Carbon Commute

2»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    jedster wrote:
    Surely if you want a blingy commuter titanium is the answer?

Obviously carbon is plenty strong enough to deal with the commute itself. Where I would be a little more cautious is locking it up. If somebody rams your steel/al/ti bike with their gas pipe BSO then the paint gets chipped. Do the same to a carbon frame and you could chip the fibres and cause a potenial failure point.

I used to use carbon ski poles which are supposed to be unbreakably strong. They are until you chip them. I snapped two poles an inch above the baskets where they'd picked up chips from ski edges. I've gone back to al.

If you can keep your bike away from disrespectful muppets then all that is moot.

J

I reckon it should be alright, but that's the kind of advice I'm looking for. It's on CycleScheme and I basically want to get the most for my £1k. Pretty sure that wouldn't stretch to Ti.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Greg66 wrote:
    AND your speed WILL improve, I promise you. Nothing like having the ol' neon bullseye of a carbon frame to say "catch me if you can!"

I've ridden the CCR-1 a few times and I can vouch for this. The fear of scalping takes on a whole new dimension if you're on your "fast" bike
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Agree : was riding my Roubaix Pro through the worst of the winter and it's been completely bullet proof.

I've had a Roubaix Elite built up to mimic the geometry of the Pro but with a less expensive groupset that I can hammer the crap out of on the daily commute but it's still carbon, still a great ride and still bullet proof!!

I agree with CiB there's no point in owning nice bikes and never riding the bl**dy things ....
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper