Fabregas - will he, won't he?

Marko1962
Marko1962 Posts: 320
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
Go to Barcelona that is...

I really don't think he will (just yet) and the reason I think that way is that I feel he views Arsene as a substitute Dad and mentor and totally respects what he has to say.
Cesc Fabregas says an inspiring talk with Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has allowed him to focus on the World Cup and not a possible move to Barcelona.

The Arsenal captain said: "It was probably the greatest conversation I have had with someone in my life.

"I respect him so much. He told me to concentrate on my football and the World Cup and he will deal with whatever happens in my future."

I don't think Arsene wants him to go unless the price is right and reportedly Arsene has warned Fabregas of what to expect at Barcelona, he won't be first choice there unlike now at Arsenal, look at Henry and Hleb after their move, the grass is always greener as they say... also I get the impression Fabregas is really taking note of what Wenger has to say and is leaving his future willingly in Arsenes hands

What do you think?.

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    He'll go to Barca.

Gerrard, Lampard and Drogba will go to Madrid.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    No mate, I think he is going to go this season.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    He won't go, he isn't that foolish.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    who gives a toss , he,s a goooooooooner :lol: balance of power looks to be shifting in north london COME ON YOU SPURS :D
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    LOL bit late for that comment, April 1st has well gone :wink:
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    brakelever wrote:
    who gives a toss , he,s a goooooooooner :lol: balance of power looks to be shifting in north london COME ON YOU SPURS :D

you wont have a manager- droopy face will be banged up by then
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    brakelever wrote:

Yid army :twisted: He wants to go, therefore I hope they don't agree on a price and he has to stay and throws a wobbly :lol:
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    already as good as gone - deal done!
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    He'll go, they all leave Arsenal after a few good seasons - they're a real selling club, buy in promising youngsters and as soon as they start to reach their peak off they go :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Cesc said he wanted it sorted before the World cup. Now he's happy to wait until after = deals done or going to be done in the least disruptive way for both clubs.

With Barcelona playing 'Wenger style football' I could see Wenger eventually going there as well.

But to be honest what did anyone expect? Cesc is a loyal servant of the club, Charlie George said "he is Arsenal" and he is, but deeper than that he is born and bred Barcelona. His Arsenal adventure is over and what a wonderful adventure it was.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Never ceases to amaze me when players move to Spain. As good as the league is, it is so transient and inconsistent. However, one has to think about playing on front of 90.000 each week. That must be a good feeling.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Torres will join him at Barca as well.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    It is so frustrating being an Arsenal fan. Every time they get a decent looking line up they sell before they can buy.

If you look at the amount of players that have left it is like asset stripping. They are never replaced.

I think Fabregas will go and I also think Wenger will go at the end of next season.

Oh and before the Cockerels start crowing...

Your team cost £80m when you beat us the other week, ours cost £30m... so technically to only beat Arsenal 2-1 is pap.

:wink:
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    going
    going
    gone

arsenal have been saying "this team will develop and win" for 5 years with no sign of that happening.

whoever thinks fabrigas wont get in the barca side though is having a laugh, hes perfect for 4-3-3 and Xavi is already 30.....
  • jimmythecuckoo
    I think the real danger is that Wenger will be remembered for dismantling a side that went a whole season unbeaten as opposed to winning the trophies he did.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Fabregas will go, simples.

So what if Xavi is 30..... so is Gerrard and Lampard is 31. Nobody is saying they are past it.

Fabregas may struggle to hold down a first team place at Barca, but he will be at the club he grew up in and around and will play as much as possible for a manager he grew up adoring and on a higher wage than Arsenal can offer. He'll also have a better chance of representing his country and being fresh to do so. He'll also win trophies. Downside?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Never ceases to amaze me when players move to Spain. As good as the league is, it is so transient and inconsistent. However, one has to think about playing on front of 90.000 each week. That must be a good feeling.

Beats having to travel up to Wigan, Blackpool, Bolton, Sunderland, etc in your weekend....
  • DonDaddyD
    I think the real danger is that Wenger will be remembered for dismantling a side that went a whole season unbeaten as opposed to winning the trophies he did.

I've never ever in all my football fan years heard of a more ridiculous notion, that's right up there with Heskey being considered a prolific striker.

Wenger built that team. He took most of those players from obscurity or on the brink of obscurity and molded them into something great.

Whomever considers him as the person who dismantled that team needs an education in Arsenal history. Yes the team was dismantled, but each player (with the exception of Henry, though he himself hasn't made a £30million impact at Barcelona) was sold at the end of their footballing life cycle. This is evident by the sheer and undeniable fact that none of those players have gone on to surpass what they achieved at Arsenal.

