federal prosecutor appointed

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited June 2010 in Pro race
Great :?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/federal ... ndis-probe

Miller to assist Novitzky’s investigation

The United States of America’s Justice Department has appointed federal prosecutor Doug Miller to a probe into Floyd Landis’ accusations, according to the New York Daily News. Miller’s role will be to prosecute any case which may develop from the investigation.

Landis confessed to doping during his own professional career in an e-mail to USA Cycling leaked to selected media outlets - including Cyclingnews.com - last month. The e-mail implicated several major cycling figures in the practice or knowledge of doping, including Lance Armstrong, George Hincapie, Levi Leipheimer and Jim Ochowicz.

Miller, an assistant U.S. Attorney, can apply for search warrants and cooperation agreements which Novitzky might need to collect evidence for any case which could materialise from the allegations. He has experience with sports doping cases having played a role in the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative (BALCO) case – recognised at the time as one of the largest sports doping rings ever uncovered.

While unrelated to Miller’s work on the case, it also involved a cyclist in track rider Tammy Thomas. She was convicted of making false statements to a federal grand jury and sentenced to six months house arrest and five years probation in October, 2008.

The United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) is currently investigating Landis’ claims against the USA residence implicated by the rider. The International Cycling Union (UCI) has called for the French, Belgian and Australian national federations to investigate others implicated in the e-mail, while it has attempted to clear its own name of any wrongdoing over money accepted from Armstrong prior to his first retirement from cycling.

Follow Cyclingnews on Twitter for the very latest coverage of events taking place in the cycling world - twitter.com/cyclingnewsfeed

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's all on a different scale. An "investigation" from a sports body is pretty toothless but being probed by a federal agent means you go under oath and face jail time for any lies. The same agent will be questioning a lot of people in the case, it only takes one or two people to crack or simply spill the beans and the big names will fall of their perch.

saddamstatue.jpg
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I suppose it must be worrying for the high profile name at the top of this pyramid.
    If Mr Miller has any political ambition, which is likely, he could see this appointment as an opportunity to make a name for himself.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dave_1
    edited June 2010
    Kléber wrote:
    It's all on a different scale. An "investigation" from a sports body is pretty toothless but being probed by a federal agent means you go under oath and face jail time for any lies. The same agent will be questioning a lot of people in the case, it only takes one or two people to crack or simply spill the beans and the big names will fall of their perch.

saddamstatue.jpg

that picture ...it isn't the cleverest analogy Kleber ...plenty innocents paid for that and will for this federal stuff. They clearly have the whiff of something...someone beyond scum like Landis
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    I can't imagine they'd have appointed a federal prosecutor unless they felt there was a case to be made - and answered
  • dave_1
    micron wrote:
    I can't imagine they'd have appointed a federal prosecutor unless they felt there was a case to be made - and answered

to be fair this is the prob starting, no more than that...but agree, they must have got the whiff of something, looks perhaps a formality now
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

saddamstatue.jpg

that picture ...it isn't the cleverest anology Kleber ...plenty innocents paid for that and will for this federal stuff. They clearly have the whiff of something...someone beyond scum like Landis

Disagree, thought it was a good analogy Kléber. Arguably inappropriate perhaps but the analogy worked. I think Dave_1 just wanted the opportunity to mention, yet again, that innocent people will suffer if you uncover doping cases. Which in my view strengthens the analogy. Collateral damage I think it's called.

Not that I'm in any way suggesting that the collateral damage in Iraq was justified, quite the opposite in fact but let's not get in to that.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    dulldave wrote:
    Disagree, thought it was a good analogy Kléber.
    Hmmm.........Sadam Hussein was responsible for mass murder on a grand scale.........Lance Armstrong (probably) cheated in some bike races. :roll:
  • Kléber
    It was only a symbol of someone falling off their perch, don't take it literally kids
  • Bronzie
    Kléber wrote:
    It was only a symbol of someone falling off their perch, don't take it literally kids
    Fair enough, but plenty on here tend to get rather hysterical about his Holiness The Armstrong and his "crimes".

Remember folks, nobody died................yet! :wink:
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    Interesting times ahead. The timing of this as well. I wonder if the investigation will clash with the TdF. It could scupper a few people's chances of riding it.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,566
    Bronzie wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    Fair enough, but plenty on here tend to get rather hysterical about his Holiness The Armstrong and his "crimes".

Please dear God, don't let Bernie see this..... I really don't need to see that list of doping casualties again....

I think it's also worth mentioning that Saddam had an absolutely enormous moustache, and LA doesn't. Clearly the symbolism is seriously flawed. Unless Kléber is suggesting some sort of connection between Saddam's handlebar and LA's handlebars.....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • westerburk
    westerburk Posts: 37
    Bronzie wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Please dear God, don't let Bernie see this..... I really don't need to see that list of doping casualties again....

I think it's also worth mentioning that Saddam had an absolutely enormous moustache, and LA doesn't. Clearly the symbolism is seriously flawed. Unless Kléber is suggesting some sort of connection between Saddam's handlebar and LA's handlebars.....

both will leave a power vaccum for other baddies

UCI will claim life is better
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Does anyone actually know about American legal process? While appointing a prosecutor certainly seems like a step up in gear do we know that this is actually the case? What is the role of the prosecutor in the US? In the UK the police would investigate, then refer the case to the crown prosecution service, who determine whether there is a case to answer in a court, i.e. whether to go ahead or not. While the police obviously know when they think they've got a decent case the CPS can still tell them it's not strong enough.

