Tyres you love

2»

Comments

• rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    Northwind wrote:
    Small Block 8s are my tyre of the hour, fantastic when things get dry-ish. Fast as all hell, grip like velcro on hard stuff, and do better than any other fast tyre I've used in the mud. Also they're not just race tyres so they have excellent lifespan and a durable carcass. Fantastic.
    RealMan wrote:
    Ok enough with all the sarcastic and jokey replies. Lets talk about some proper tyres.

End of thread.

Just took mine off and went back to Nevegals, much better. 2.35 DTC is about 2/3rs the weight, grippier in everything but a completely straight line, and just about the same speed. Far cheaper to boot. I liked the novelty of having enormous tyres and the volume'd be lovely on a rigid but I got fed up of the lack of cornering grip.

2.4 Rubber Queens are my favourite tyre.

You can get them for £23 delivered so that makes them pretty cheap in my book.

Cornering - maybe they don't corner as well as some tyres but I've found they are grippier than they actually feel - the high volume makes them feel a bit unstable when your really pushing them, like they are going to let go but they don't - at least I have never totaly lost the bike with them on.

What they lack in cornering stability is more than made up for by their awesome high volume - brilliant for any technical rocky sections as you can just steamroll over stuff. They also make my hardtail a good bit more forgiving at the rear end which I really like.

I tried some smaller more summer/xc style tyres but ended up going back the RQ after a few rides as the smaller tyres just didn't seem as much fun.
  • Wet racing - Sauserwinds
    Dry Racing - Michelin XC Dry II (I'm in love with these, it was even better when they were £10 each on on-one)
    Another +1 for the Fire XC Pros for most other stuff.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    rudedog wrote:

Cornering - maybe they don't corner as well as some tyres but I've found they are grippier than they actually feel - the high volume makes them feel a bit unstable when your really pushing them, like they are going to let go but they don't - at least I have never totaly lost the bike with them on.

I have :lol: Held the slide but couldn't complete the corner so understeered right off the side. Of a 10 foot wide fire road :lol:

Surely the £24 ones would be the basic, non black chili ones? Considering the lack of grip on the sticky ones I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. Conti always use sticky rubber to make up for their poor design IMO, the Black Chili Mountain Kings perform pretty much like everyone else's hard rubber models.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    for summer its minion 2.35 singal ply maxxpro up front and aspen 2.1 on the rear, xc speed and dh grip.

tried pretty much every other popular tyre, got about 12 sets hanging in garage and no other combo comes close yet.
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    Northwind wrote:
    rudedog wrote:

I have :lol: Held the slide but couldn't complete the corner so understeered right off the side. Of a 10 foot wide fire road :lol:

Surely the £24 ones would be the basic, non black chili ones? Considering the lack of grip on the sticky ones I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. Conti always use sticky rubber to make up for their poor design IMO, the Black Chili Mountain Kings perform pretty much like everyone else's hard rubber models.

nope, they are £22.95 for the black chilli 2.4s - what pressures were you running with them at? I've found the handling improved a good deal by running them fairly low - around 20psi.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Nobby Nic Snake Skin front and back. Love 'em.
    Craig Rogers
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    rudedog wrote:
    nope, they are £22.95 for the black chilli 2.4s

Where? Will I get a further discount if I buy like 10?
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I still use some very old, mud tires.

IRC mud mad 1.95 inch, tall narrow tire with big knobbly well knobs.

great in mud and loose. I've yet to clog them. And they aren't too bad else where, tend to drift out a bit than wash out, if you over cook it on hard pack etc