Whats your SS gear ratio

2»

Comments

• stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    33/16!!! That's like a cycle speedway gear :)
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    Aidy wrote:
    Skippy2309 wrote:
    50/14 or 50/15 depending on how I feel (got a 13t but I think that will be saved for a day when I know theres no lights or slow drivers lol)

That sounds less like a singlespeed, and more like a particularly inefficient gear change.

it was a bit of a sacrifice getting the 15t as it put me slightly lower in GI than on the 44/13... but it was needed as I kinda trashed my left leg so the drop was needed to get me going again. 91gi to 90gi is not that big a drop currently pushing 96.4 gear inches.

I am happy cruising at 80-90rpm in a sprint I can take it up stupidly high but can only keep it for a short amount of time 186rpm is where i start to shake and bottle it :P
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Skippy2309 wrote:
    .. currently pushing 96.4 gear inches.

I am happy cruising at 80-90rpm in a sprint I can take it up stupidly high but can only keep it for a short amount of time 186rpm is where i start to shake and bottle it :P

53mph?

Aye, right. I think you should bottle that. There's bound to be a market.

Cheers,
    W.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Skippy2309 wrote:
    .. currently pushing 96.4 gear inches.

53mph?

Aye, right. I think you should bottle that. There's bound to be a market.

Cheers,
    W.

:lol::lol::lol:

Skip should be going in for the olympics if he can pull 53mph out of the bag...
  • 48 x 18 for me mostly in London

48 x 16 was too much as I don't RLJ ......... :wink:

cheers

D

• jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    coz I am too lazy to visit sheldon brown, what GI are we talking about here?

I have a moderately hilly commute with a couple of steepish sections on it. Now if only I could think of a way of letting me have a different gear ratio for the different sections. I suppose the trouble is that I would need to derail the chain from the cog wheel to do this.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    jimmypippa wrote:
    coz I am too lazy to visit sheldon brown, what GI are we talking about here?

I have a moderately hilly commute with a couple of steepish sections on it. Now if only I could think of a way of letting me have a different gear ratio for the different sections. I suppose the trouble is that I would need to derail the chain from the cog wheel to do this.

Hub gear. If you prefer to ride fixed it's your only option for on-the-fly shifts (Sturmey Archer s3x, ratios of 100%, 75% and 62.5%).

:-)

Cheers,
    W.

PS If your commute were uphill-in/downhill-home, you could just get a dingle (Surly double sprocket), or a double chainset, and switch before setting out. Choice depends on how close you want the ratios to be, some commutes may be downhill-home, your mileage may vary etc...
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Canny Jock wrote:
    48/15 as well, seems perfect for flat London commuting. My bike is pretty light and don't have much trouble pulling away, and can easily handle mild hills too.

Headwinds utterly kick my @ss though

Yeah, Blackheath and London Bridge had me working hard this morning. But that's true on my geared bikes too :D
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    Riding 42/16 on one fixed and 48/16 on the other for a 10 mile commute through the countryside with some hills.
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    42x16 for hilly scotland with a few steep hills at 1:5 - struggle on those both ways!