Who is the most over rated pro cyclist?

warrior4life
warrior4life Posts: 925
edited June 2010 in Pro race
Just read this on another forum and wiggins was highest!!!! No way!

These are the results so far, I'd say Kloden out of this lot

Armstrong 40 27.59%
Contador 6 4.14%
A. Schleck 5 3.45%
Wiggans 72 49.66%
Evans 10 6.90%
Basso 3 2.07%
Sastre 17 11.72%
Kloden 13 8.97%
Menchov 4 2.76%
Other

Comments

• StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    I would agree with that, although I wouldn't have put Wiggins sooo far ahead :P
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Over rated: Wiggins.

Over hyped: Team Sky.

Over paid: Lance.

Under rated: Roger Hammond.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Wot no Tommy D?

Strava is not Zen.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    None of that lot listed are overrated.

Tom Danielson, Andre Greipel and Sylvain Chavanel on the other hand....
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Ekimo. Hincapie. Virenque almost as bad.

Under rated- Ullrich...never shown the respect he deserves.......all the doping schect people post about him for example
  • Deegs
    Deegs Posts: 74
    for my money:

Richard Virenque, every time. :evil:
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Pozzato. I wish I could earn as much as he has on one win and "potential".
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Dave_1 wrote:

Under rated- Ullrich...never shown the respect he deserves.......all the doping schect people post about him for example

During Lance's wins he was usually tipped as a big challenger and i lost count of the amount of times Leggitt and Sherwen called him the most naturally talented cyclist in the peloton. I woulndn't describe him as underrated, more like underachiever or overrated. I've nothing against Jan, use to love watching him grind those insane gears up hill.

Also, how can Lance be in this list? Obviously people's dislike of him, fair enough their opinion, but never is he overrated

Don't know if Virenque is the most overrated but definitely the one i'd most like to punch
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    rjh299 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Also, how can Lance be in this list? Obviously people's dislike of him, fair enough their opinion, but never is he overrated

+1

To call a 7 time TDF winner overrated is laughable.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Tom "Big F***ing deal i was the fastest up Mt Washington" Danielson - DONT believe the hype....Is he ever going to win anything ??? and he always talks a good game in the mags but never does much.....Overhyped,Overpriced & Overhere :D
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Interesting to see 9 of the top riders in the world being voted as over-rated. Absolutely mental!

Pozzatto
    Hincapie
    Danielson
    Chavanel
    Breschel (ish)
    Perreiro
    Leipheimer
    Steegmans

Are all pretty over-rated at times. Always seems to me that people say they're 'in with a chance today' and they end up coming no-where.

Vande Velde and Menchov would probably be more impressive if they stopped falling off!
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Interesting to see 9 of the top riders in the world being voted as over-rated. Absolutely mental!

Pozzatto
    Hincapie
    Danielson
    Chavanel
    Breschel (ish)
    Perreiro
    Leipheimer
    Steegmans

Are all pretty over-rated at times. Always seems to me that people say they're 'in with a chance today' and they end up coming no-where.

Not sure about Hincapie but the rest yes

Vande Velde and Menchov would probably be more impressive if they stopped falling off!
  • EKIMIKE
    I see what you mean with Hincapie. Got nothing against him. I'm sure he's a great man to have on your team.

In all fairness, he's never been the one to build himself up.
  • dave_1
    rjh299 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

During Lance's wins he was usually tipped as a big challenger and i lost count of the amount of times Leggitt and Sherwen called him the most naturally talented cyclist in the peloton. I woulndn't describe him as underrated, more like underachiever or overrated. I've nothing against Jan, use to love watching him grind those insane gears up hill.

Don't know if Virenque is the most overrated but definitely the one i'd most like to punch

Mercx won cause he was good, Indurain same, Armstrong same...
  • dave_1
    Moray Gub wrote:
    rjh299 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

+1

To call a 7 time TDF winner overrated is laughable.

+1
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    EKIMIKE wrote:

Pozzatto
    Hincapie
    Danielson
    Chavanel
    Breschel (ish)
    Perreiro
    Leipheimer
    Steegmans

The poll came from the Cycling News website and there's a lot of idiots full of bile over there..

