Naked bike ride, I don't get it?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Seriously, I don't get it. Why do people take part in this?

What does it achieve?

Aren't there clubs and beaches for that sort of thing....
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    To even out their tans?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    And the weather ??? And the saddle ??? makes me wince just thinking about it
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I'd do it if I could ride in the middle of the pack away from people with camera phones.... Anyone else? We could do a Bike Radar entry - body paint our backsides with the Bike Radar logo.... Anyone?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • SamWise1972
    SamWise1972 Posts: 220
    It was originally dual purpose. Protest excessive reliance on oil, grabbing attention by being naked, and also draw attention to how vulnerable cyclists are. It's become really popular because actually, most people respond really positively to it, and I think underneath, lots of British people would like to be more comfortable about getting naked. It's a bit of an adventure, something to tell your kids you've done, with no risk of arrest and no danger. It's become a bit about body acceptance too, which is needed, as can be seen by some of the comments on the other thread.

People's bodies don't somehow exist for the pleasure of others, and just because someone doesn't meet someone else's paradigm of perfection doesn't mean they should be shut away and hidden. It's just skin people, no big deal. I must admit that the "catching on the saddle" issue worried me a bit the first time, but on a gentle slow few miles, it's not an issue. I wouldn't suggest cycling naked as a matter of course, but I do recommend becoming a bit less hung up about bodies, your own and other peoples, and this is a way to do that. Once you've been surrounded by a couple of hundred naked people of all shapes and sizes, some near "perfection", most not, it's hard to think their nakedness, or yours, is a big deal.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    It was originally dual purpose. Protest excessive reliance on oil, grabbing attention by being naked, and also draw attention to how vulnerable cyclists are. It's become really popular because actually, most people respond really positively to it, and I think underneath, lots of British people would like to be more comfortable about getting naked. It's a bit of an adventure, something to tell your kids you've done, with no risk of arrest and no danger. It's become a bit about body acceptance too, which is needed, as can be seen by some of the comments on the other thread.

People's bodies don't somehow exist for the pleasure of others, and just because someone doesn't meet someone else's paradigm of perfection doesn't mean they should be shut away and hidden. It's just skin people, no big deal. I must admit that the "catching on the saddle" issue worried me a bit the first time, but on a gentle slow few miles, it's not an issue. I wouldn't suggest cycling naked as a matter of course, but I do recommend becoming a bit less hung up about bodies, your own and other peoples, and this is a way to do that. Once you've been surrounded by a couple of hundred naked people of all shapes and sizes, some near "perfection", most not, it's hard to think their nakedness, or yours, is a big deal.

A simple 'so you can ride around with your twanger out' would have sufficed

:wink:
  • SamWise1972
    kelsen wrote:

A simple 'so you can ride around with your twanger out' would have sufficed

:wink:

:D:lol::D
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    as posted on another thread...we don't stand by that sort of thing here in sunny edinburgh...

cover up please.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/scotl ... 6346939.jp
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    So, I wonder how many "monday morning flagpoles" there will be.......
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • SamWise1972
    Never seen one. Doesn't really happen on nude beaches either. The thing is, simple nakedness, in a scenario where clearly nobody is about to start shagging you, just isn't particularly sexy. Not to say that it can't be beautiful, but there's nothing very erotic about standing around in a field with bicycles.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Aren't there clubs and beaches for that sort of thing....
    That would be silly, everyone knows that sand wears out bike transmissions like nobodys business :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    edited June 2010
    Aye we have a weirdness about it in the UK.

I mean, I'm half Swedish - and no while of course normal people still wear clothes - I don't bat an eyelid at seeing the Swedish side of my family naked (even my stepmother) or them seeing me naked while on holiday. It simply doesn't matter.

It's always been weird when I've come back to the UK after a holiday in Sweden - for example any communal shower blocks out there are completely communal (although segregated by sex, of course) - two big rooms, one with lots of benches and pegs around the outside, the other with lots of shower heads. No cubicles.

