Shooters Hill vs Ditchling Beacon

2»

Comments

• mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Iv done it on a 48x18 single speed at the end of a 50 miler - it was a struggle on some of the hairpins but i made it up ok. It's definitely harder than Box Hill which i think is actuallyt a pretty easy climb?!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    PostieJohn wrote:
    Now Bob, you are being a little silly there aren't you.

Cob Lane (I've trying to remember that name for days), easier than DB, I think not, you freak!.
    As for The Wall, I thought that was another minor hill with way to big a reputation.

John - I grew up in Ardingly (the village at the top of Cob Lane) and lived there for 20 years, so I've ridden it a fair few times.

I honestly find Cob Lane easier than DB. I know it's much steeper, but I can cope with an unchanging gradient much more easily than a changing one like DB. On DB my legs relax on the flatter bits and refuse to go again on the next ramp. I'm sure that this is not the case for everyone, but it's definitely the case for me.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    From what I hear about L2B you'll be walking up Ditchling Beacon anyway. As previously mentioned L2B is mostly done by non-cyclists on BSOs who get off at the slightest hint of a hill and walk, and they mostly spread themselves right across the road so even if you are able to cycle up, you have to walk with the masses anyway.

DOn't bother training just remeber to take a pair of trainers unless you want to be walking up Ditchling Beacon in clipless shoes...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    Shooters Hill? Is that even a hill? :? :lol: I lived at Swanley and spent many a time over at Bexleyheath, Greenwich and Plumstead and in all that time never thought it was that steep...

Only kidding, but if you really want some decent hill climbing training, then i can recommend some, i have some lovely hills on my regular training circuit, i now live just past West Kingsdown.

1. As mentioned, Wrotham Hill, very smooth road surface, which is nice, but overall not that challenging or difficult, unfortunately though quite a few deaths on that hill recently including cyclists, so I personally wouldn't recommend....

2. Vigo Hil/Trottiscliffe - Very Challenging and difficult

3. Wrotham Water Lane - a nice short climb with a major kick at the top - the best bit about this climb is the beauty of the surrounding countryside

4. Birling Hill - Snodland/Birling - very steep probably a little steeper than Vigo Hill!!!

5. Row Dow - near Otford station, will take you up and down into Knatts Valley, and then another nice climb up Tinker Pot Lane into West Kingsdown.

The above is definetely worth a ride, some lovely scenery to take in on the way. :)
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    Im doing the L2B too, ive managed to get my miles upto 54 which include some steady hills along the way but I have to say all this talk of the hill is worrying me. So we need to change tact as most of my worries about hills are in my head . Keep positive ...........

But seriously the worst bit has to be the walkers im ok head down and arse in the saddle in a straight line but when slightly chubby bloke dressed as wee willy winky on a borrowed mountain bike causes me to stop I wont be happy
  • mosfet
    mosfet Posts: 26
    sherer wrote:
    mosfet wrote:
    You've got a feast of good climbs available to you around Westerham. The two most difficult are Chalk Pit Lane and Succomb's Hill. Some nice long, challenging climbs are Titsey Hill, Station Road (Woldingham) and Toy's Hill through Brasted Chart.

I'm concentrating on my hill climbing and live nearby, would be happy to join you on some lumpy rides.

Has anyone ever got up Succomb's Hill ? The sign at the bottom says it is 25% !

I've never attempted it, not even in a car. The police tend to close it off whenever there's even a hint of ice.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Soni wrote:
    Shooters Hill? Is that even a hill? :? :lol: I lived at Swanley and spent many a time over at Bexleyheath, Greenwich and Plumstead and in all that time never thought it was that steep...

Only kidding, but if you really want some decent hill climbing training, then i can recommend some, i have some lovely hills on my regular training circuit, i now live just past West Kingsdown.

1. As mentioned, Wrotham Hill, very smooth road surface, which is nice, but overall not that challenging or difficult, unfortunately though quite a few deaths on that hill recently including cyclists, so I personally wouldn't recommend....

3. Wrotham Water Lane - a nice short climb with a major kick at the top - the best bit about this climb is the beauty of the surrounding countryside

4. Birling Hill - Snodland/Birling - very steep probably a little steeper than Vigo Hill!!!

5. Row Dow - near Otford station, will take you up and down into Knatts Valley, and then another nice climb up Tinker Pot Lane into West Kingsdown.

The above is definetely worth a ride, some lovely scenery to take in on the way. :)

some of these climbs sound near to be and I often ride out to Knatt's Valley and past Brands Hatch. You don't have any GPS links to these routes do you ?
  • Tomatpots
    Tomatpots Posts: 11
    Soni wrote:

Im doing the L2B for the first time this year and live 5 mins from Birling Hill. All of my training rides now begin with a climb up this hill and I have completed all the others with the exception of Wrotham Hill as I am not to keen on main roads.

The scenery around this area is breathtaking and I have discovered places on my doorstep that I never even knew existed. This weekend I stopped off to watch a few overs of local cricket at Meopham village green with a windmill as a backdrop :D

Back on topic, my aim is to get up Ditchling Beacon. How does this hill compare to Birling Hill?
  • Soni
    sherer wrote:
    Soni wrote:

some of these climbs sound near to be and I often ride out to Knatt's Valley and past Brands Hatch. You don't have any GPS links to these routes do you ?

