Big rides - what have you got coming up?

RealMan
RealMan Posts: 2,166
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Current being talked into doing mountain mayhem with a bunch of very fit guys. Always wanted to do a 24 hour event, and I was thinking about just jumping in the deep end and doing one solo, but a team event sounds like a good idea to see what its all about.

Also off to France in August, to do a week of darkside - ventoux, d'heuz, etc, and then a week of MTBing.

And assuming everything goes smoothly, I may have my first ever ride with my uni team around October, which, again, assuming everything goes smoothly, will be my team for the next 4 years.

So plenty to give me motivation to get out and get a bit fitter.

What have you got planned that you're looking forward to? Trying to get fit for? Regretting signing up for? :D

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Nothing.

:wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    Nothing but just found basically a jumps park in the middle of my local woods, completely out of sight looks absolutely amazing, see saw, tabletops, 3 big jumps, finished by a descent that's the steepest thing I've done on a bike... All in the middle of the woods down a tiny track that would take ages to find, cant believe I managed to see it, saw the other end that joined the walkway and looked further round, huge jumps, big berms and I'm gonna need a full facer with some body armour!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    did 10 under the ben a few weeks ago...and doing 10@kirroughtree next month....

but they are only 10 hour relay races...we we/are in teams of 3, so really...3.5 hours riding each is not a big ride.

Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    prob gonna do a half marathon in Spetemeber but thats just an excuse to meet some bikers and get wasted down the pub.

Otherwise a million and one camping trips through the summer as awlays. tent and gear is always prepped and i can be ready to move in two hours notice of a trip muhaha
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    nothing much,

3 hour bike race on Sunday

28 mile round trip to bath stopping off at a brewery for all the drink I can consume for a tenner :D on the 19th
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Three days in n.Wales, focusing on CYB but planning to get a day in at Llandegla on the way home and maybe some time on the climax trail. Absolutely cannot wait!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    South Downs Way, over 2 days sleeping under stars o/night.

Sometime in Aug/Sept
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Just did a DH race at the weekend. I reckon that's me done racing for the rest of the season now. Going to concentrate on putting in some distance and improving skills.

Next big event (rather than big ride) is BikeRadar Live next month, which is going to be Rad to the Power of Sick :lol:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    ur mum

:P

on a more serious note, going to llandelga in 2weeks, then off to cut gate path 2 weeks after that and Bikeradar live of course :D
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    3 months bike / train tour of USA taking in florida , utah , california and texas amoungst others.
    just waiting for sale of house to go through before booking.
    sorry , couldn't resist. 8)
    giggerty. :D
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    the wife has given me a day off from fatherly duties on sat (we have a 5 month old so dont get much time on the bike!) so i am going to make the most of it and ride from dawn till dusk.

up to llandegla via moss valley/nant-y-frith, quick loop there, back up to the top, over the boardwalks to worlds end, over the moors and down some little-used but ace singletrack and bridleways to ruabon and then pub to pub all the way home on country lanes.

i expect to arrive home sweaty, dusty, knackered and a little drunk but happy :D

• Thewaylander
    I rode llandelga last weekend for a blast, Last year i was enjoying this as i wasn't very fit.

But this year, after the two short black sections and the ladder drop there is really nothing to the trail, and it was over to fast. I was disapointed heading back up feeling fit :( 2 sections isn't enough for a trail but interested by the pump tracks now :)
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    llangdeglas trails dont add up to an all day ride IMO, although they seem to be adding new stuff fairly regulalry so this may change

theres plenty more in the surrounding area, couple of quarries within a mile or so below if that floats your boat, moorland tracks above, you can link it in to some good loops but alot of its local knowlege.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    biff55 wrote:
    3 months bike / train tour of USA taking in florida , utah , california and texas amoungst others.
    tsenior wrote:
    so i am going to make the most of it and ride from dawn till dusk.

Both completely different, but sound equally fantastic. Would love to hear how they go.
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    13days in the alps at the start of July. Going to be awesome.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    RealMan wrote:
    biff55 wrote:
    tsenior wrote:
    so i am going to make the most of it and ride from dawn till dusk.

Both completely different, but sound equally fantastic. Would love to hear how they go.

you will , taking my laptop with me.
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Doing this on Sunday - the 6 hr http://www.bike-fest.com/bristol/about.php
    Did the 75km big Welsh week end last sunday - won't do that again.

Ps Squirt (http://www.squirtlube.com/products/index.php ) is useless after 60km and a few stream crossings of riding my chain sounded like tank tracks.
    Don't think, BE:
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    edited June 2010
    Wharncliffe this week (not really a big ride, but a longish day of riding) . Morzine on the Torrent in the summer.

Not really a 'big' ride, but racing the 661 MiniDH, aswell as a few other undecided races this year. Hopefully BikeRadar Live aswell
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Depends how you define big. Hoping for 4 to 5 hours of singletrack action on the mountain on Sunday. That's pretty big for me.
  • tubaonwheels
    tubaonwheels Posts: 448
    Only my second year of 'proper' mountain biking and decided to have a go at a 12 hour solo - Gisburn dirty dozen a week on Sat. Fancy having a go at a 24 hour, but thought best to see how I get on with a 12 first. Also doing the Kielder 100 in Sept.
    In between having a couple of weeks in Scotland (Bute, Mull of Kintyre and Arran) where I hope to get in a variety of fun riding.

Thinking of having a crack at something 'big' next year - I like a challenge now and again.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Oh, I'm doing the south downs way randonee at the end of june too.
    And I'm spending mid july to a week and a half into september cycle leading and teching on 'country lane' style cycle holidays in various bits of france. Got a week back home mid-august when I plan to head down to the brighton big dog. I was hoping to ride it solo, but missed the entry, and couldn't get a team together in time, so I'll be doing the wonderdog laps.

Looking forward to it!

Also, how much time riding do you think you can get out llandegla? I like cross country swoopy stuff although I'll take a shot at most things.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    Off on holiday next week so gonna head up to Aviemore with the tent for a few nights and get some all day epics done.

Then have the Kona Mash-Up at Glentress next month followed by the CRC marathon at Selkirk. Busy few weeks ahead!
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • r3 guy
    r3 guy Posts: 229
    doing John o groats to Lands end in 2 weeks time (road bike)

Then doing a "touch the lakes" tour, an idea of mine to ride the lake district (off road) and touch the water of all 20 ish lakes (not inc tarns)
  • Black
    Black Posts: 172
    Off to Afan early Friday morning for a weekend biking there then onto Cwm Carn
    for a days riding then home :wink:
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    r3 guy wrote:
    Then doing a "touch the lakes" tour, an idea of mine to ride the lake district (off road) and touch the water of all 20 ish lakes (not inc tarns)

But there's only one lake :twisted: The rest are waters, meres etc. :wink:
  • ive got a charity ride coming up in a few weeks 18 miles which will be a challenge for me as most ive managed is 13 miles upto yet (not bad for a big lad like me) lol 8)
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,238
    Riding hit the north as a soloist in JUly, followed by Sleepless In The Saddle in August.

SITS is flipping excellent if its dry.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Thewaylander
    Also, how much time riding do you think you can get out llandegla? I like cross country swoopy stuff although I'll take a shot at most things.

The black route is piece off but really swoopy and fun. whole trail took less than an hour and half for us on the weekend and we were messing around and having fun, so its pretty short :s
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,238
    Its not a big ride, more of a quick fix blast.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Wales Dragon on Sunday and then the Alps for a week at the end of June. Will be doing Alp Duez, Galibier and any others we can find in the region. Later in the year I'll be doing the Southern Sportive in Sept.