How do you transport your mobile while biking?

realnumber 1
realnumber 1 Posts: 675
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Just got a new phone (HTC Desire as it happens) and am slightly worried about damaging the big screen while biking/falling off.
So as above how does everyone carry their iphones etc while mountain biking? Plus can anyone recommended a cheap relatively tough case to buy?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    in the Mule.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    In the Hydrapak backpack in a waterproof holder.
  • Normally in my pocket if it's dry, although I've dented 2 phones in crashes due to them being in a pocket on my hip, worst of all was my 2 week old Vivaz.

If it's wet, I normally carry it in a pocket inside my jacket.
    Don't like the idea of it being in a rucksack, I'd like to be able to get to it if I crash and can't move
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pocket or camelbak.
  • Red Route
    Red Route Posts: 59
    In it's case, In my Saddle bag, no probs!
  • Anonymous
    Red Route wrote:
    until your saddlebag falls off. It happens, a lot. And you won't know until you stop somewhere further down the trail and think "FUUUUGGGG"
  • realnumber 1
    So looks like I'm been more worried than others. Just that nice large screen looks so easy to break :?
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Camelbak wrapped in a sandwich bag so it doesnt get wet
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    I wrap it in my hoody and put in my backpack. If I'm wearing the hoody, it goes in the outside pocket of my Deuter Speedlite. If I'm gonna crash, I stand a much higher chance of landing on my side or front than flat on my back, so I think my iPhone will be ok.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    In the pockets on my baggy shorts, the side leg pockets, not the usual pockets. Fairly safe even if you fall off I think.
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    edited June 2010
    HTC hero - used to live in the thigh pocket of my oakley shorts but got bounced around in there and bruised my knee so now in the little padded .mp3 player pocket at the top of of my camelbak chaos - GPS tracking still seems to work fine when its in there and if i fall its likely to be up out of harms way so everythings good

case-wise i have tried 3 for my hero - an aircraft grade aluminium one (super tough but bulky) - a silicon one (light and thin but flimsy and traps dust) and a flexishield which is great (thin and light) and has already saved the phone from a few bounces of the ground - looks like flexishield do desire cases too - http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/advanced-fle ... p24772.htm (comes in other colours too)

slainte 8) rob
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Waterproof (ish) pocket on the top of my camelbak mule. Only the heaviest downpours have ever made the inside romotely wet. If you fall on that top part of your back - the soft water bladder under it should soften the blow but all all the parts f your back to land on - your more likely to hit your lower back harder than your top. I dont like putting in clothing pockets, i feel like it will fall out or i'll fall onto my hip and smash it and i dont like it bumping about in a breast pockety either..

Rambling over - wrapped up in the pack - best place..
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    These are quite good and you can get various attachments for them.
    http://www.krusellcases.com/uk/p_krusel ... x?i=199531
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • bentes
    bentes Posts: 286
    Red Route wrote:
    until your saddlebag falls off. It happens, a lot. And you won't know until you stop somewhere further down the trail and think "FUUUUGGGG"

Happened to my buddy a few weeks ago. The saddle bag zipper opened by itself and droped the phone on top of a looong and steep and rocky downhill singletrack. And he only missed it at the bottom! We had to make it all the way to the top again, slowly looking in every corner and me constantly phoning him so we could hear the thing. And it was getting dark.... So, no saddle bag, thank you!

I carry mine on an inner pocket on my camelback. I once fell and hit head/sholders/back first and and wen sliding on tarmac with my back until I hit the wall. (nasty fall at high speed) Thankfully my camelback / helmet took all the damage and I came out of it virtually unscratched. My phone was inside and came out perfectly well.

Soooo, backpack is the way to go! :)
  • realnumber 1
    antfly wrote:
    These are quite good and you can get various attachments for them.
    http://www.krusellcases.com/uk/p_krusel ... x?i=199531

That looks alright. Been thinking more of a solid plastic/metal case more like a camera case or something. Not bothered about needing to answer it quickly or anything.
    Would've thought that there would be something like it for the iphone (almost same size as desire) but not found anything yet.
  • Red Route
    Red Route Posts: 59
    OK, won't put it in my S Bag anymore now!

yooz lern somfink every day on here......
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I put my SE C902 in a Maxpedition holster on my belt, the phone is IP44 rated though, I would prefere something more shock resistant for freerunning though :roll:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Cheap pay as you go in the Camelbak.
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    Normally in my pocket if it's dry, although I've dented 2 phones in crashes due to them being in a pocket on my hip, worst of all was my 2 week old Vivaz.

If it's wet, I normally carry it in a pocket inside my jacket.
    Don't like the idea of it being in a rucksack, I'd like to be able to get to it if I crash and can't move

I love your optimism
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    GHill wrote:

+1 what the hell do you need a phone on a MTB for apart from phoning the emergency services or ordering a takeaway to be delivered to the campsite. Getting out on the bike is for getting away from the mobile dog leash every one seems to have these days.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Chronicbint
    Chronicbint Posts: 172
    stubs wrote:
    GHill wrote:

+1 what the hell do you need a phone on a MTB for apart from phoning the emergency services or ordering a takeaway to be delivered to the campsite. Getting out on the bike is for getting away from the mobile dog leash every one seems to have these days.

Because smartphones are mini bike computers. :D
  • Anonymous
    I use mine as a clock, mostly. I don't wear a watch, so, erm. Yeah.
    I also occasionally use the GPS tracker software to keep track of routes etc.
  • JustGoRide
    JustGoRide Posts: 37
    +1 for the cheap phone option.

I drop the sim out of my iPhone and into an old sony ericsson. I use my Edge 705 as a mini bike computer ;)
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I bought one of these.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-4006.aspx

comes network free, so any sim works. the battery lasts for about a week. It makes and recieves calls and texts. It also has a calculator.

its about the size of a credit card and not very thick either. Its plastic and doesn't weigh anything. I keep it in my pocket.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    I put it in the back pack. Put it in so that the screen faces inwards towards your back, which is usually softer and less pointy than things you might land on if you fall off.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    In my pocket until I get to the trail then switched off in the middle section of my camelback...
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • I use a padded drybag that sits in my Camelback.
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    Not sure how good it is but this could be worth a punt:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Garmin-Navtalk-GSM-phone-GPS-/370353996528?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item563ad182f0#ht_3121wt_1039

its probably a load of shoot but if it breaks its cheaper than the usual phone.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    stubs wrote:
    GHill wrote:

Because sometimes I get royally lost and need Google Maps to get my bearings. Also it's great for when you trash your bike and have to sit at the train station for 2 hours :P