I'd agree with most of you picks, but I'd argue that Pereiro is actually underrated. He's generally seen as the rider who fluked a Tour win and that much is true. However, people tend to forget that he was in the top ten at the Tour for four years in a row (including his win) and there aren't many who can say that. And in none of those four Tours did he start as team leader.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Surprised no-one mentioned Devolder.

I think he's ace but around the voorjaar pundits always pop up and say he's not that good, and only won Flanders twice because he had Boonen on his team.
  • EKIMIKE
    Well i have only been watching cycling since 2006-ish so my perceptions are probably a bit off.

I always find it really interesting to hear what the pro's think of their counterparts. Kim Kirchen sticks in my mind for being known as Grim Kim.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    As for Lance being overrated...

Surely post-retirement Lance is a little overhyped?

Don't get me wrong, he's doing better than any other 37 (38?) year old - even Zoetemelk - but an 8th Tour on the cards? It's a little ambitious.
  • EKIMIKE
    For me it's a case of 'sod off, there's better riders than you now'. Let them have their glory. And 'you're not the only person who cares about cancer'.
  • rjh299
    As for Lance being overrated...

Surely post-retirement Lance is a little overhyped?

Don't get me wrong, he's doing better than any other 37 (38?) year old - even Zoetemelk - but an 8th Tour on the cards? It's a little ambitious.

He does generate massive/too much hype. Sometimes his fault, sometimes not.
    An 8th Tour is a massive ask but he managed 3rd in his first year back with a team not built entirely around him. Still can't see anyone catching Contador bar crashes.
    Really looking forward to this years TDF, should be epic
  • rjh299
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    For me it's a case of 'sod off, there's better riders than you now'. Let them have their glory. And 'you're not the only person who cares about cancer'.

Only 2 by last years result
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I think Wiggins is a little overrated. But then he is British and did finish 4th in a strong (if a little strange) TdF, so natural enough to have extra hype.

The rest of the list are the best riders around (only a few top riders missing).

For me it's Hincapie. Good rider, but every year he's tipped to win something big (even the TdF FFS),
    but never seems to get close. Snapping his steerer half way through Roubaix is about the
    closest he got?

Will probably be made regret this, but not sure Gesink is all that. There's quite a few other young
    riders around who I think will do better.
    exercise.png
  • EKIMIKE
    If you only watch the Tour De France.....

I can think of a fair few who are climbing better than Armstrong right now:

Contador
    Basso
    Evans
    A Schleck

He'll probs be in with the same bunch as Vino, Nibs, Kreuziger, Menchov, Gesink, F Schleck, Samu Sanchez this July. And I can see a few of those getting the jump on him.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Hincapie, Wiggins, and Pozzato -- are largely hype

But I thought that Sammy Sanchez. would have more big wins.
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Tom "Big F***ing deal i was the fastest up Mt Washington" Danielson - DONT believe the hype....Is he ever going to win anything ??? and he always talks a good game in the mags but never does much.....Overhyped,Overpriced & Overhere :D

+1... Uncanny knack at failing expectation.
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    For me it's definitely Sammy Sanchez. I have no idea what he's ever won apart from the Olympic RR.
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    Surely the question of 'over rating' starts and finishes with media hype?

One minute a rider, particularly a Frenchman who their fellow countrymen are yearning for success, is the best thing since sliced bread and then a few years later they say/write 'he's not so good as we thought he was'. :shock:

I don't think the general public over/under rate anyone. :wink:
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    Virenque.............little F***Pig

and Zulle
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • rjh299
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    If you only watch the Tour De France.....

I can think of a fair few who are climbing better than Armstrong right now:

Contador
    Basso
    Evans
    A Schleck

He'll probs be in with the same bunch as Vino, Nibs, Kreuziger, Menchov, Gesink, F Schleck, Samu Sanchez this July. And I can see a few of those getting the jump on him.

They may well be climbing better than him, but it's not all uphill and it's not July yet. I expect Nibali to be higher than Basso and for Evans to get dropped majorly on at least one stage.
    Contador and Schlecks will set the pace on the mountains again, but as last year, Lance won't miss any moves until the pace really picks up uphill.