Doesn't anyone think it's sad....

stonehouse
stonehouse Posts: 222
edited May 2010 in Pro race
....that other threads on here are trashing the reputations of the biggest names in our sport?

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I think the biggest names in the sport are responsible for trashing their own reputations.
  • stonehouse wrote:
    ....that other threads on here are trashing the reputations of the biggest names in our sport?

Yeah, lets sweep all the cheating and corruption under the carpet and pretend things are all good now. :D
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    afx237vi wrote:
    I think the biggest names in the sport are responsible for trashing their own reputations.

+1 - they take the choice to cheat, people on here are just commenting on it.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    I think it's sadder that there are still people out there who believe the myth of Armstrong.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Sigh.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • stonehouse
    Innocent until proven guilty in most courts.

So are we saying that the 3 riders on last years TDF podium were all doping? That's the impression that is being given out, I can't help but feel that's sad.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    Pro-cycling has failed its fans. All that omerta has achieved is that we are suspicious of any rider that ever does well, and with good ground. We've been lied to and cheated far too many times. It's a shame for those riders who are clean, but that's life. Their colleagues - the dopers, those that enable them to dope and those that just keep their mouths shut have ensured we can't have full confidence in them. And I hold just about everyone involved in pro-cycling responsible for the situation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    stonehouse wrote:
    Innocent until proven guilty in most courts.

Not this claptrap again. This isn't about legal process, it's about cheating in sport. The available evidence would suggest that doping is endemic in cycling and many of those that are caught are done so via means other than doping tests.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Pro-cycling has failed its fans. All that omerta has achieved is that we are suspicious of any rider that ever does well, and with good ground. We've been lied to and cheated far too many times. It's a shame for those riders who are clean, but that's life. Their colleagues - the dopers, those that enable them to dope and those that just keep their mouths shut have ensured we can't have full confidence in them. And I hold just about everyone involved in pro-cycling responsible for the situation.
    Well said.

And whilst we are on the subject , still no word from Bradley 'it's my role as a role-model to expose it and not pretend it isn't happening' Wiggins...

http://twitter.com/bradwiggins

Or Jonathan 'I've dedicated my life to anti-doping' Vaughters.

http://twitter.com/vaughters

And the rest of course...
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    He says he's dedicated his life to anti-doping, not to keeping you happy, "Bernie".
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    And whilst we are on the subject , still no word from Bradley 'it's my role as a role-model to expose it and not pretend it isn't happening' Wiggins...

Oh FFS - do you think he might have something better to do than tweet at the moment? I agree of some of what you say, but sometimes you really post claptrap.
  • DaveyL
    Sometimes?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • BikingBernie
    mroli wrote:

Oh FFS - do you think he might have something better to do than tweet at the moment? I agree of some of what you say, but sometimes you really post claptrap.
    He found plenty of time to 'tweet' during last year's Tour, where he was pretty much occupied with fighting for a place on the podium...
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    mroli wrote:

He found plenty of time to 'tweet' during last year's Tour, where he was pretty much occupied with fighting for a place on the podium...

And significantly was riding for a different team with a markedly less autocratic principle. Perchance Sky have rules regarding such things? I stand to be corrected, if other Sky riders have been on it.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • stonehouse
    Not this claptrap again. This isn't about legal process,

Yeah hang them all they must be guilty, man I wouldn't want you lot as a jury!

If a simple thing like testing them in the middle of the night would catch them, surely it would have been done by now?
  • iainf72
    stonehouse wrote:

If a simple thing like testing them in the middle of the night would catch them, surely it would have been done by now?

Against the rules to do it between certain hours.
  • BikingBernie
    edited May 2010
    And significantly was riding for a different team with a markedly less autocratic principle. Perchance Sky have rules regarding such things? I stand to be corrected, if other Sky riders have been on it.
    Of course it could also be because one of Sky's riders (Michael Barry) has been implicated in doping by Landis...

Whatever, given Wiggins's previous willingness to speak out on such issues, if what you are saying is true his silence does have the whiff of, if not 'omerta', at least 'corporate whore' about it.
  • DaveyL
    No it doesn't. It has the whiff of someone who hasn't tweeted for two weeks.

Anything else is your spin, as usual.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    stonehouse wrote:
    Not this claptrap again. This isn't about legal process,

Yeah hang them all they must be guilty, man I wouldn't want you lot as a jury!

Apart from being outside the testing rules it makes the assumption that 'they' do want to catch them, that seems to be in some doubt, for certain riders.
  • BikingBernie
    DaveyL wrote:
    No it doesn't. It has the whiff of someone who hasn't tweeted for two weeks. Anything else is your spin, as usual.
    Yes, of course. And passing comment on the biggest doping story since Festina, or possibly ever, is far less important than 'tweeting' about a pair of lost cycling shoes, or what film he is watching, or what he is listening to on his iPod. :roll:

I had just expected more from Wiggins, Vaughters et al. Sorry about that...
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Of course it could also be because one of Sky's riders (Michael Barry) has been implicated in doping by Landis...

Whatever, given Wiggins's previous willingness to speak out on such issues, if what you are saying is true his silence does have the whiff of, if not 'omerta', at least 'corporate whore' about it.

Pro cyclists have bills too.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    It has the whiff of someone who has forgotten his twitter password to me.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • BikingBernie
    Pro cyclists have bills too.
    Many more than have principles, it seems.

Of course, one could use a similar argument to justify doping itself...
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL wrote:
    No it doesn't. It has the whiff of someone who hasn't tweeted for two weeks. Anything else is your spin, as usual.
    Yes, of course. And passing comment on the biggest doping story since Festina, or possibly ever, is far less important than 'tweeting' about a pair of lost cycling shoes, or what film he is watching, or what he is listening to on his iPod. :roll:

I had just expected more from Wiggins, Vaughters et al. Sorry about that...

There's very little point in Wiggins commenting on what are at the moment a bunch of allegations - as has already been pointed out to you ad nauseum. When there is some sort of resolution, *then* cirticise him for not commenting on it.

As for Vaughters, he is very closely linked to the allegations. Don't you think it would be better for him to say nothing in public until things are resolved? Isn't that kind of the way it works? How do you know he is not one of the individuals giving information or co-operating behind the scenes?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • BikingBernie
    RichN95 wrote:
    And how are your 'Nigerian' investments doing at the moment? :wink:
  • BikingBernie
    DaveyL wrote:
    There's very little point in Wiggins commenting on what are at the moment a bunch of allegations - as has already been pointed out to you ad nauseum. When there is some sort of resolution, *then* cirticise him for not commenting on it.
    And has also been pointed out to you 'ad nauseum' there are plenty of 'neutral' things that could have been said, such as stating that the UCI needs to run a full investigation (especially when it was clear that McQuaid wanted to do nothing), or suggesting that retrospective testing be done and so forth. Also, let's not forget that Wiggins used to say things like:

"The riders have got to take a stand too as a group. If it almost means that we're sitting on the start line at the next race in a month's time saying, 'Look, we're not riding with this guy' and put him at the back of the field or not start the race if there's any suspicion on this guy - if that's what it's gonna take then that's what it's gonna take."

Anyhow, unless you are simply trying to make this a personal attack on me - again - why not answer what 'No tA Doctor' said? Quote 'I hold just about everyone involved in pro-cycling responsible for the situation.'
  • DaveyL
    A personal attack? Hilarious, given your constant singling out of Wiggins.

I don't agree with the final quote - it's not as black and white as that.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Wiggins is best to keep his trap shut as for all his anti-doping talk he welcomed LA back with open arms, and didn't comment on Rob Hayles' dodgy HCT result. The guy is no better or worse than most of the rest.

Best to think of pro cycling as WWF, fit athletes providing entertainment but don't buy too much into the results.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    RichN95 wrote:
    And how are your 'Nigerian' investments doing at the moment? :wink:

I'm not the one being irrational one here. BW had twittered for a week prior to the Landis relevelation, not commenting on such things as Ben Swift's wins in Picardie. He hasn't done so for a week since. The rational explanation is that he's just not going on twitter at the moment for some reason (better things to do, phone broken, forgot password). The irrational explantion is he's conspiring in some plot, even before he knew about the plot.

The problem is you've spent hours, maybe days in the last few years posting (almost exclusively) against Armstrong, mostly the same things over and over. It's your obsession. This last week must have been like all your birthdays at once. But not everyone is obsessed and so aren't coming to your party. They've got their own lives to be getting on with.

The most interesting thing, to me, is that you have invested so much in Armstrong, you've lost the ability to think impartially. Everyone is either with you or against you. Black and white. No middle ground. It's interesting because this is exactly Armstrong's mindset. But at least he only takes things at face value. Two peas in a pod you are. Different ends of the pod, but the same pod all the same.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    Right, on Wiggins. I am no fan at all but the expectation from BB here is deluded.

I quote from his book "In Pursuit of Glory" (post Landis)

I am English speaking and generally an amenable chap and I let rip in a trademark fashion with a huge number of expletives having to be deleted from my quotes. Loads of peloton riders felt exactly the same but either kept their heads down or were not approached for quotes, so once again it appeared I had somehow become an unofficial spokesman and keeper of cyclings moral keys, so to speak. Far from it, but I have got my own standards and opinions and, if asked, I will occasionally shoot from the hip.

Wiggins owes the public nothing. He may owe the fashion police an apology but thinking he has to comment on some allegations is insanity.