11 Giovanni Visconti (Ita) ISD - Neri 0:00:13.810
12 Kevin Ista (Bel) Cofidis, Le Credit en Ligne 0:00:13.500
13 Juan Antonio Flecha (Spa) Sky Professionel Cycling Team 0:00:14.710
14 Gorka Izaguirre (Spa) Euskatel - Euskadi 0:00:14.120
15 Sandy Casar (Fra) Francaise des Jeux 0:00:14.170

020610ispa_0047_220.jpg
Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEB9pRhDyaQ

Today's 180km stage ended in a sprint win for Visconti, showing once again that it was a big mistake to leave them out of the Giro:
1 Giovanni Visconti (Ita) ISD - Neri 4:29:55
2 Yauheni Hutarovich (Blr) Francaise des Jeux
3 Borut Bozic (Slo) Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team

030610ispa_0073_600.jpg

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/user/worldcyclin ... _MsWqfVSoA

2009 winner was Frank Schleck. 3 more stages to go.

Official site with startlist:
http://www.aotdl.com/
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    What is Visconti doing in that picture?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Looks like the beginning of an Ali G-type celebration
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • andylav
    andylav Posts: 308
    Today's 180km stage ended in a sprint win for Visconti, showing once again that it was a big mistake to leave them out of the Giro

On what basis? Who did he scalp on that one stage that would make you believe that he had the beating of anyone that was up there in the Giro sprint stages ?

Apples and oranges
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Visconti is a good rider but RCS had to draw the line somewhere. If Visconti is ambitious, he'd sign for a team that allows him to race bigger events.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    andylav wrote:
    Today's 180km stage ended in a sprint win for Visconti, showing once again that it was a big mistake to leave them out of the Giro

On what basis? Who did he scalp on that one stage that would make you believe that he had the beating of anyone that was up there in the Giro sprint stages ?

Apples and oranges

Firstly, Visconti is an exciting, attacking Italian rider.

Secondly, although Visconti has a very good sprint, he is more of a breakaway type rider. Ie/. you read my point wrong - I don't think he should be racing simply because he won this sprint.

Thirdly, ISD also have Rujano which who could have provided some excting viewing.

Fourthly, Footon were selected over ISD and they did nothing.

Fifthly, Visconti is a former wearer of the Maglia Rosa.

In short, in my opinion, ISD should have raced.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I'm struggling to think of any of that Giro that needed enlivening. But you're entitled to your opinion.

I think the wildcard teams that were invited did themselves proud.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862

I agree, and we all knew it was going to go that way before the race even started.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • frenchfighter
    I never said that it needed livening up did I. I simply said that I think ISD would have provided some good viewing...so in addition to whatever happened.

Profiles:
    Today's stage:
    cache_1637452303.jpg
    Saturday
    cache_1637452403.jpg
    Sunday
    cache_1637452503.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Maybe the usual ISD attire was deemed too garish for the Giro?
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Maybe the usual ISD attire was deemed too garish for the Giro?

So, Footon selection was an aesthetic one, on the strength of their kit? :lol:
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    I also think ISD would have been a better team for the Giro. The only time I realized Footon-Servetto were taking part in the Giro was during the "Strade Bianche" stage, because everybody looked like they were wearing the Footon-Servetto kit.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    How can anyone complain about that Giro? It's like people moaning it's too hot...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    How can anyone complain about that Giro? It's like people moaning it's too hot...

It's far too hot today.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Footon had guaranteed entry, same as with the Tour. Of the eight wildcard teams, seven won stages - only Cervelo didn't
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I moaned at the time that ISD should have had a Giro slot, so, I'm entitled to carry on moaning.
    Colnago's great white hype DNF and other than their stage win, they were utterly invisible.

It would have been nice to see if Jose R could have mixed it up with the big boys on the climbs and I reckon although he's tiny, he would have got out of Holland in better shape than the CSFs.

This thread is summing up the Tour of Lux, nicely.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    prawny wrote:

It's far too hot today.