On the subject of perch falling / something stinks, may a present you with an internet meme from way back when:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNJ6qITQts0
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    westerburk wrote:

both will leave a power vaccum for other baddies

UCI will claim life is better

OK, someone's got to do it, so it might as well be me...

Weapons of Mass Doping?
  • Kléber
    If only I'd gone for that tall poppy photo or the parrot slipping on its perch.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Kléber wrote:
    If only I'd gone for that tall poppy photo or the parrot slipping on its perch.

Well the tall poppy is clearly symbolic of opiates and the drug trade so that might have fit, but parrots = pirates and I don't think Pantani has much to do with this specific case...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Great :?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/federal ... ndis-probe

Miller to assist Novitzky’s investigation

The United States of America’s Justice Department has appointed federal prosecutor Doug Miller to a probe into Floyd Landis’ accusations, according to the New York Daily News. Miller’s role will be to prosecute any case which may develop from the investigation.

Landis confessed to doping during his own professional career in an e-mail to USA Cycling leaked to selected media outlets - including Cyclingnews.com - last month. The e-mail implicated several major cycling figures in the practice or knowledge of doping, including Lance Armstrong, George Hincapie, Levi Leipheimer and Jim Ochowicz.

Miller, an assistant U.S. Attorney, can apply for search warrants and cooperation agreements which Novitzky might need to collect evidence for any case which could materialise from the allegations. He has experience with sports doping cases having played a role in the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative (BALCO) case – recognised at the time as one of the largest sports doping rings ever uncovered.

While unrelated to Miller’s work on the case, it also involved a cyclist in track rider Tammy Thomas. She was convicted of making false statements to a federal grand jury and sentenced to six months house arrest and five years probation in October, 2008.

The United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) is currently investigating Landis’ claims against the USA residence implicated by the rider. The International Cycling Union (UCI) has called for the French, Belgian and Australian national federations to investigate others implicated in the e-mail, while it has attempted to clear its own name of any wrongdoing over money accepted from Armstrong prior to his first retirement from cycling.

Follow Cyclingnews on Twitter for the very latest coverage of events taking place in the cycling world - twitter.com/cyclingnewsfeed

Excuse my ignorance but who is the Aussie allegedly involved in all of this? And the Frenchman? (I know there were a couple at USPS).
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Aussie would be Matt White, I would think.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    The French have been asked to investigate John Lelangue even though he's Belgian
  • dulldave
    Bronzie wrote:
    dulldave wrote:
    Disagree, thought it was a good analogy Kléber.
    Hmmm.........Sadam Hussein was responsible for mass murder on a grand scale.........Lance Armstrong (probably) cheated in some bike races. :roll:

I take it you didn't read the "arguably inappropriate" bit in your rush to be pious?
  • Bronzie
    dulldave wrote:
    I take it you didn't read the "arguably inappropriate" bit in your rush to be pious?
    I wasn't having a pop at you specifically. I was simply pointing out that comparing Armstrong even in passing to Saddam Hussein (or indeed Al Capone as has been done elsewhere) is a bit OTT even by the standards of this forum.
  • Kléber
    It was just the concept of a big figure falling off a pedestal. :roll:
  • dulldave
    I can't see why people get worked up about using well known situations as metaphors. Nobody is saying that Armstrong is a tirant like Sadam. That would be ludicrous.

If you use a metaphor to make a point you're usually drawing from a story that is widely known. As a result the particular metaphor you choose is likely to be a lot more severe than the subject being discussed.

If I said "beware of Greeks bearing gifts" to my aunt because Pat* (her arch rival at the local lawn bowls club) had gifted her a cutting from her rose bush. She wouldn't harangue me for comparing an old lady to the raping and pillaging of an entire town. It's just said to make the point that you should be careful when receiving gifts from rivals because they may have an ulterior motive.

Sorry for dragging this thread off topic. Just needed to get that off my chest. :D

*Pat doesn't exist, I made her up.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    dulldave wrote:
    I can't see why people get worked up about using well known situations as metaphors. Nobody is saying that Armstrong is a tirant like Sadam. That would be ludicrous.

If you use a metaphor to make a point you're usually drawing from a story that is widely known. As a result the particular metaphor you choose is likely to be a lot more severe than the subject being discussed.

If I said "beware of Greeks bearing gifts" to my aunt because Pat* (her arch rival at the local lawn bowls club) had gifted her a cutting from her rose bush. She wouldn't harangue me for comparing an old lady to the raping and pillaging of an entire town. It's just said to make the point that you should be careful when receiving gifts from rivals because they may have an ulterior motive.

Sorry for dragging this thread off topic. Just needed to get that off my chest. :D

*Pat doesn't exist, I made her up.

Pat does exist, and she's on steroids. Your aunt is being cheated.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    I thought you meant your Uncle Pat
  • Bronzie
    Kléber wrote:
    It was just the concept of a big figure falling off a pedestal. :roll:
    Fine - you can do the "Whooooosh" parrot thing to me now
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I'm confused. Are people now claiming that Armstrong didn't gas the Kurds? He's never publically denied it. You need to stop being so naive.
    Twitter: @RichN95