Building A Bike..... on-one 456

lexinho
lexinho Posts: 16
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Hey all im new to this, bike radar forum scene, all of the people here seem to know alot about bikes.. Need some advice basically..
Im building a bike, not from scratch, heres the descripton;
On One Inbred 18” 456 Frame
Hope XC hub Mavic EX721 rim rear wheel and a 20mm bolt through front hub with a Sunn Single Track rim.
Marzocchi Bomber 66 VF2 fork
FSA Carbon Seat Post and good quality seat
Easton Vice stem and Race Face bars
Lock on grips
FSA Headset

I am adding to it and buying items here there and everywhere, i have some brakes which are hayes stroker trail apparently they are good.. I am doing 9 * 1 speed, and using a KMC chain the SL one..
I also have a lot of items coming, i am getting Goodridge hose kit etc in yellow..
DMR v8 pedals in yellow and the superstar chain device :)

I am basically in need of some advice.. I want a good quality MTB hardtail in all..
i do want a fox fork on it but i am not paying stupid £ for them ( over £400 ) preferably a 32 talas, or vanilla ?
I really want tubeless tyres too how would i go about all of that, and at what cost?
So i just want to build it up to a decent standard as i want to go riding alot this summer..

Thanks everybody :)

Comments

• ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • lexinho
    Nope i want a talas, if possible and certainly not a white one im going for a black fork.
    :)
  • lexinho
    Nope i want a talas, if possible and certainly not a white one im going for a black fork.
  • ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    Fair do's
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Ive just bought some elixirs to replace my strokers. Didn't like the Hayes as all
  • I like the strokers.... basic brakes but they work well!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are you planning to thrash it as it looks a hefty build.
  • The VF2 fork is a big fork for sure. 170mm isn't it?

Might actually weigh more than my NS!
  • brady10
    brady10 Posts: 195
    What colour 456 frame have ya chosen mate?
    WOW really? Carbon Fibre Hubs?? Well how about chucking that kebab in the bin?
  • lexinho
    Brady10-

Hey ive chosen red i think it looks alright pictures will be put up.. in due course..
    Do you have one?
    Alex.K
    bigbenj_08
    Yeh something like that, ive looked at marzocchi a little and apparently they made better forks in 06 07 which i think the vf2 is but then they went to thailand as it went bustl in italy ?
    Is the VF2 a good fork? i want a fox 32 talas though, any recommendations, and would i have to change anything..
    i think the brakes are quite good, they seem alright anyway, this is my first build so its all new to me, my mate said avid make a bit of noise so... :/
    Alex.k

supersonic
    Yeh i will be going up a local hill in gloucestershire alot of times in the summer hopefully, as well as wales etc..Bit of a xc i like to think, why does it seem a hefty build, do you have one pal ?
    Alex.k
  • lexinho
    lol chucking what kebab in the bin, what is special about carbon?

And what is the NS fork ? thanks

alex k
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    721 rims and freeride forks are not usually for XC builds, unless you are a very, very heavy rider lol.

I would look at the lighter Revelation for XC duties, and possibly lighter rims too. Same witha lighter stem.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    id look at some rev's or magura thor's, vf2's are a little burly i would say. Maybe Pikes if your a big lad.
    If you really want 160mm (a bit excessive i would say, for XC) then maybe some Lyrics, or, idealy, some Magura Wotans.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • lexinho
    Joshtp/ mbukman

What does a little burly mean, the fork i will replace in time i think i have not ridden it yet with the vf2's so we'll see i just know its got a lot of travel.
    No im not a big lad at all, i weight 10 stone 10 and am 5 ft 8, i do want some fox forks though any fox that are recommended?
    thanks
    alex.k

supersonic.

oh ok im not a big lad at all, so what do i need i do want tubeless?

thanks
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Why is it you have such a boner for Fox forks?

I only ask because there may well be better forks out there for less money. You are paying a premium for a badge with Fox stuff (they're very nice and all, just overpriced for what you get imho, and the servicing is a joke).
  • lexinho
    Cat with no tail.

i just like fox forks, i have seen all the good bikes on the net either have fox or rock shox, but what is your pike like and whats the travel on it..
    Oh and plus you can pick up fox talas on ebay for under £300.
    what do you mean by servicing is a joke, i may stick with marzocchi :/

thanks

alex.k
  • joshtp
    OK, what i mean by burly is that the 66's are very long, very strong,very heavy, very tough, very "meaty" forks, they are for freeride and extreme AM. Very much not for XC and will be far too much, ie heavy, and way stronger and longer than you need, for what you want.

also, i simply dont get this lust for Fox that seems to be popular at the mo! They do make nice Kit, no ones saying they dont, but its WAY overpriced, and simply not as good as other offerings. They dont even make up for it by looking dope.

Magura, Marzocchi, Rockshox and others all make equally good, but often cheaper forks!

If i were you a Thor (i am a bit of a magura fanboi) or a RS Rev would be way at the top of my list.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • lexinho
    thankyou
    i have just been looking at a couple of the magura forks they seem rather nice..
    so if i were to take the fox talas, what would be an equal comparison? at a cheaper price ?
    and where would be the best place to look, to be honest i now see what your saying with fox, but you know everrrry single top spec bike has one or is that a bit harsh to say ?

thanks

alex.k
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Meh, I personally love my Pikes, but then I'm substantially heavier than you, so they were a better fit for me personally as I prefer the feel of coil springs over air springs.
    Travel is 140mm u-turn, so adjustable between 95-140mm.

