Video of bike being forced off the road by bus

2»

Comments

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    It's really worrying to read all the MTFU comments...

As "at risk" soft road users we have a need (more than a responsibility) to take account of and respond to stupid antics of other road users. Its called self preservation.

But (it sounds like to me) to suggest that the preferred response is negotiate around the problem and simply accept unacceptable behaviour on the road - that sounds like <expletive>.

Kudos to the OP for challenging this sort of behaviour irrespective of whether people on this forum try to dimish the event.

I don't think we are trying to dismiss or in any way excuse the poor driving of the bus driver. In the first incident I described in one of my previous posts (the quick overtake then sudden pull in) I made a mental note of the bus details - reg plate and bus no. I was literally a minute away from my house!. I wrote them down as soon as I got in and then sent a complaint e-mail off. I got a fairly standard "the driver will be dealt with etc........" response back within a week or so and can only hope that it *may* help the driver see the error in his ways.

Unfortunately regardless of how you decide to navigate our road system you are always going to encounter pr!cks who dis-regard your safety/right of way and the majority of those people are in private vehicles so you have no comeback and confronting them can very easily get out of hand......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    edited June 2010
    Ok, my bad...

It did sound (TO ME) that folks were saying MTFU. If that's not the case then I recant.

I've had multiple instances (with Clarkes busses esp.) where they race to cut me off and then push me into the curb. They love doing this at Trafalga Way round about (the other entrance/exit to Canary wharf). I'd love to have video evdience to confront the company!

They (Clarkes drivers) literally race from behind into a pinch point where we are both side-by-side and then move across. There's no exit other than to hop the curb. I can't predict a situation and respond to if I can't see until it's being done!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Ok, my bad...

It did sound (TO ME) that folks were saying MTFU. If that's not the case the I recant.

I've had multiple instances (with Clarkes busses esp.) where they race to cut me off and then push me into the curb. They love doing this at Trafalga Way round about (the other entrance/exit to Canary wharf). I'd love to have video evdience to confront the company!

Sounds like you need to search for the cheap helmet cam threads!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    edited June 2010
    No one here is condoning the actions of the bus driver, in fact, most are in agreement that it was piss poor driving and would support any form of action that makes him more aware of cyclists. The point I was making is that cyclists also have a responsibility for their own safety, and the actions they take can greatly influence the gravity of a situation. In this example, a bit of awareness and defensive riding would have meant not having to end up on the pavement to avoid getting squished.
    As well as teaching others to be better drivers, we can teach ourselves to be better cyclists...ommmmmm...
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    The point I was making is that the paper in question was massively over-dramatizing a pretty minor incident.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    It was a fairly typical incident, and one that we're probably all used to. But I'm pleased that action is being taken. We should be changing the culture.

I have to say that I get very few incidents involving buses...
    Riding on 531
  • Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    My Missus thought i was making up stories when I told her about bad driving, etc. till she cycled in and a bus clipped her bars!!!!! luckily she had space to go.

I nearly got crushed by a bendy bus, had another guy behind me all I remember is a bus passing close then seeing the wheels getting closer and closer then locking up both wheels and praying that I stopped before I was under the wheels, the bus ended up about 2" from the kerb! had no intention of stopping either. Me and the other guy gave him loads of abuse as we passed him later on tho :twisted:
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I don't know if I'm just too tolerant, but this didn't seem like a particularly dangerous or uncommon event to me :S I've experienced much worse, and seen far more serious helmet cam footage. I really wonder why Docklands24 picked out this video. Perhaps it was just because it was clearly marked as being filmed at Canary Wharf?

Generally I don't find bus drivers inconsiderate or dangerous. But then I do tend to give them a very wide berth. Especially bendy buses. Most near misses/road rage are with delivery vans...
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Compared to being overtaken by a bus while I was doing 22mph and the bus then cut in while only half way past and nearly crushed me into a line of parked cars...you got off lightly.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • the_hundredth_idiot
    the_hundredth_idiot Posts: 813
    edited June 2010
    Here's my contribution to the occasionally some bus drivers might be gits but the vast majority are kind, considerate, warm human beings, in fact even when the occasional one is being a bit of a git it is probably due to personal circumstances about which we know nothing and the important thing is that we don't judge them and certainly don't pander to any stereotypes thread:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x634t-obiws

EDIT: Revised given prj45's feedback.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    bus drivers are gits

But they're not though.

Some of them might be at certain times, but I actually find buses are more often than not driven with care and consideration.
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    when the occasional one is being a bit of a git it is probably due to personal circumstances about which we know nothing

Quite. Like passangers on the bus pressing the alight button at the last second.

Which is why when I hear/see a bus near me and there's a bus stop coming up, I expect the unexepected.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    prj45 wrote:
    bus drivers are gits

But they're not though.

Some of them might be at certain times, but I actually find buses are more often than not driven with care and consideration.

+1

Most bus drivers are really excellent, and the average standard is far above car drivers. Doesn't stop the bad apples from making us think they're all evil though.

Haven't done it for a while now as I'm a slacker, but I've taken choco and letters of thanks to several of the bus garages in my area because of the excellent bus driving on my commute.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Re the vid posted by Kurako - where he correctly stops at a red light, there is also a cyclist skipping through an amber and "brushing" a ped....
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Do people with helmet cams intentionally avoid taking evasive action in order to make a point? A vast majority of clips displaying bad driving seem like the incidents could be avoided, with a bit of anticipation. I'm not denying that the driving is bad, however cars are large, potentially lethal and frequently piloted by idiots, so avoidance should take priority over making an example of bad driving.
  • FrankM wrote:
    when the occasional one is being a bit of a git it is probably due to personal circumstances about which we know nothing

Quite. Like passangers on the bus pressing the alight button at the last second.

Which is why when I hear/see a bus near me and there's a bus stop coming up, I expect the unexepected.

Can I just check if anyone has actually clicked through to the video link I posted and considered how likely it is that, for example, this particular coach driver made such a daft manoeuvre because a passenger had pressed the alight button at the last second?
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.