Who is the most over rated pro cyclist?

2»

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Samuel Sanchez - over-rated? His palmares are certainly more impressive that Andy Schleck for example..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_S%C3%A1nchez#Major_Results
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Samuel Sanchez - over-rated? His palmares are certainly more impressive that Andy Schleck for example..

I wouldn't say his decending is over-rated
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Samuel Sanchez - over-rated?

I agree, how can anyone who has won an Olympic Gold Medal be overated?

If he doesn't win another race in his career he can retire with a grin on his face knowing he's achieved more than the majority of Pro cyclists IMHO.
  • JAGGY
    JAGGY Posts: 167
    For me its Sastre. I lost count of how many times the commentators of this years Giro bigged him up for the stage and then he was dropped on the first section of climbs.

How can Wiggins be overated? He's only just getting competitive in stage racing. Come back in 5 years for an opioion on that one!
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Monty Dog wrote:

Yeah, overrated may be the wrong word with Sammy -- but there are a lot of 2nd, 3rd, and 4ths on that list. I'm always pulling for him to win.

In cycling, how does an Olympic title compare to the Worlds?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's very subjective. The cycling-specific media have an interest in identifying the "next big thing" and if any English-speaking rider gets on a podium, it is only a short step towards hype. Riders have to be careful not to fuel the journalists with daft quotes or admit too much ambition!
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    rjh299 wrote:
    As for Lance being overrated...

Surely post-retirement Lance is a little overhyped?

Don't get me wrong, he's doing better than any other 37 (38?) year old - even Zoetemelk - but an 8th Tour on the cards? It's a little ambitious.

He does generate massive/too much hype. Sometimes his fault, sometimes not.
    An 8th Tour is a massive ask but he managed 3rd in his first year back with a team not built entirely around him. Still can't see anyone catching Contador bar crashes.
    Really looking forward to this years TDF, should be epic

I'm not sure Jens Voigt would agree with you there - he is still peforming at a very high level.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    RichN95 wrote:
    None of that lot listed are overrated.

Tom Danielson, Andre Greipel and Sylvain Chavanel on the other hand....

Totally agree with these 3.

Wiigins has a 4th in the TDF on his palmares so cannot be overrated.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Bakunin wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

Yeah, overrated may be the wrong word with Sammy -- but there are a lot of 2nd, 3rd, and 4ths on that list. I'm always pulling for him to win.

In cycling, how does an Olympic title compare to the Worlds?

Sanchez? Samuel Sanchez?!
    Sanchez the Olympic RR champion?
    The multiple GT stage winner?
    The multiple top 10 GC GT rider?!
    Over-rated? Do me a favour - he's a fantastic rider, with performances to match.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    This is an odd question, as it depends so much on the national context. Wiggins can only be considered overrated from a British perspective, while Devolder is perhaps overrated in the Belgian media. Even Tom Danielson is really only hyped in the English-language press.

It's very hard to point at a rider who is 'overrated' across the board, internationally - LA post-come back probably.

Some silly choices here - Sammy Sanchez is if anything probable less rated than his palmares and talent suggests. And yes, Pozzato get's lots of media attention, but he has an impressive palmares to back it up and I don't think his performance rating is off the mark.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I think you'll find cycling and hype doesn't go together so well. It's a humble and brutal sport where you are quickly found out if you can't cope with the pace or the gradient. Even a domestique is only a few watts away from a win.
  • Lillywhite
    FJS wrote:
    Wiggins can only be considered overrated from a British perspective.....
    Overrated? Multi Gold medallist at the Olympic Games/World Championships level and superb performance on the road at last year's TDF. Bradley has a lot to be proud of. :wink:
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Lillywhite wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Wiggins can only be considered overrated from a British perspective.....
    Overrated? Multi Gold medallist at the Olympic Games/World Championships level and superb performance on the road at last year's TDF. Bradley has a lot to be proud of. :wink:

:roll: some people just don't read. My point was about national context and 'overrating', and how it depends on which media you are exposed to. It wasn't about Wiggins being overrated at all. His season hasn't even started yet.
  • Lillywhite
    FJS wrote:

:roll: some people just don't read. My point was about national context and 'overrating', and how it depends on which media you are exposed to. It wasn't about Wiggins being overrated at all. His season hasn't even started yet.

I did read your post and I wasn't disagreeing with you. You see that I made an similar earlIer post referring to the only place that overating occurs is in the media! :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,229
    Lillywhite wrote:
    FJS wrote:

I did read your post and I wasn't disagreeing with you. You see that I made an similar earlIer post referring to the only place that overating occurs is in the media! :wink:

I'm a big Wiggins fan but unless he produces in the Tour (which looks tough) then his reported salary is possibly a sign of overrating so it doesn't just occur in the media (unless he does finish top 3 in the Tour of course in which case he isn't overrated at all by anyone :wink: ).

The riders who get hyped through no fault of their own are the sons of previous greats such as Axel Merckx. People expected big things from him purely on the basis of his surname.
  • Deegs
    Deegs Posts: 74
    Kléber wrote:
    Even a domestique is only a few watts away from a win.

Remember Dirk Demol in the Paris-Roubaix?

Totally agree with the comment about sons of the father. Not sure they get overhyped as such, its just the expectation...