Your current faves in the peloton...

Comments

• jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    thomasmc wrote:
    Having any favorite in the peloton is dangerous, setting yourself up for a fall!

I know what you mean... this guy is my all time fave, but I have had my doubts about him.
    msr98rp-richard.jpg
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Until last week, Gibo, but he's done.

Not many riders I actively favour over others but i do like Boonen, Hoste (cos he has a face like an axe), Amets Txurruka (indeed most of Euskaltel) and Marco Marzano.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    thomasmc wrote:
    Having any favorite in the peloton is dangerous, setting yourself up for a fall!

I know what you mean... this guy is my all time fave, but I have had my doubts about him.
    msr98rp-richard.jpg

Is there anything Ricky Gervais can't turn his hand to? :o
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Evans - he's hillarious. If we're being kind - eccentric. If not - mad as cut snakes.
    Pozzato - he hillarious - takes himself rather too seriously.

If we're talking about talent/entertainment/performances, then can't really look that far beyond the usual suspects - Cancellara, Contador, Gilbert, Haussler.

Some fine exciting your riders - EBH, Sagan, Gadret, Boom etc

Have a new admiration for Basso following his Giro performances in the mountains.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Evans, Pinotti, Dave Z, Russ Downing, Thomas De Ghent, Sastre, Le Mevel, Voekler, Fedrigo, EBH, Sagan, and others I don't know how to spell (tamerai? tammertai? timotae? That estonian feller anyway)

Infact mainly people who come 2nd or lower and breakaway guys.

The interest for me in last years TDF was the stages with succesful or nearly there breaks. Riders dominating things doesn't excite me at all.

Edited to add Boonen after the start of this season, he gave it a good crack and didn't quite make it an honourary brit in the making.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Karpets - Great name

Is it me or has Vlad never actually lived up to all hype about him?

But most of the hype about him has actually been about how awesome his mullet is, so I'd say yes, he has lived up to it :wink:
  • Sheptastic
    Sheptastic Posts: 298
    For me it has to be Haussler, got to love his passion and attitude.
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    Cav, Gilbert, Nibali are the riders I look out for the most.
  • davidmiller
    davidmiller Posts: 320
    Jens, Fabian, Schlecks, Bertie.

Not Cav, no.

Can't get my head round Evans either. I want to like him honest but he does n't attack enough and those outbursts, jeez. Actually, a bit like Cav in a way ;-)

As a boy used to be a big admirer of Phil Anderson. Like Jens he never seemed to stop attacking.

DM
  • Kolobnev
    Ignatiev
    Ivanov

the pre race team talk on the Katusha bus must be epic...
    attack from kilometer zero, attack on the first climb, attack into a headwind, attack your own teamates..........
    Music and Bikes and Alligators
    http://www.richsemple.wordpress.com
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Cav for the sheer awesomeness of his sprints.
    Evans because he's probably been cheated out of a fair few top prizes by being clean (I suspect, rather than know)
    Gilbert for obvious reasons.
    The entire Euskaltel team because I've got an Orbea.
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    Jens Voigt and Cancellara. They're both tough and not frightened to lead from the front. Since the Giro I have also come to admire Arroyo and Evans and never thought I would say that about the latter.
  • daverow
    daverow Posts: 64
    Cancellara - He's the real deal. No motor necessary. Check out the TT from Mendrisio.. mind blowing.

Voight - Strong as an Ox and always in the mix. That, and being able to throw yourself on the floor at high speed and managing to land solely on your face. Only kidding, he's recovered well and looks to be in top form although gettting on a bit now.

Evans - Soley for his perfoances this year. Petulant doesn't quite do it justice though..

VINO - Yes. Vino. He's back, everyone hates him and he's still whooping ass. You need the villains in the peloton.

Emma Pooley - Young, fast and a winner. You gotta love that.

Cav? Ha. Chav more like. Not an ounce of class in him. Even down to slagging of his parents for not supporting him through the mountains. retard.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949

Can't get my head round Evans either. I want to like him honest but he does n't attack enough

Have you been watching any pro cycling this year? :D
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    I don't know why but I like to see French riders do well. It must be because I was told once that they have a really strict policy against doping. Don't know how true that is!
  • CarbonCopy
    CarbonCopy Posts: 492
    Liz hatch for the obvious reasons :D
  • davidmiller
    davidmiller Posts: 320
    dulldave wrote:

Can't get my head round Evans either. I want to like him honest but he does n't attack enough

Have you been watching any pro cycling this year? :D

Nope, not too much this year. Saw he attacked at one point in the Giro but my comments are mostly based on previous years. to be fair though, he could attacked forever but if he behaves like spoilt brat at the end I won't be able to repsect him.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    I've been a fan of Evans since his U23 MTB days. It's good to see him mixing it up with the best.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Nope, not too much this year. Saw he attacked at one point in the Giro but my comments are mostly based on previous years. to be fair though, he could attacked forever but if he behaves like spoilt brat at the end I won't be able to repsect him.