Hi mate, don't have GPS unfortunately, but i can plot you the routes tomorrow and post up a link if required?
  • Soni
    Tomatpots wrote:
    Soni wrote:

Im doing the L2B for the first time this year and live 5 mins from Birling Hill. All of my training rides now begin with a climb up this hill and I have completed all the others with the exception of Wrotham Hill as I am not to keen on main roads.

The scenery around this area is breathtaking and I have discovered places on my doorstep that I never even knew existed. This weekend I stopped off to watch a few overs of local cricket at Meopham village green with a windmill as a backdrop :D

Very interesting, i'm only 5 minutes from Birling Hill too mate......just need to ride up Paddlesworth Road and i'm there....where are you? At the top or bottom of Birling Hill?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    thanks mate. Maybe just PM me with a few pointers to where these hills are. I've not exploted Knatt Valley much, I usually just go along the flat road at the bottom and then turn back after awhile as it is a bit of a way out but am looking to up my distances.
  • Tomatpots
    Tomatpots Posts: 11
    Soni wrote:
    Tomatpots wrote:
    Soni wrote:

Very interesting, i'm only 5 minutes from Birling Hill too mate......just need to ride up Paddlesworth Road and i'm there....where are you? At the top or bottom of Birling Hill?

What a small world. I too just ride up Paddlesworth for my 10 mins of Hell.
    I live on the estate at the bottom of Paddlesworth and currently ride a Black Ridgeback for my commute into Maidstone and rides up the Hill. The bug has bit though so I intend to upgrade to a road bike very soon.
  • Headhuunter
    gwillis wrote:
    Im doing the L2B too, ive managed to get my miles upto 54 which include some steady hills along the way but I have to say all this talk of the hill is worrying me. So we need to change tact as most of my worries about hills are in my head . Keep positive ...........

But seriously the worst bit has to be the walkers im ok head down and ars* in the saddle in a straight line but when slightly chubby bloke dressed as wee willy winky on a borrowed mountain bike causes me to stop I wont be happy

I think you'd better get used to it! If you leave with the masses, it's not just Ditchling you'll be walking but any slight inclince. Seriously, L2B is a very low level ride, more about the day out and having a laugh than the time and serious hill climb effort. The only way to avoid the walkers I've heard is to leave very, very early, like as soon as open the start line...
  • Soni
    Tomatpots wrote:
    Soni wrote:
    Tomatpots wrote:
    Soni wrote:

What a small world. I too just ride up Paddlesworth for my 10 mins of Hell.
    I live on the estate at the bottom of Paddlesworth and currently ride a Black Ridgeback for my commute into Maidstone and rides up the Hill. The bug has bit though so I intend to upgrade to a road bike very soon.

I'm also on that estate mate opposite Community Centre!

I think i may have seen you, have you got a lad who sometimes rides with you?

I normally go out for 17 mile rides in the mornings before work between 530-6, i alternate between the road bike and the MTB, if you fancy it one morning then let me know, i stick to the traffic-free lanes and take in some lovely views on the way! :)
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    How does Ditchling Beacon compare to Box hill?
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Quite a bit harder.
  • Headhuunter
    Gabbo wrote:
    How does Ditchling Beacon compare to Box hill?
    Box hill isn't anywhere near the worst hill in SE England or anything, it's just a steady zig zag climb. ditchling is much tougher
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Box hill is very easy, Ditchling from memory is quite a bit harder. But still isn't difficult really as long as you have the right gearing.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I heard Box hill was easy compared to Ditchling, never knew that before I spoke with someone couple of weeks ago tbh. Ditchling isn't hard as a climb, what is hard is if you did it as part of LtoB ride, cos most of the riders in front have got off their bikes and are walking up, due to the sheer number of people in the way in the front!
  • Mystique
    Mystique Posts: 342
    Having done both in the last couple of months, I found Ditchlng to be the more challenging of the two, but both are perfectly manageable for the average "sportive class" rider
  • Had to look up shooters hill as I often hear it mentioned by you City types.

Am I right in thinking this is it?

http://app.strava.com/segments/766692

If so, I'm with Soni! Really? Less than a mile, at 4.9% ave grade. Max. of about 10%.

That's not a hill, it's barely a speed bump. Flippin' shandy drinking southerners.

;)
  • I don't know Shooters Hill but an old fart like me got up DB with a bit of a huff and a puff but without any damage or ill effects. It is steep in parts but not particularly long. By the time I got to the top I was ready to carry on. The same can't be said for some of the hills I have climbed in Italy (15% gradients which go on for up to 10 kms). Climbing DB is a question of mind over matter, just like any other challenge.
  • Just to add to the comments about Box/Leith/Ditchling comparisons...

Have done all three this year (Ditchling on L2B, Box/Leith on Ride London). Box Hill was an absolute joy to climb, easy gradient, roads smoother than a snooker table and the most gorgeous views.

Ditchling hurt like absolute hell and I had to stop to catch my breath twice. Somehow (despite stopping on the steep bits) managed to get going again and nearly puked at the top.

Leith Hill, in my opinion, is harder than Ditchling. Felt longer, tighter roads (although not as many walkers as Ditchling on L2B), hotter and felt like it ramped up more. I managed to climb it without stopping, unlike Ditchling, but despite that I still rate Leith as harder than Ditchling.