Building A Bike..... on-one 456

2»

Comments

• bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Curses, beaten to the punch
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • lexinho
    lexinho Posts: 16
    what does curses beaten to the punch mean ?

cat with no tail;

you have an on one too i just been checking out your videos they seem cool..
    whats the bike like to ride?
    And i have a picture sorry its not the best but thats as far as i got at the moment, i want proper tubeless, is it all expensive??
    thanks.
    alex.k
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    lexinho

That looks very similar to how I built up my 456 when I very first got it.

I basically just moved over all the bits from an old DH bike. It worked quite well as a freeride HT actually, but it was NOT fun trying to pedal it anywhere other than down!

DSCF0009.jpg

Trust me when I tell you, a lighter fork, and some lighter wheels will make a WORLD of difference!
  • lexinho
    what does curses beaten to the punch mean ?

cat with no tail;

you have an on one too i just been checking out your videos they seem cool..
    whats the bike like to ride?
    And i have a picture sorry its not the best but thats as far as i got at the moment, i want proper tubeless, is it all expensive??
    thanks.
    alex.k
  • lexinho
    right thats sweet that bike.. of yours i bet its a world of fun !

whats it now like going up, sorry is that a light or heavy fork you have on there it is a zocchi so you can never tell..
    I think the RockShox will work well on mine, actually, will it fit my wheels and all that stuff.. ??
    im doing mine 9 speed what is yours?
    And are they goodridge hoses i see or some other brand?
    and what pedals do you have ? Im getting some dmr v8 grease port.
    How long do you think those forks will stay at that price for and were they the 2010 version. :)
    thanks
    alex.k
  • cat_with_no_tail
    What you need to do is outline a proper budget. How much do you actually have to spend on each part of the bike, and do you have any colours or anything that you'd prefer.
    Tubeless can be very expensive, that dosent necessarily mean it NEEDS to be.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    The old fork was a Marzocchi 66 RC2X, travel reduced to 160mm. It was VERY heavy (around 7lbs). But it was a great little DH fork.
    My New fork is a Rockshox Pike, it's the coil u-turn version and weighs around 5lbs (so a 2lb saving).
    The revelation you are looking at, is around 3.5lbs, and yes, it says they are the 2010 version.

I've got 2 sets of pedals for mine, some old clanky V8s which I use for Downhill and commuting, and some Shimano Clipless (SPD) that I use for everything else. Personally, I'd not recommend DMR V8s, you can get some Wellgo MG1s for the same price, and they are MUCH better pedals.

It now climbs VERY well.

9 speed for a XC type setup may be a bit limiting in my opinion. Although it really does depend on how steep the climbs are and how strong your legs are. Personally, I'd have a look at something like a Shimano SLX Double chainset and Bashguard. Strong, cheap, not too heavy, and nice to look at.

As for Wheelsets, it really depends on how much money you're looking to spend.