Carbon Commute

El Diego
El Diego Posts: 440
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I currently have a Ribble 7005 alu that I use for pretty much everything - commute, weekend rides and sportives. I am considering selling my Ribble and buying a bit of carbon bling. I only have room for one bike and thinking that carbon isn't best suited to the daily commute, but really really want one!

Does anyone else commute on a carbon framed bike? Is this a really bad idea?

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Why not keep the Ribble and buy something carbon? The rules state that you should increase the number of bikes you own at any given opportunity.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • asprilla
    edited June 2010
    Echo.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • El Diego
    I just need to convince Mrs Dean that it's ok for bikes to live in the house!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    There is no functional reason why a carbon bike couldn't be used for commuting.

There are a large number of practical reasons, cost often lending itself to many of these reasons.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    edited June 2010
    El Diego wrote:

Buy a shed.

Put the wife in the shed.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    Depends how you treat your commuter really. This might change of course once you've gone cloth'n'glue.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I rode my Focus to work and back for the best part of a year. A racey steed isn't necessarily the most comfortable on city streets but it goes like the clappers and is great fun. I had somewhere safe to store it, too, which helps.

The only disadvantage in practical terms is adding 3,000 miles of wear to more expensive components, basically.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I do it. I don't fancy not using my best bike for what amounts to the majority of my riding. What would I be saving it for? Some other form of riding that warrants a nice(r) bike? Nah. My commute is a 20 mile TT and the carbon bike (semi carbon really, BMC Racemaster SLX01) is the best tool that I have to do it on at the moment.

When it wears out I have an excuse to buy something even more stupid to get to work on. Whichever way you tot it up it's cheaper than buying a car every two years, if cost is a factor. Personally I don't give half a hoot - it's a hobby, hobbies cost money.

:)
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    El Diego wrote:

Spend enough on the carbon steed and the missus will agree to let you mount it on the wall as a piece of art. Problem solved.
  • robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    There is no functional reason why a carbon bike couldn't be used for commuting

But what if it rains? You'd be stranded :shock:
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    robz400 wrote:

But what if it rains? You'd be stranded :shock:

True. Also, lets not forget about the melting in direct sunlight.
  • El Diego
    Gussio wrote:
    El Diego wrote:

Spend enough on the carbon steed and the missus will agree to let you mount it on the wall as a piece of art. Problem solved.

I tried that one :D
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    amnezia wrote:
    robz400 wrote:

Not much chance of that. He lives in Manchester :twisted:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Paging Greg66, Greg66 to thread...
  • El Diego
    NWLondoner wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    robz400 wrote:

True unfortunately...I have rickets.
  • asprilla
    El Diego wrote:
    NWLondoner wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    robz400 wrote:

True unfortunately...I have rickets.

Perhaps a longer BB axel would be abetter investment then?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    *Chants* Carbon, Carbon, Carbon.

Use a full carbon everyday for the commute and the drop in weight does make up for my lack of ability in SCR. :)
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    biondino wrote:
    I rode my Focus to work and back for the best part of a year. A racey steed isn't necessarily the most comfortable on city streets but it goes like the clappers and is great fun. I had somewhere safe to store it, too, which helps.

The only disadvantage in practical terms is adding 3,000 miles of wear to more expensive components, basically.

+1. Once the weather starts to get better I grab the Spesh Tarmac and use it for everything pretty much right up until October. Agree also about the extra wear and tare on the good components. But hay ho!
  • Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    Buy a shed.

Put the wife in the shed.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yeah, that made me laugh too :D
    FCN = 4
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172

You called, my dear?

Any fuhl who rides a carbon bike to work and back is nothing more than a blinging flash-pants all the gear and no idea clown with comedy shoes and a big red nose.

Why, if ever I saw such a person, I'd take my D-lock an-

Oh, hold on a moment.

Carbon? To and from work?

Yeah. Well. I might have done that. A bit. From time to time.

It's all fine. Look at it this way. You spend a good part of your day on your bike. Maybe even the best part of your day. So why on earth would you want to spend that time on the cheapest, sh!tty frame you can lay your hands on? Give your @rse (and the rest of you) a treat. Ride carbon. It won't melt. It won't dissolve. And contrary to some myths, it won't shatter into a million pieces on impact, leaving you having to collect it with a dustpan and brush.