Evans has been the most exciting rider of the year. From Tour Down Under til the Giro he's been super exciting.

I don't understand the spoilt brat type of comments.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    I only root for real professionals. Armstrong, the Schlecks, Cancellara, Boonen, Devolder, Pozzato, Kolobnev, Vino, Ricco, Voigt, Breschel, Ballan, Menchov, and Arvesen to name but a few. Those are my guys.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Evans cos he's boss. Cav because it's nice to see a Brit be so good at something. Boonen and Gilbert because I like the Belgianness of them ;) Voekler because he always gives it a go. The Schlecks and Bertie because they climb, although I suspect better testing and they'd disappoint me.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Christian Poos, Vitaliy Buts, and I just noticed that there's a rider in the Dauphiné called Alfredo Balloni.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Cav, Wiggins, Millar, Hammond, etc cos they're brits
    Evans (2010 version) for being a winner even though he fell out the ugly tree at birth and broke every branch on the way down.
    Voight - coz he seems like a nice enough chap, and he's almost as old as me.
    The Cervelo Test Team - coz I like their videos, their bikes and their kit and I'm easily impressed.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • First of all - his name is Jens Voigt, without an H :P

Fave riders?
    McEwen,Farrar,Hammond,Eisel - for being übernice

Steven Cozza for doing a lot of work for childrens charities
    Carlos Sastre for being amazing + doing a lot of work for charities
    Joao Correia cos he's just great!
    Edvald Boasson Hagen cos he's amazing and Norwegian
    Peter Sagan - seen him this year? Says enough
    Tejay Van Garderen - great rider, great potential, great guy
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    Jens has to be my favourite rider. Appears to love what he does & always attacking.
    Stuey O'Grady. Partly for the HTFU wristbands & partly, like Jens, for being hard-as-nails, but down to earth, decent guy.
    Carlos Sastre. Always there or thereabouts & rarely wins, but no ego with it.
    Dave Z. No need for explanation....
    I can't help but admire Evans, even if I don't warm to him.
    & Basso's comeback has been something to admire.
    Dumoulins is also a great rider to watch & hear interviewed.

(I may have picked half the 2006 CSC TdF team there. I might have watched Overcoming too often!)
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    Jens has to be my favourite rider. Appears to love what he does & always attacking.
    Stuey O'Grady. Partly for the HTFU wristbands & partly, like Jens, for being hard-as-nails, but down to earth, decent guy.
    Carlos Sastre. Always there or thereabouts & rarely wins, but no ego with it.
    Dave Z. No need for explanation....
    I can't help but admire Evans, even if I don't warm to him.
    & Basso's comeback has been something to admire.
    Dumoulins is also a great rider to watch & hear interviewed.

(I may have picked half the 2006 CSC TdF team there. I might have watched Overcoming too often!)

Sastre annoys me because he is quality but rarely actually attacks or assists when in breakaway group. Rather play safe and get top 10 then go for it and get a win.
    Not including stage 17 TDF 2008 obviously.
  • seven7faces
    seven7faces Posts: 360
    voeckler - ever since the yellow jersey, first tour i ever watched all the way through

nibali - because he makes going downhill at god knows what speed look easy as pie

cav - because he's the only top athlete in any sport who seems to have no media training

voigt - he's really tall
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Jens Voigt - Just awesome.
    Fab C - Mad skills descending and awesomely powerful.
    Soler - Looks crazy on the bike, looks like 'some bloke' who's found himself in a race.
    Thor Hushovd - Seems a genuinely nice guy.
    Carlos Sastre - Looks like he gives it his all.
    Nibali - Mad descending skills too.
    Serge Pauwels - really weird one this but the way he never said much about being pulled back on that Girop stage last year then the next day flogged himself on the front of the bunch for Sastre to win on Monte Petrano.
    Gilbert - always gives it a go
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Big Jens, Tommy, Pinotti, Nibali, Scarponi, Gilbert.

Waiting for a fall? Hey men let us down all the time - just get used to it! :?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman