CycleSurgery Women Only evening Weds 9th June 6-8pm

BikeRose
BikeRose Posts: 2
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone going to the women's evening at CycleSurgery in Victoria, Weds evening starting from 6pm?
Instore discount voucher, prizes, wine and nibbles, read more here

http://www.bikeenvy.co.uk/article.php?id=143

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I'll be there.

Character4.jpg
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    thanks, sent to the missus. shame their prices are high, otherwise would have sent her to buy me some stuff
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I'll be there.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Wish I'd seen this earlier. Otherwise engaged. Good idea though.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    thanks, sent to the missus. shame their prices are high, otherwise would have sent her to buy me some stuff

I agree that Cycle Surgery overprice, but I was in there yesterday and noticed a sign on the counter saying they will match any price. I didn't have time to check for smallprint, however.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    No.

Why would women need a 'ladies' night' to look at bike stuff?

I mean, do they also host men only nights?
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    No.

Why would women need a 'ladies' night' to look at bike stuff?

I mean, do they also host men only nights?

It's because all men are despicable lechers, dontcha know?

I mean, personally, I was imagining a ladies night there to be like a Ann Summers party...
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    LiT you know men rule in the cycling world and I would think this is an attempt to encourage (more) women to get into cycling.

Hope it works.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Cafewanda wrote:
    LiT you know men rule in the cycling world and I would think this is an attempt to encourage (more) women to get into cycling.

Hope it works.

Why do you think that is?

Not that more men are arsed to get out on their bikes is it?

I can't see how a women only night in a bike shop is going to make any difference other than being sexist.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Aidy
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

Hope it works.

Why do you think that is?

Not that more men are arsed to get out on their bikes is it?

I can't see how a women only night in a bike shop is going to make any difference other than being sexist.

I've always reckoned it was because, at the end of the day, the nature of cycling is a very individual activity. Even if you're riding with other people, it's effectively you, on the bike, beating that climb, by yourself.

Women, as a gender tend to be a bit more sociable, so I figure bikes appeal to men more.
  • Clever Pun
    well done an answer that didn't involve high heels, ironing or cooking :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    It's actually been organised by DDD in a desperate attempt to track down the mystery "Woman on a grey Trek Madone"
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I don't think theres anything wrong with this... They're a minority group within a larger constituency which is mostly male. If cyclesurgery manage to encourage more women to commute by bike, and promote their own shops in doing so, more power to them.

Its not sexist at all. They're just trying to increase business from a particular customer group. No different to being sent % off vouchers by Ocado or Wiggle because you haven't bought from them in a while. Bit of a gimmick, but not sexist. :)
  • Clever Pun
    notsoblue wrote:

Its not sexist at all. They're just trying to increase business from a particular customer group. No different to being sent % off vouchers by Ocado or Wiggle because you haven't bought from them in a while. Bit of a gimmick, but not sexist. :)

so if I said "whites only evening at X shop" that wouldn't be racist?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    notsoblue wrote:

Its the definition of sexist - i.e discriminating by sex
  • notsoblue
    amnezia wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Its the definition of sexist - i.e discriminating by sex
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Sexism, a term coined in the mid-20th century,[1] is the belief or attitude that one gender or sex is inferior to, less competent, or less valuable than the other.

Do you feel that by hosting a ladies night Cyclesurgery are somehow trying to promote the idea that men are inferior to, less competant, or less valuable than women? Because if you do, then theres really nothing I can say in response to that. :)
  • Aidy
    I must admit, it's always intrigued me a bit when feminist types insist that they only want equal treatment, and then go and organise things which are women-only.
  • notsoblue
    Clever Pun wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

You aren't actually comparing Ladies' night at Cyclesurgery with racial segregation are you? Did that really just happen? :P
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    notsoblue wrote:
    I don't think theres anything wrong with this... They're a minority group within a larger constituency which is mostly male. If cyclesurgery manage to encourage more women to commute by bike, and promote their own shops in doing so, more power to them.

I agree with your sentiments but not your example. It would be more like being sent % off vouchers by Ocado or Wiggle that can be used only by women!
  • Clever Pun
    notsoblue wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

You aren't actually comparing Ladies' night at Cyclesurgery with racial segregation are you? Did that really just happen? :P

it's an analogy.. getting my point across.. It's an exclusive event in that it's not inclusive to everyone

The way to get round this kind of thing is to say somewhere men are also allowed.

For example my old company had women/gay/etc focused events but everyone was welcome
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • More women on bikes, good or bad?

If your answer is 'good' then encouraging more women and girls has to be positive.

On a discrimination scale of 1 - 10, I'd rate this at about 0.01. My LBS discriminates against me because I am poor. And they shut at night, thereby discriminating against nocturnal cyclists. 99.99% of the rest of the time the shop's open to both sexes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    Look on the bright side lads, even if we are being discriminated against we can always hang around outside and check out the lycra-clad talent entering and leaving the shop :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • notsoblue
    kelsen wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

I agree with your sentiments but not your example. It would be more like being sent % off vouchers by Ocado or Wiggle that can be used only by women!

