Norwich 100

carl_p
carl_p Posts: 989
I'll be there. Hopefully better conditions than last year's monsoon :lol:

Starting from the Cathedral this year, other than that the usual route?
Specialized Venge S Works
Cannondale Synapse
Enigma Etape
Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...

Comments

• markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Forecast is looking good for sunday, hopefully will need to carry suncream instead of waterproofs. Me and my gang will be there looking to get round between 5h30m and 6hrs.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Its my first, however I am only doing the 50 mile route.
  • carl_p
    markos1963 wrote:
    Forecast is looking good for sunday, hopefully will need to carry suncream instead of waterproofs. Me and my gang will be there looking to get round between 5h30m and 6hrs.

I've only done one century previously so I'll be happy with 6h30 mins and that will be an improvement over last year! I did 72 miles the weekend before last, was very tired and had a clipless moment towards the end through not concentrating. Going into it with a little bit of trepidation if I'm honest.

The first 60 miles are the worst on that route. Get to Horsey unscathed and it should be a bit easier after that.
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape

• markos1963
    Carl_P wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

I've only done one century previously so I'll be happy with 6h30 mins and that will be an improvement over last year! I did 72 miles the weekend before last, was very tired and had a clipless moment towards the end through not concentrating. Going into it with a little bit of trepidation if I'm honest.

The first 60 miles are the worst on that route. Get to Horsey unscathed and it should be a bit easier after that.

This is only my fourth and I only cracked the 6 hours on my last one at the Suffolk Sunrise. Luckily with a good group who will stick together and this will make all the difference as we regularly ride together on club runs. If you find some good groups stick with them and work for them and you never know you might crack the six. Look out for our club(VC Norwich) your more than welcome to work with us. The toughest part of the course, from Hindringham to Happisburg is where you need to work hard to get the time as the rest of the course is fast and flat. Have fun is the most important part :D
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Last year, I was kayaking near Wroxham... Well, it was good weather for that! :wink:
    This year I'm away (story of my life!), but there'll be a fair few of the GYCC guys there.
    I hope you all have a good ride.
    How's the Lotus League, Markos?
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • markos1963
    hopper1 wrote:
    Last year, I was kayaking near Wroxham... Well, it was good weather for that! :wink:
    This year I'm away (story of my life!), but there'll be a fair few of the GYCC guys there.
    I hope you all have a good ride.
    How's the Lotus League, Markos?

Didn't ride this week due to work, next one will be after I have done the Norwich100 so I should be fresh for that then! :wink:
  • carl_p
    markos1963 wrote:
    This is only my fourth and I only cracked the 6 hours on my last one at the Suffolk Sunrise. Luckily with a good group who will stick together and this will make all the difference as we regularly ride together on club runs. If you find some good groups stick with them and work for them and you never know you might crack the six. Look out for our club(VC Norwich) your more than welcome to work with us. The toughest part of the course, from Hindringham to Happisburg is where you need to work hard to get the time as the rest of the course is fast and flat. Have fun is the most important part :D
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape

• carl_p
    Carl_P wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

Oops clicked wrong button - please ignore/delete
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape

• carl_p
    markos1963 wrote:

Cheers Markos - will keep a look out for you guys. The chap I'm going round with is quick over shorter distances but has never done than 50 miles yet, whereas I'm a bit the opposite. Should be interesting :lol:
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape

• rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    I rode this a few years back in glorious weather. Got a tow off a chunky triathlete for 30 odd miles, who then blew up, and then I hooked up with a huge fast group from one of the local clubs and we absolutely tanked around. It's monstrous hilly where I ride, so blasting around on the flat in a big group was terrific fun :D . Must be grim riding into the headwinds when it's blowing hard though :cry: .

Tempted to give it another go this year....
  • I'll be there.

