Intro & Explanation

2»

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    rjsterry wrote:
    I'm going to try a route variation this evening that cuts out Upper Tooting Road - yes, it's got that bad. If I turn left at Tooting Bec Tube, I think I can then swing right alongside the common and end up halfway along Tooting Broadway. I'll let you know if it's any improvement.

On the way back when you get to Clapham South tube why not go right down nighting gale lane and keep following it past wandworth common - where it becomes Burntwood Lane.

Google it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    Possibly a bit far north for me, as I'll then have to swing back through Merton, but might try that as well (on another night obviously). TVM.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Nightingale Road isn't fun, as there are those stupid speed bumps which push you into a bad position, and an awful lot of bad drivers who don't know how fast a bike travels.

If you go left at Bec, then you can turn right down Franciscan Road, which is OK. It has full-width speed bumps, and is a bit of a rat-run, but a good route nonetheless. However, I believe I saw it was closed at the bottom this morning for resurfacing (long overdue).
    Riding on 531
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    They obviously haven't considered those of us who ride blue bikes and sometimes wear blue jackets, we're going to be less visible.

Do you think 'they' will cover the cost of a nice new red bike for me?
  • Clarion
    Should have said: Nightingale Lane leads into Bellevue Rd, which is too narrow. First you've got to hold the RH lane as you climb up the railway bridge away from the lights, then keep hold of your position against stupid overtakes until you meet the queue, where it si very difficult to get past the metal. Once you're past the Common, though, there's a good fast descent to the RAB, with an intermittently useful bike lane.
    Riding on 531
  • rjsterry
    Thanks for that Clarion. Maybe I'll try the variation next week. Loving the half-term lack of traffic this morning BTW.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    Clarion wrote:
    Should have said: Nightingale Lane leads into Bellevue Rd, which is too narrow. First you've got to hold the RH lane as you climb up the railway bridge away from the lights, then keep hold of your position against stupid overtakes until you meet the queue, where it si very difficult to get past the metal. Once you're past the Common, though, there's a good fast descent to the RAB, with an intermittently useful bike lane.

All true that descent (and climb) makes what comes before worth it. Still, in some ways more managable than Tooting IMO.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    Just checked it out on Street view. When you say 'climb' and 'descent' we're talking London hills here aren't we. Think I'll wait till I'm back on the Giant for that as I spin out on Balham Hill at the moment (if you do go for a folder DDD, make sure you get sensible gearing. Some are aimed a bit too much at the pootler).
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    Yeah, I saw a guy on a folder today. While i like the idea of walking/riding around Liverpool street in my Tory boy finest, brompton and laptop there will always be the 'urban' side of me that will be disgusted and while a suit and laptop is cool a Brompton may be a step too far...

Gearing is also an issue.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Yeah, I saw a guy on a folder today. While i like the idea of walking/riding around Liverpool street in my Tory boy finest, brompton and laptop there will always be the 'urban' side of me that will be disgusted and while a suit and laptop is cool a Brompton may be a step too far...

Gearing is also an issue.

You can definitely do a suit without being too Tory boy, so long as said suit is sharp enough and fits properly. Get one made for you. Worth. Every. Penny. You won't want to be riding far in it though.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Clarion
    My suit is tweed and has plus fours :lol:
    Riding on 531