You CAN pick up Talas on Ebay for under £300, but they'd be the lower models, with limited adjustability. And you'd want a complete service history if you go down the 2nd hand route.

When I say servicing is a Joke, I just mean that it's so expensive to get them serviced, and you need to get it done by an authorised Fox service centre (like TFT) or it voids your warranty.

There are current offerings from other manufacturers for less money, that have been proven to perform as well, if not better thn Fox stuff.

Again though, I am NOT saying that Fox stuff is bad, it's great! But I just think you can do better for less money. I'm not trying to put you off getting a good set of Fox forx, just reminding you to keep your options open, and shop around a little. Don't just discount other brands because "it's not Fox so it's rubbish" :D
  • joshtp
    well if you want travel adjust then your (good) options are :
    a Thor - expensive, but awsome, can be had in good nic second hand
    a Rev u-turn - awsome, fairly cheap, esp second hand, and good at everything (prob best option, unless you find a thor in budget)
    a Pike uturn - great fork, like a rev, but stonger and heavyer, not as good an option as a rev for you, but often can be found real cheap.
    a 44 ti micro or RC3 - not cheapas it would have to be this year as the past few years have been poor from zocchi, and no travel adjust unless you go for the awful system that is ATA, But reliable and MEGA smooth.

a Fox 32 Talas - Expensive, heavy and flexy, and not the best damping or feel (IMHO) and poor reliability, but you like them, and they are very smooth.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • lexinho
    thanks pal, sorry whats a thor?

Ive had a look at the rockshox they seem good quality, so fox talas are not all that great then, although on this website there made out to be the best forks so for a first time builder like me its hard to find the right fork at the right price, especially when fox is just screaming out for people to buy them..
    so the travel adjust can you explain it a little bit to me how does it work, and whats this u-turn thing? And what sort of travel adjust are they i would preferably like 90-140mm

thanks again
    alex.k
  • joshtp
    Nothing wrong with the fx's, just not as good as others, more expensive, and require more (expensive) maintenance.

Do you even know what talas is? :) its a way of adjusting the travel on the forks. It has 3 steps full travel, halfway and short travel.
    U-turn is similar, but has "infinate" travel adjust, you turn a dial and it winds the fork down or back up, and you just leave it where you want.
    all the other systems are similar. The magura has a really simple easy to uuse system where you just push a button on your bars and it goes short, (100mm) then press is again and it goes back to 140mm.
    The clever thing about travel adjust (on most brands anyway) is that it doesnt alter the spring rate, so the fork is just like a normal, totaly active fork, but just shorter travel when the travel is wound down. its great for climbing steep hills.

Thor is the model name of the 140mm fork in magura's linup.

if your not fussd about travel adjust then there are loads more options, although personaly i really do like my travel adjust.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • cat_with_no_tail
    u-turn is a travel adjust system similar to Talas.

Where Talas has 3 travel settings in 20mm incriments (140-120-100), u-turn is completely adjustable and can be set anywhere within the travel.

Obviously, how useful one method is over the other is entirely down to what you're going to use it for.

Something like This Rockshox Revelation Air u-turn, with pop-lock could be right up your street.
    LOADS of adjustments, perfect travel for a 456, light, strong (it's the maxle version), easy to service yourself, or cheap to have it done at your lbs. With handlebar mounted lockout.
    And at £315 it's a fantastic deal!
  • joshtp
    that rev CWNT linked to is awsome. prob my choice! (unless you can find a new thor for that much)_
    I like bikes and stuff
  • lexinho
    wow !!!! thats very very tempting will it fit the 456 frame or will i have to make any major adjustments?

i think i might just get that.. :)
    thanks dude, and its not fox ! its Rockshox saweeet.
    next stop tubeless tyres have not a clue how to do it..

• lexinho
    so t-a-l-a-s- stands for what exactly ? travel adjust i know that part.. lol
    With this Rockshox revelation that is linked, how easy is it to change travel does anybody know of a video it seems so complex :/

:) thanks

alex.k
  • mackie1
    mackie1 Posts: 95
    Wow that fork from Merlin is stonking value! They must have just added that. Makes the Team (which I've ordered) look very expensive. They must have just added those as they weren't there when I was choosing my fork last week. Bugger! ~£180 for the BB damper over standard MC seems like a lot.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Travel Adjust Linear Air Spring - TALAS :D

Push a button, and it drops 20mm, due to some sort of piston thing in a seperate air chamber. TBH, I'm not sure of how the ins and outs of these systems work as I'm a coil spring kina guy (simpler).

With u-turn, you wind a knob that drops (or raises) the forks by a mm or so at a time.

The Rev I linked to should fit the 456 without any problems, With a 456 and standard headset, you can usually get away with a steerer 200mm+, possibly shorter if you have an internal headset. Unless they specify otherwise, the steerer length is usually WELL in excess of that. You just get your local bike shop to chop down the excess once you've got it set up to the correct height for you.

As for Tubeless, you can either do "proper" tubeless, or "ghetto" tubeless depending on how you want to do it, what sort of wheels/tyres you have etc.

There's a link that Supersonic usually posts, I think it's for "JustRidingAlong" that explains tubeless, how it works, different methods etc. I'll see if I can find it.
  • lexinho
    [img][/img]0001t5.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    TALAS- Travel Adjust Linear Air Spring
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.