Tyres you hate

2»

Comments

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    gravitys

just total rubbish, couldn't shed mud for sh1t, not much cop in the dry and heavy slow slow...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Bontrager XDX tyres that came with my Hifi...shocking. No grip and they slide everywhere...ok on the back but scary on the front!
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • reevie25
    reevie25 Posts: 254
    Continental Speed Kings wire, absolutely crap! The bare inertube would have worked better, they only provide grip when your stood still, I had endless punctures :twisted: ..... nuff said innit.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    It's funny that a lot of the selections for tyres you hate are coming up in the tyres you love thread too....One mans speedster is another mans thorn attractor!

This thread totally depends on what people are doing with their bikes too....and where they are cycling. And lets not discount riding style.

Would be boring if we all liked the same thing I guess
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Ads4 wrote:
    Bontrager XDX tyres that came with my Hifi...shocking. No grip and they slide everywhere...ok on the back but scary on the front!

This. Worst tyres in the world to have on a bike in january....
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Kenda K Rad, they don't clear mud, the bead is rubbish and they always seem to pick up thorns in between the blocks so you cant get them out
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    kenda nevagels, way too heavy, too wide, too many bikes have them, walls are way too thick, slow rolling!
  • Maxxis Ignitor
    My FS came with them as factory fitted. I found the front end was washy and don't show them mud as it sticks to them and they don't have very good self cleaning properties.
    I know what you mean... but i've grown to like mine again. I ride fairly loose so I don't mind a bit of sliding! More of a summer tyre though!

Worst tyres i've ever tried are Continental Speed Kings.

Crap cornering, no grip under load and I found them very very very draggy for what was essentially an innertube with lumps.

Wouldn't want to ride over any rock sections either.... I reckon I could push my finger through the sidewalls!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Schwaulbe, Nobby Nic's in 2.1 set up. Worst tye in my entire biking history for complete lack of grip.

Everyone who i ride with who tried them decided they were actually dangerous lol.
  • adydow
    adydow Posts: 92
    Bontrager XDX total rubbish did not get on with them at all no grip.

Maxxis Advantage, hate roots and tend to wash out, not at all confidence inspiring.

On a set of Spesh Eskar control 2bliss seem fine in the dry, yet to try in wet conditions.
    Of course its about the bike! Although having the legs helps.
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    New Ignitors. They feel like I am riding on dumper truck tyres.

I kept them on and swapped them about, now I have 2 part worn ones that roll alot better but give me no traction. Still if I ever need a new tyre and payday is too far off i have spares.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • Mc Smiley
    Mc Smiley Posts: 252
    Continental's Vapor and Gravity no cornering grip and not particularly quick.
    Specialized fastrack. Only good in bone dry and not as fast as it should be.
    Schwalbe Albert's - I like them, but show them anything mildly wet and they will slip. Keep them in a straight line though and forget about it.
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Specialized "The Captain - Control" ..........ok on the back, rubbish on the front - especially when cornering, which is an issue considering I don't ride in straight lines!!
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • fcumok
    fcumok Posts: 283
    JonnyN wrote:
    Specialized "The Captain - Control" ..........ok on the back, rubbish on the front - especially when cornering, which is an issue considering I don't ride in straight lines!!

Same here. Came with my bike. Interestingly I replaced them with some Panaracer Fire XCs and found them much better in the wet unlike others on here :D Just goes to show everyone's different.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Another Conti Speed King hater.

Couldn't believe how little grip the bike had. Thought I'd bought a pants bike until I changed tyres.

Not bad on the back actually as it does roll pretty damn quick.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    To be fair a lot of these seem to be OEM spec tyres, which are mostly rubbish. OEM Kendas and Contis are particularily poor in general.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, the basic contis are about 11 quid each, heavy, and seem to have a very hard compound.

The pro versions seem better to me.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    another vote for the spech captains here. Only good on hardpack, any other conditions and they are very sketchy. Have fire xcs on at the mo and love them, truely great all rounders imo.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • andyhilton
    andyhilton Posts: 156
    Another vote here for Mountain Kings. In the dry they are ok. In the wet you may as well be riding slicks.
  • slimboyjim
    slimboyjim Posts: 367
    I'd guess I could sum up 50% of the comments on here as "I hate fast tyres that get holes in them as they aren't tough enough or don't grip" and the other 50% as "I hate slow tyres that are really heavy and tough"...

:lol::lol::lol:

As someone said it depends on the type of riding you do - tyres have different balances of speed/grip and some are designed to perform in very specific conditions. Perhaps would help if people detailed what surfaces the tyres perform poorly on?

Personally I'm yet to find a tyre that grips well on that annoying cobbled surface covering half of FTD at Cannock :x I love it when I'm back on proper dirt!
  • Red Route
    Red Route Posts: 59
    Had Kevlar puncture protection on my Hybrid Tyres for my Carrera Subway 2 & in two years (inc riding in Peaks numerous times) I had no punctures.
    Recently put Hutchinson Rock MTB tyres on it (from Decathlon) for better grip & suspension offroad.
    First time out at Sherwood Pines no probs, 2nd time out on them got 2 punctures at Cannock Chase. Went out again in Peaks yesterday & they were fine.
    Is it the Terrain at Cannock (Pine Needles etc...) or the Tyres or was I just unlucky that day?