For that matter, no player who was spent a long term under Wenger management has ever gone on to surpass their time at Arsenal. The one thing Wenger will be remembered for is consistently getting the best out of players.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    What's a Fabregas?
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • jimmythecuckoo
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I've never ever in all my football fan years heard of a more ridiculous notion, that's right up there with Heskey being considered a prolific striker.

Wenger built that team. He took most of those players from obscurity or on the brink of obscurity and molded them into something great.

But people only talk now about his inability to sign a decent goalkeeper
    Almunia
    Flappyhandski
    Richard Wright
    Rami Shaaban
    Alex Manninger (to a slightly lesser extent)

..and how the side has been broken up.

Regardless of whether he has had to sell to help pay off the debt, the manager is the figure head of the club and if he has set the bar by winning trophies and then stopped doing that, it will tarnish his legacy.

For me this is a big summer for Arsenal.
  • Ben6899
    For me this is a big summer for Arsenal.

Not as big as Liverpool's and Chelsea's...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

But people only talk now about his inability to sign a decent goalkeeper
    Almunia
    Flappyhandski
    Richard Wright
    Rami Shaaban
    Alex Manninger (to a slightly lesser extent)
    Lehmen wasn't half bad.
    ..and how the side has been broken up.

If you're really arguing this then you don't know what you're talking about.

He didn't split the team apart when they were in their prime, he sold players when they started to decline as players, their contracts had ended or they wanted to leave. He also had other players coming through the ranks. Yes those players haven't won anything - arguably because (i) the Premier League is better/harder in terms of quality and opposition (ii) Wenger doesn't really focus on the cups (iii) Europe is harder still. Arsenal has also struggled to buy quality as they've been restricted with funds due to the stadium costs, this is to end soon.

However despite all this what Wenger did with 'Le Invincibles' after THAT season was not a bad thing. It will also not overshadow what he did leading up to THAT season.

To even claim that 'he broke up that team' and that's what he'll be remembered for is like saying that Alex Ferguson will be remembered for breaking up the Treble winning side.
    Food Chain number = 4

• jimmythecuckoo
    Ferguson has had the ability to re-build. Wenger has put his faith in some players who are clearly not up to the job.

If you are telling me that watching the likes of Bendtner and Eboue every week is a positive outcome from the new stadium then I put it to you that it isnt me who doesnt know what he is talking about :wink:

The fact that when season tickets are up for renewal Wenger says he will strengthen and then doesnt is about as cynical as football gets (and it gets bloody cynical).

Players coming back from injury are not like 'new signings' they are players coming back from injury...

I sound like Myles Palmer now :lol:
  • Ben6899
    My biggest problem with Wenger (I'm not a Gooner, but sympathise with a couple of friends who are) is that he insists that he doesn't need to sign a 'keeper bcause there are already four at the club.

Yes that's true. But they're all fuck1ng sh1te, Arsene, and one of them definitely cost you a lot late on this season; Fabianski has hands like a cow's tits!
    Ben

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    In his head Fabregas has already gone.
    It shouldn`t be forgotten that all Wenger`s success came with a defence that was entirely inherited and since they all finished Arsenal have played some nice football and won absolutely nothing . Some of his defensive signings have been complete dross, anyone remember Stepanov?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    Yes I do. He played alongside Gilles Grimandi in a 6-1 defeat at Old Trafford in 2000-2001.
  • antfly
    Exactly.
  • Ben6899
    In all seriousness, I don't think Wenger is all that interested in working on defending. Adams, Keown, Dixon and Winterburn were all from the George Graham School of Clean Sheets and knew what to do without much input from anyone else.

Some of Arsenal's defending - season just gone in particular - was nothing short of lamentable.
    Ben

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Whether Cesc goes or not, I'm old enough to remember standing on the North Bank during the Don Howe era watching the likes of Willie Young, Peter Marinello and Lord knows who else huff and puff about the place missing tackles and thumping the ball into the stands.

By comparison with that and any other era, the current Arsenal set up is simply breathtaking. Young Pneumatic and I were sat in row six behind the goal for the 7-0 champions league win last season and in the same spot for an FA cup win this season. When you see the Arsenal attacking towards you at eye level, it is frankly terrifying.

Yes, they are not the best at defending; yes, they can be snuffed out by negative tactics, no, they haven't lifted a silver pot for a while, but I'll pay to watch them any time.

As for Tottingham, change your pants, enjoy it while it lasts, and remember what happened to Leeds, Newcastle, Blackburn, Nottingham Forest. . . . When you've been in contention for nearly every league title for a quarter of a century* and done 13 Champions League campaigns in a row, we'll talk again! :wink:

(*and you've still never won the league in my lifetime!)

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• antfly
    I think it`s Arsenal that are more likely to go into decline than Spurs. It`s a changing of the guard.