And I'd die of shame to be seen naked by, or see my (British) stepfather naked. Brrrrrrr. It's really odd.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    Doing one in Cork 19th July... early hours of the morning so not many people about.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    I ride a Selle Italia SLC:

http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/selle-italia-sd311-07.jpg

Where on earth might Big Jim and the Twins end up? Just doesn't bear thinking about.
  • kelsen
    edited June 2010
    sarajoy wrote:
    I mean, I'm half Swedish - and no while of course normal people still wear clothes - I don't bat an eyelid at seeing the Swedish side of my family naked (even my stepmother) or them seeing me naked while on holiday. It simply doesn't matter.

Don't believe a word that you're saying. Prove it (with a pic) :P

EDIT: Of yourself that is, not your stepmother (though I'm sure she's a comely woman in her own right)
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    ...... but there's nothing very erotic about standing around in a field with bicycles.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm bicycles
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • plumpy wrote:
    I ride a Selle Italia SLC:

http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/selle-italia-sd311-07.jpg

Where on earth might Big Jim and the Twins end up? Just doesn't bear thinking about.

'Big Jim and the twins' - my new favourite euphemism! :lol:
  • sarajoy
    kelsen wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:

EDIT: Of yourself that is, not your stepmother (though I'm sure she's a comely woman in her own right)
    See, Brits are pervy :P
  • DonDaddyD
    Right so riding around naked isn't about vouyerism, it's all about the message and there are many.

Also its about good fun. Right.

I agree with the lack of eroticism, naked bodies aren't all that attractive to me... but the mind can wander...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • SamWise1972
    Lots of voyeurism happens, but that's not why most people who are riding are there. It's a fun experience cycling through a city centre naked, and liberating. And the more often things like this happen, the less people would feel the need to be pervy and voyeuristic. In countries where nudity in saunas and other places is pretty normal, people don't feel the need to stare. Why would you?
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    sarajoy wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:

You called????

Oh sorry thought someone mentioned my name there, but the perv isn't capitalised to be a name. My bad. Carry on.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • kelsen
    sarajoy wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:

I agree, which is why a pic of you naked would go a long way in getting nakedness to be more widely accepted in British society... :wink:
  • sarajoy
    Tsk.
  • DonDaddyD
    edited June 2010
    In countries where nudity in saunas and other places is pretty normal, people don't feel the need to stare. Why would you?

I don't believe that for a second.

I think specsavers would run out of stock...
    Food Chain number = 4

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I could be tempted to join.........critical mass taken to the next level with the nudity to difuse agression from white van drivers?

Cardiff on Saturday, Bristol on Monday hmmmm :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    sarajoy wrote:
    Tsk.

Hey not pointed at me I hope hehe
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Oops, I meant Bristol on Sunday. :oops:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I find my saddle just about bearable in baggies and normal boxer shorts! I think going sans clothes would make it rather uncomfortable!! I suppose I could use the minimal cheapo lidl cycle shorts which will actually provide me with a tiny bit more cover then my rather small black swim shorts (not quite full on speedo-cut pants but just enough to cover my awesome cyclists bum!)

As I'm more then happy to strut around a swimming pool in them I don't see the problem and I suppose if I did go fully naked I could just ride around in an aero tuck ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    I find my saddle just about bearable in baggies and normal boxer shorts! I think going sans clothes would make it rather uncomfortable!! I suppose I could use the minimal cheapo lidl cycle shorts which will actually provide me with a tiny bit more cover then my rather small black swim shorts (not quite full on speedo-cut pants but just enough to cover my awesome cyclists bum!)

As I'm more then happy to strut around a swimming pool in them I don't see the problem and I suppose if I did go fully naked I could just ride around in an aero tuck ;-)

If you went naked every woman in a 10mile radius of you would find themselves pregnant.
    Food Chain number = 4

• itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    there's nothing very erotic about standing around in a field with bicycles.

There are those who might not agree with you.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    So, I wonder how many "monday morning flagpoles" there will be.......

you ever had wood riding a bicycle (bike was way too ambiguous)

on the flipside getting your old man caught in the chain is no laughing matter
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14