What sized brakes?

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Help!

I'm after some Hope Mono M4 brakes for my new bike, but am unsure what size I need. Have got a 2009 Fox 32 140 fork, and I had wanted more powerful brakes than my superlight for more aggresive riding.... (before anyone asks - I can't remember what I have!). I'm fairly light if that makes a difference...

Can I get any size rotors with those forks? Is 200mm+ overkill on the front? Am I better looking at 185 & 165 or something?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    180(5) 160(5) will do most people.

but TBH i would look at other brakes than the Hopes as there are better out there. It also depend on which version of the Mono M4 you are on about. the first generation that cam out were poor in my view.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Fairly light? I run 160mm on my bike, front and rear, and it works fine for Alps, Wales, everywhere. I'm 55kg.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    edited June 2010
    185 is good for most use if you want to ride harder, alot of people do 160 rear 185 front.

But i would advise staying away from hopes, i know a few people who have them and are moving away from hopes. Hopes are fantasticly engineered and lovely to work on, but people i know using them have suffered from massive fade overheating.

friend in a downhill race last week crashed due to fade after 1.5 minutes which wasn't long enough for the run :S so he is going to avid elixir's as his partner's were doing well in the alps in comparison to his hopes.

I know alot of people rave of formula brakes for a similar price if you want summat a bit trick looking as well as functional
  • miss notax
    nicklouse wrote:

but TBH i would look at other brakes than the Hopes as there are better out there. It also depend on which version of the Mono M4 you are on about. the first generation that cam out were poor in my view.

Which makes do you think are better?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• nicklouse
    miss notax wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Which makes do you think are better?

currently i am still using formula brakes. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    185 is good for most use if you want to ride harder, alot of people do 160 rear 185 front.
    But i would advise staying away from hopes, i know a few people who have them and are moving away from hopes. Hopes are fantasticly engineered and lovely to work on, but people i know using them have suffered from massive fade overheating.

friend in a downhill race last week crashed due to fade after 1.5 minutes which wasn't long enough for the run :S so he is going to avid elixir's as his partner's were doing well in the alps in comparison to his hopes.

I know alot of people rave of formula brakes for a similar price if you want summat a bit trick looking as well as functional

i'm 14 stone and run 185 and 160 :D
  • Thewaylander
    Yup I'm 11stone dude, and i do 185/160 aswell works a charm.

And from experince Miss notax avid Elixir survive very well, and friends have used the stocker as a great trail brake(though they can be tricky to service.)

As nick says above Formula are amazing but cost a wee bit. it all depends on what you want from the brake. But my personal preference is to get one's with less features, with less to go wrong they normal have less mechanicals, hence me not swapping from my juicy 5, there spongy and wobbly ass levers but they always stop me and very very rarely have any problems. and enjoyable riding is all about just being able to get out when you want with out problems
  • I tend to go for one size larger than is necessary - just for that reassurance that when my skills run out (normally pretty quickly), I have the stopping power there to save me! Currently running Hope Tech M4's and think they are excellent!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I am 13 stone and run 160 at both ends. There is no way you need 200 plus, nor M4s.
  • miss notax
    Fair enough, thanks!

I have my eye on some on Ebay... 180 and 160 rotors and (seperately) Formula K24 levers and calipers. Am I missing anything else, or is this literally all I need? Would I be crazy to buy the levers and calipers second-hand (I don't mind the odd scratch etc)?

• mackie1
    mackie1 Posts: 95
    edited June 2010
    I'm 17st and specced 180mm disks front and rear with SLX levers and callipers on my new bike. Very pleased with the power and modulation and can comfortably do 1-finger braking. I did consider ~200mm on the front but thought it would be overkill.

Make sure you get the right adapters to mount the callipers.
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    Hoses?
  • supersonic
    How about some Elixirs from Merlin? Cheap, fully bled, warranty, ready to install.
  • Thewaylander
    I'd what sonic says myself, and possibly pop a set of goodridge braided hoses on uhm. cos they don't break (andi have broken +seen broken loads of standard hoses)
  • mackie1
    Merlin are doing a good deal on SLX brakes too.
  • Thewaylander
    Not been impressed with shimano brakes to be honest with anything bar the XT, possibly the XTR but not actually plaid with them in the flesh
  • mackie1
    Very happy with my SLX ones. They have the same servowave lever mechanism as the XTs and are easy to modulate and powerful. They are much much much better than the Juicys I had on my last bike. Easy to bleed (so I'm told), use mineral oil and look the biz too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Very happy with my single pot Saint brake as well. Fantastic little unit.
  • tegwin
    tegwin Posts: 78
    I have had Hope Mono M4s on my specialized enduro for the last 3 years.... Trips in Snowdonia, alps etc... I have never had issues with overheating..... pad wear is very very reasonable with sintered pads..

I run a 203mm floating rotor at the front (from a Moto).... and a 160mm at the rear...

For "daily" riding, the front is to big, but the hopes are so easy to control you just dont squeeze as hard... on long alpine decents they are amazing!

A lot of people bitch about them without trying....

Hope are made in the UK... they are IMHO the best you can buy.... Their support is second to none...

(I have nothing to do with hope by the way.... I just find their products to be excelent!)
  • supersonic
    That's all well and good, but you'd have to question the need of a lightweight person needing them and 8 inches on an XC type bike lol.
  • Razer_MTB
    Razer_MTB Posts: 361
    only used them for one ride, but the new deore are excellent, loads of power, good modulation even with 203 rotors front and back, fantastic for one finger braking, but i think 160mm rotors would still have been fine at both ends.
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I run a 200mm M4 as my front brake on my hardtail and I weigh 11 stone. I bought it as a replacement in the alps 5 years ago and it has worked a dream since - no servicing, no fade issues, just flawless.

I have deore's on my full suss which are powerful but a bit wooden.

I'd buy hopes again for sure. You probably dont need 200mm brakes but what the hell.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • miss notax
    Well, I have made a decision and gone for Formular K24 brakes, 180 and 160 floating rotor discs.

Am having awful thoughts now that I have made the wrong decision..... :oops: :?

I have mono minis on the superlight - someone please reassure me that the K24's will be a bit more hardcore than these? I want this bike to have a more aggressive build than the SL.

I think i've made a bad call here..... :(

• nicklouse
    nice brakes, are they the white 2009 versions? (also available in other colours)

I like mine.

or are they slightly older silver ones?

I like mine as well.
  • miss notax
    Older ones.... Fleabay bargain, haven't got them yet (but I will 8) )! Got the tarty discs yesterday.

They should be man enough for the Alps etc shouldn't they?

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I have K18s they are simply superb and they are the same as the k24s apart from the 24s pad adjustment.

Stop fretting!
  • nicklouse
    miss notax wrote:

They should be man enough for the Alps etc shouldn't they?

yep.
  • Thewaylander
    Loads of stop on uhm have no fear!
  • Turrican
    Turrican Posts: 755
    im currently using Shimano XTs at mo 200mm front and 180mm back but that is on me freeride and i like to go fast aggressive DH :D and they worked just fine but use metal pads as last longer. Its all preference really in what riding style how much u need to brake and when and how quick want to stop. 180 front 160 rear be fine for you and lots good makes out there to look at.

PS looks like you got your brakes now.
    I don't have a bike addiction problem.....bikes seems to have a problem with me.....it just can't seem to stay on.

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/users/FlowRideR661/
    http://flowrider661.pinkbike.com/
  • This topic must come up at least once a week. After messing about with different combinations for years I went for 203 all round and have never regretted it. Wherever I'm riding, whether it be a cross country mince or the alps, I know the brakes are up to the job.