Not sure what time I'm looking at. Haven't managed to get many miles in this year. Can't see myself beating my 2008 5:32.
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    I've been given a day pass so me and a couple of mates may well roll up for this one. :D

Do the previous times being quoted include the obligatory 30 minute stop at half-way??
    Still breathing.....
  • markos1963
    hambones wrote:
    I've been given a day pass so me and a couple of mates may well roll up for this one. :D

Do the previous times being quoted include the obligatory 30 minute stop at half-way??

Times don't include the half way stop. I know some people ride straight through the stop anyway as they don't want to break up the rythym
  • BMX Bear
    BMX Bear Posts: 198
    Will miss it this year as it's the same weekend as the Dragon and most of us are off to Wales.
    Bit dissapointed as the Norwich is always a good quick hundred.

Have a great time guys. :D
    www.icenivelo.co.uk - Norfolks most inclusive cycling club
  • andy40man
    andy40man Posts: 21
    Seems to be plenty of people aiming for the time I'm dreaming of :oops:
    I'll be the bloke shamelessly wheel sucking :twisted:
  • danowat
    I am perplexed, I thought it started at the catherdral (tombland), however, using the link on the bike events link, it jumps to town hall (bethel street), which one is correct?
  • carl_p
    danowat wrote:
    I am perplexed, I thought it started at the catherdral (tombland), however, using the link on the bike events link, it jumps to town hall (bethel street), which one is correct?

My entry pack clearly says the Cathedral and has a brochure for there so that's where I'll be heading. The previous two years at least it has been from the Forum on Bethel St. so perhaps it's an old link? The start is usually sign posted to a fashion.

I wonder if some of those who turn up on the day without pre registering will just head to the Forum though.
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape

• LeeStilton
    LeeStilton Posts: 26
    hi this is my first ever sportive and i am doing the 100 miler :( not really trained hard for it :oops: nearly raised £500 for meningitis. so if you see a fat bloke wearing a purple t shirt sweating and people passing me please give me a tow lol.
  • danowat
    Carl_P wrote:
    danowat wrote:

My entry pack clearly says the Cathedral and has a brochure for there so that's where I'll be heading. The previous two years at least it has been from the Forum on Bethel St. so perhaps it's an old link? The start is usually sign posted to a fashion.

I wonder if some of those who turn up on the day without pre registering will just head to the Forum though.

I guess I'll just head to the cathedral then, I normally park up in one of the free spots near the forum, so I'll probably ride past there on the way anyway.
  • carl_p
    LeeStilton wrote:
    hi this is my first ever sportive and i am doing the 100 miler :( not really trained hard for it :oops: nearly raised £500 for meningitis. so if you see a fat bloke wearing a purple t shirt sweating and people passing me please give me a tow lol.

Fantastic! All the best to you. Will keep a look out for you.What bike will you be riding?
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape

• carl_p
    markos1963 wrote:
    Its going to rain :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Looks like it, thundery as well, typical. At least the wind speed looks light. Hopefully it won't be too bad in between the showers.
    Bit of wet lube required I suppose and might pack a waterproof.
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape

• danowat
    8) sweet, I am an "all conditions" type of guy 8)
  • hopper1
    Markos, I wont be needing my kayak this weekend...
    You've only got to ask... :wink:
  • markos1963
    hopper1 wrote:
    Markos, I wont be needing my kayak this weekend...
    You've only got to ask... :wink:

:D I'll definatly need a wet suit I think :D
  • hopper1
    Tell me about it, next Wednesday at Hethel... :wink:
  • danowat
    Well, it stayed dry, at least for the 50 milers!.

Did the course in 2:40, got to the end and wished I'd done the 100, next year for sure 8)

Saw a couple of nasty accidents, one guy coming off at the bottom of a hill, his bike was a right state, hope he was ok.
  • hopper1
    edited June 2010
    Well done, Dan...

Just got to wait for the late arrivals..... :roll:
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    No rain today!! 4 hours and 58 minutes riding time - very pleased with that, it wasn't easy!

:D
    Still breathing.....
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    nice work hambones! I missed the rain as well with 5hr 17 ride time. Stopped once to help a buddy with a puncture and once at the compulsory refuel in sherringham.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP