out of my 24 gears hence the switch to 1x10 where I will only lose half a gear at either end according to my excel sheet.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I get 1x10 as a positive ala Dirt Mag's hailing of the new rear but as people have said a 9 speed rear cassette could give the same low gear if the big two would make them.

I currently run a 22-44 front triple on my FS and a 26-48 and find I use pretty much all the gears from time to time - that said I tend to only use the big ring on rough decents with the mid range at the back to ensure chain retention - if I had good chain tension I could probably go to the middle ring and a smaller at the rear with no issues - I rarely use 48 & 11 except on downhill road sections and then probably spin faster in a lower range for preference.

As a result I reckon a 2x10 setup offers a bit more benefit than a 3x10 - I am considering a 2x9 with a bash and chaindevice for my FS as it is.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    GHill wrote:

That's actually a really good point. Sram chains are about the only thing of theirs I use.

Me too - have you read the latest dyn-a-sys SLX review.

Apparently they are going for a direction chain (is that what you mean GHill)??... take it that means it can only go around 2 ways as opposed to the current 4 ways???