I think the point I was trying to (rather poorly) make was that they're just trying to encourage sales within a particular, unrepresented subgroup of cyclists. It seems pretty churlish to take offence at this.

Not quite equivalent, but it reminds me of a Stuart Lee rant that he ends by paraphrasing; "You know who the most oppressed minority are in britain today? White middleclass males"
  • notsoblue
    Clever Pun wrote:
    it's an analogy.. getting my point across.. It's an exclusive event in that it's not inclusive to everyone

The way to get round this kind of thing is to say somewhere men are also allowed.

For example my old company had women/gay/etc focused events but everyone was welcome

I understand what you're saying, but personally I just don't think its worth getting indignant over. Its not that important. As deptfordmarmoset says, this really does rank incredibly low on the discrimination scale. :)
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    notsoblue wrote:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    "]Sexism, a term coined in the mid-20th century,[1] is the belief or attitude that one gender or sex is inferior to, less competent, or less valuable than the other.

Dictionary wrote:

Sexism - Discrimination based on gender

Btw - I don't think anyone is particularly offended, we just like arguing about stuff.
  • thanks, sent to the missus. shame their prices are high, otherwise would have sent her to buy me some stuff

I agree that Cycle Surgery overprice, but I was in there yesterday and noticed a sign on the counter saying they will match any price. I didn't have time to check for smallprint, however.
    Small print (from here):
    PRICE MATCH POLICY
    We aim to offer competitive prices, however if you find products cheaper elsewhere with in the UK we will match the price. The conditions of our Price Match Policy are as follows:
    . If the goods we sell are cheaper elsewhere within the UK at the time of purchase, we will match that price at Cyclesurgery in-store or by Mailorder.
    . The same goods must be in stock at this vendor at the point of purchase for the price match to be valid. Just tell us where you have found the goods cheaper and we will do the rest. We do not match prices after the sale has been completed.
    Price match cannot be used when using 0% finance, Cycle Scheme, Tax Free Cycle or in conjunction with any other promotional offer.
    Sale Bikes due to transaction charges we only sell sale bikes at their original RRP when customers use Cycle scheme vouchers as a means of payment.
    On the subsequent discussion, from my own recent experience:

My wife took me along to four bike shops while looking for a new bike. In three of them the salesman (male in all 4 situations) directed the conversation at me, initially, even after my wife had said that the bike was for her! She just wanted my opinions on the bikes and sizing afterwards and for me to listen and watch she wasn't getting misled (she recognises she tends not to analyse the downsides when making a purchase she is keen on - me too, I have to admit). Each time I had to redirect the questions and conversation to her and in one instance (in Ruislip) I had to walk off and look at accessories to prevent it.

Such an evening might address such issues.

Needless to say, she didn't buy from these shops :roll:
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    amnezia wrote:
    Btw - I don't think anyone is particularly offended, we just like arguing about stuff.

+1 Why have a soapbox if you don't stand on it!

Cyclesurgery and Evans both do instore price match on internet prices if you bring along proof.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    kelsen wrote:
    Cyclesurgery and Evans both do instore price match on internet prices if you bring along proof.

Yep...used it quite a bit recently, as I've got them both very near me at work and it saves the hassle of waiting for a package to arrive.

All you need is proof they go and check it's not been doctored, online usually (I take a print-out of the webpage most of the time but reckon you needn't bother), before deducting the difference.

Simples...and much easier to return if there's a problem with it!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    probably is a little bit of positive discrimination in order to build a growing market.

blokes dont need to be plied with wine, nibbles and discount vouchers to buy bikes and bike stuff.
    neither do a lot of women...but I would bet that these women are well into their cycling.

Of course it always helps a bit...but we don't really need the encouragement.

The group that must interest the shop the most is those women who want to start cycling, but feel it is a male oriented world, where they will not be treated as equal and feel nervous about going into a bike shop, which as has been pointed out...are staffed by men, full of mostly men and may have bad experience of the last time they were in a bike shop.

Of course these women also pander themselves to the discriminatory sterotype...by configuring the field for themselves. If you are equal....act like it.

maybe LIT should run a womens only class of MTFU :wink:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Clever Pun
    notsoblue wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but personally I just don't think its worth getting indignant over. Its not that important. As deptfordmarmoset says, this really does rank incredibly low on the discrimination scale. :)

I really don't care about it as an issue, more women cycling is great although I'm not really sure how this will help.

It's more the flipside of the coin when certain members of the community get all indignant about equality but are happy to accept their extra little pieces of the pie.. (you know the cleverer ones :wink:

This is aimed at no one here of course
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5