To quote Peter Kay - "Shut the f**k up and have a Solero!" :lol:
  • frenchfighter
    Armstrong, Klöden, Lagutin, Leukemans, Sinkewitz, Geniez, Sprick, Roy and Flecha have formed a chasing group. #skodatour
    1 minute ago via HootSuite .
    Frank Schleck (SAX) and Carrara (VAC) have jumped from the peloton and have 30s at the start of the last local loop. #skodatour
    4 minutes ago via HootSuite .
    Sorry we can't bring you the normal updates but we rely on race radio updates and mobile internet which had a major hiccup. #skodatour
    5 minutes ago via HootSuite .
    2nd GPM Col de l’Europe: 1. Schleck (SAX) 2. Carrara (VAC) 3. Armstrong (RSH) #skodatour
    6 minutes ago via HootSuite .
    Visconti (ISD) tried to jump but got caught. Bichot (BTL) tried but got countered. #skodatour
    Complete peloton in the 1st of the 3 local 9,5km loops. GPM: 1. Lofkvist (SKY) 2. Vicioso (ACA) 3. Ivanov (KAT) #skodatour
    The last 2km are downhill. At 300m before the finish there is a sharp 90 degree turn, taking the speed out of the descent. #skodatour
    7 minutes ago via HootSuite
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    2nd stage: 1. F. Schleck (SAX) 2. Carrara (VAC) 3. Flecha (SKY) 4. Ivanov (KAT) 5. Leukemans (VAC) 6. Armstrong (RSH)

GC: 1. Carrara (VAC) 2. F. Schleck (SAX) +1 / 3. Armstrong (RSH) +30 / 4. Flecha (SKY) +34 / 5. Ivanov (KAT) +34
    Contador is the Greatest
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    I moaned at the time that ISD should have had a Giro slot, so, I'm entitled to carry on moaning.
    Colnago's great white hype DNF and other than their stage win, they were utterly invisible.

It would have been nice to see if Jose R could have mixed it up with the big boys on the climbs and I reckon although he's tiny, he would have got out of Holland in better shape than the CSFs.

Very harsh on Colnago that as winning a stage made their Giro a succesful one and a few of their riders were in breaks from what i can recall.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,823
    Moray Gub wrote:

Very harsh on Colnago that as winning a stage made their Giro a succesful one and a few of their riders were in breaks from what i can recall.

yeah a stage win is a stage win... bit harsh and they had plenty of guys down the road on occasion

Footon OTOH
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    I can't wait for Sunday's stage 8). The finishing loop goes round round my house (and a few others) five times. That means if I pedal fast enough up the hill on a short-cut I'll get to see the race 10 times, maybe 11 if I can beat them to the top for the finish when they have to take a longer route. The Prologue on Wed night was good to watch. The cobbled street they were sent up is stupidly steep and I couldn't believe the speed they went up it.
  • deltadawn
    deltadawn Posts: 168
    Cyclingfans put up some nice photos of the prologue.

http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/840
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    I don't think Andy Schleck likes to time trial...

2010_tour_of_luxembourg_prologue_frank_schleck_saxo_bank1a.jpg

2010_tour_of_luxembourg_prologue_frank_schleck_saxo_bank3a.jpg

Nice to see he's giving it a go though!
  • afx237vi
    That's Frank :wink:
  • paulcuthbert
    afx237vi wrote:
    That's Frank :wink:

I didn't say it was Andy... :lol:

Obviously, what I meant was Andy doesn't like to because his brother (the one I posted the photos of) doesn't like it. Brothers of a feather and aw that...

Ok, bye! :?
  • afx237vi
    OK, I believe you... let's just say they're both as bad as each other.
  • paulcuthbert
    afx237vi wrote:
    OK, I believe you... let's just say they're both as bad as each other.

Wonder if they've improved on last year. Would make the Tour this year and in the future more exciting!
  • frenchfighter
    genki wrote:
    if I pedal fast enough up the hill on a short-cut I'll get to see the race 10 times, maybe 11

:lol:

Good luck!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Stage 3 bunch sprint from a group of about 40
    1 Tony Gallopin (Fra) Cofidis, le Credit en Ligne
    2 Giovanni Visconti (Ita) ISD - Neri
    3 Alexandre Geniez (Fra) Skil - Shimano

No change in overall leader.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Final stage is over already with severe thunderstorms causing all kinds of problems and resulting in the last two circuits not being done. Izaguirre of Euskatel took the stage win in a late breakaway which also contained the overall leader Carrara. Carrara therefore took the overall win ahead of Franck Schleck while third place overall went to Ivanov who finished second on the stage.