AND your speed WILL improve, I promise you. Nothing like having the ol' neon bullseye of a carbon frame to say "catch me if you can!"
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Greg66 wrote:

You called, my dear?

Any fuhl who rides a carbon bike to work and back is nothing more than a blinging flash-pants all the gear and no idea clown with comedy shoes and a big red nose.

Oh, hold on a moment.

It's all fine. Look at it this way. You spend a good part of your day on your bike. Maybe even the best part of your day. So why on earth would you want to spend that time on the cheapest, sh!tty frame you can lay your hands on? Give your @rse (and the rest of you) a treat. Ride carbon. It won't melt. It won't dissolve. And contrary to some myths, it won't shatter into a million pieces on impact, leaving you having to collect it with a dustpan and brush.

AND your speed WILL improve, I promise you. Nothing like having the ol' neon bullseye of a carbon frame to say "catch me if you can!"

I like the cut of this chap's jib. Well said Mr G.
  • paggnr
    paggnr Posts: 101
    I don't fancy not using my best bike for what amounts to the majority of my riding.

I agree. I commute 70km 3 times a week on my Cervelo S2. Why not have the best for the most of your milage - it all comes down to good maintenance
    Cheers
    Pagey
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I have been commuting on my ciocc for the last few weeks and intend to carry on doing so over summer. 60 miles a week.

Echoing what has been said above I cant justify buying a nice bike only to use it for a saturday morning ride every other weekend etc.

If it is tipping it down with rain then i leave the carbon at home but thats more to do with wanting to look after my wheels and oily bits rather than the frame! Mine is a sensible spec though (campag veloce) so if stuff does need replacing it doesnt cost an arm and a leg and i can use it as an excuse to upgrade.

I tend to ride a bit more carefully when on the nice bike - ie i have my pothole detector on ultra sensitive mode and am very very cautious on certain high risk bits of my commute as I defintiely do not want to be hit by a car while riding it.

In summary I would say go for it! There is nothing better than flying along holloway road at 30mph in carbon cushioned comfort! I bought my bike for riding so i ride it!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998

I'm guessing this advice still stands? So buying a Ribble Sportive for commuting 15 miles and occasionally using (on the roads obviously!) when the MTB trails have turned to a swamp isn't a silly thing to do?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    CiB wrote:
    I do it. I don't fancy not using my best bike for what amounts to the majority of my riding. What would I be saving it for? Some other form of riding that warrants a nice(r) bike? Nah. My commute is a 20 mile TT and the carbon bike (semi carbon really, BMC Racemaster SLX01) is the best tool that I have to do it on at the moment.

When it wears out I have an excuse to buy something even more stupid to get to work on. Whichever way you tot it up it's cheaper than buying a car every two years, if cost is a factor. Personally I don't give half a hoot - it's a hobby, hobbies cost money.

:)

Spot on CiB.

I've been commuting a year now on the CR-1 and had no problems with i,t and weighting in at 105kg it doesn't get as easy life! It's seriously quick and just makes me grin when I ride it so why would I leave it in the shed?
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Greg66 wrote:

You called, my dear?

Oh, hold on a moment.

You know, he's got a point.

And seeing as the 'gym' I've joined has a very obliging concierge who, I'm told, will hold clothes and day bag and do laundry for me, I may be able to ditch the panniers.......

And I can keep my bike in my office.

Interesting. Interesting. All my reasons for having a sh*tty fixie are being questioned. And I've just bought a new one.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    I do it. But only because my beloved Genesis got nicked :cry:.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bails87 wrote:

I'm guessing this advice still stands? So buying a Ribble Sportive for commuting 15 miles and occasionally using (on the roads obviously!) when the MTB trails have turned to a swamp isn't a silly thing to do?

Well? I don't want to buy something completely unsuitable :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Surely if you want a blingy commuter titanium is the answer?

Obviously carbon is plenty strong enough to deal with the commute itself. Where I would be a little more cautious is locking it up. If somebody rams your steel/al/ti bike with their gas pipe BSO then the paint gets chipped. Do the same to a carbon frame and you could chip the fibres and cause a potenial failure point.

I used to use carbon ski poles which are supposed to be unbreakably strong. They are until you chip them. I snapped two poles an inch above the baskets where they'd picked up chips from ski edges. I've gone back to al.

If you can keep your bike away from disrespectful muppets then all that is moot.

J