Whats your SS gear ratio

birdy247
birdy247 Posts: 454
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Live in London and currently ride a 46 x 18 on my commuter.

I ride it fine, but I am getting pi$$ed off with the start/stop all the time, so thinking of going to 46 x 20. Anyone ride this?? Will I be spinning like a mad man?? I usually ride at around 95-100 when out on a proper road ride.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Well I ride 48x16 in London and my cadence is usually 85-90 on the road bike.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    50x18 for a mostly flat journey on canal path. A little slower than I'd like away from the lights and tough on windy days but otherwise ideal.
  • Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    50/14 or 50/15 depending on how I feel (got a 13t but I think that will be saved for a day when I know theres no lights or slow drivers lol)

just find what gearing is good for your commute, its easy to play around with. I started at 44/16 which I spun out on, so went to a 44/13 which I still managed to spin out on, so went bigger up front :twisted:
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    51/15 atm.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    The brochure for mine said 48/20, but I counted 19 on the rear cog and I can easily cruise over 20mph. I haven't got round to counting the front ring yet. I'm thinking of going for a slightly higher ratio but the cost of getting all the tools is putting me off (yes I know the LBS can do it but THAT'S NOT THE POINT DAMMIT!)
  • Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    screw driver and an allen key to the the chain ring off, Lock rings a pain but to remove the cog you can use your chain and your frame, using the wheel as leverage to get the cog off :wink:
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    I'm on a 44x15 with 26x1.5 tyres (73 inches).

average cruising speed ~20 mph. current max - 29 mph
  • birdy247
    Would 48 x 20 be silly spinning? I generally like to spin around 90-100 on the flat. I think a switch must turn off when I commute in London as i really dont like putting much effort in. My aim is to simply get from A - B and leave the hard and fast stuff for when im on my road bike
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    48x18 for me.

Thinking of going to a 16/14, but with all the traffic in London...
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    48*17 for me - thinking of going to 16. (700c wheels)
    <a>road</a>
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    48/15 fixed for me, just stepped up from 48/16
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    50x16
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    48/15 as well, seems perfect for flat London commuting. My bike is pretty light and don't have much trouble pulling away, and can easily handle mild hills too.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    48x18 fixed on my Pompino - nice up the hill on Wokingham Road, a bit spinny on the descent coming home though. Plenty of oomph on the flatlands of London Town mind.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    birdy247 wrote:
    Would 48 x 20 be silly spinning? I generally like to spin around 90-100 on the flat. I think a switch must turn off when I commute in London as i really dont like putting much effort in. My aim is to simply get from A - B and leave the hard and fast stuff for when im on my road bike

One tooth makes a pretty big difference (check out the eponymous recent thread), so try 48x19- this'll give you a useful gain in torque when pulling away, fit with your laid-back approach to city riding and still let you wind up to a decent pace before freewheeling (you said SS, not fixed, right?).
    Don't pay any attention to the poseurs claiming big gears- all they are really doing is admitting they have poor pedalling technique and spin-out at 110rpm :-) .

Cheers,
    W.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Canny Jock wrote:
    48/15 as well, seems perfect for flat London commuting. My bike is pretty light and don't have much trouble pulling away, and can easily handle mild hills too.

Headwinds utterly kick my @ss though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • birdy247
    trouble is, I cant find any 19t freewheels
  • TommyEss
    Or do you need a BMX freewheel to attach to a fixed hub?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Oops, missed the freewheel bit.

Note to self: read entire question
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    birdy247 wrote:
    trouble is, I cant find any 19t freewheels

I take it you're looking for something less spendy than a White ENO?

Fair point... but keep looking!

Cheers,
    W.
  • TommyEss
    If you need a vrai screw on SS freewheel, look at Shimano BMX ones... Parkers have them up to 18t
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    48/18, perfect for the stop-startiness of London and allows a decent cruising speed on slight inclines and on the flat.

Also, what Buns said about big gear/small c0ck ;)
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    biondino wrote:
    48/18, perfect for the stop-startiness of London and allows a decent cruising speed on slight inclines and on the flat.

:lol:

It must be true, I ride quite a big gear and I don't have one at all...
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    biondino wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

On that basis, I'm not sure whether I dare admit that I am considering moving up from the stock 42/16 ratio that came on my bike to something like 46/16 :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • TommyEss
    biondino wrote:

QED...

I only ride a big one on the track... :wink:
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Skippy2309 wrote:
    50/14 or 50/15 depending on how I feel (got a 13t but I think that will be saved for a day when I know theres no lights or slow drivers lol)

That sounds less like a singlespeed, and more like a particularly inefficient gear change.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    biondino wrote:

You don't want to know how many guys he measured to prove his hypothesis :shock:
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • 48*17 for me - thinking of going to 16. (700c wheels)

ditto
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    33/16 for me. But it's a bit more hilly than London, and you don't want to go too quickly when bimbling along the seafront, looking at the lovelies on the beach. 8)