Who's doing the Marmotte,

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,786
Would be nice to actually meet up to at least say 'hi' to all the other forumers who are doing it. Is everyone on the Alpe the day before? I'm ariving Thursday and will be kicking my heals on Friday if any one fancy a beer, sorry, coffee.

Comments

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I'm doing it, but I'll be in no state to meet up the night before as I'll be mostly spending it on the khazi cacking it. :lol:
  • tonyscp
    tonyscp Posts: 111
    I'm doing it for the second time. Arriving in Bourg - camping at Le Colporteur with a couple of mates - on 26th June to get acclimatised. If anyone fancies doing some rides during the week they're welcome to tag along with us.
    Cheers
  • inseine
    I'm doing it, but I'll be in no state to meet up the night before as I'll be mostly spending it on the khazi cacking it.

That's a seriously weight loss regeime you're planning.....
  • ketsbaia
    inseine wrote:
    I'm doing it, but I'll be in no state to meet up the night before as I'll be mostly spending it on the khazi cacking it.

That's a seriously weight loss regeime you're planning.....

:lol: Can't afford a new set of wheels, so laxatives it is...
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    2nd time. Last year fell to absolute pieces will try and avoid that this time
  • ketsbaia
    Err, aren't you the guy who came 35th in last year's Dragon Ride?

*worries*
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Disaster last year. 50th next year so will try again.
  • inseine
    1st time for me. Nervous as hell, but hope to take it easy and try to 'enjoy' the Alpe...... :roll:
  • i'm in.

first time at marmotte.

looks brutal.

can't wait!
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    2nd time for me. I did it last yearand it was the most amazing experience. I will never forget cycling up the Galibier with a thunderstorm closing in behind me. The sound of it was just so ominous.

I'll be arriving in Bourg D'Oisan on the Thursday so will probably have a ride up the Alpe to complete my registration but will just be resting on the Friday.

I have just realised, it is 5 weeks tomorrow!!!! I hope everyone's training is going to plan.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    2nd time for me too. Last year was excellent. One of the best rides I've done. The Alp was tough but got there in the end.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • PhilA
    PhilA Posts: 26
    Following a last minute opening last night, I am doing it.

I am nervous, too. However, I ridden the route before a couple of times (albeit in stages)and know how it feels. I know I am fit, so as long as I eat/drink properly and get into a rhythm, I should be O.K. Famous last words!

I am staying about 3km north out of Bourg at some campsite off the main route. If anyone else is staying there and sees a guy on a black Kuota, pop over and say 'hi'.

Phil
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    inseine wrote:
    Would be nice to actually meet up to at least say 'hi' to all the other forumers who are doing it. Is everyone on the Alpe the day before? I'm ariving Thursday and will be kicking my heals on Friday if any one fancy a beer, sorry, coffee.

Not the Marmotte but will be doing Alp Duez and the Galibier in the last week of June.
  • lucky paddy
    lucky paddy Posts: 23
    hi all second time for me and after a long cold scottish winter I hope to do better this year the heat got to me last time so this year arriving on the monday to acclimatise (thought this was unecessary last year apparently not!!!!!)planning a couple of rides during the week .I would be up to meet up with anyone from here if they fancy awee jaunt up the valley.Definatley getting dropped off at the top of the galibier to have another go at the best descent in europe.I managed 63mph last year before my bottle finally gave in.Hope everyones training is going well see you there.
  • Brewsterwmb
    Brewsterwmb Posts: 145
    I'm in. Virgin Marmotte'r. Plan on giving it my best shot. Arriving Thursday with a couple of mates...

Training going to plan with some top 10 quickest times in a few sportives so far. But like many say, not that that will prepare me for this!

Sensible ride and hopefully the ability to enjoy the week after watching Le Tour and a few easy rides around the local area.

Anyone else hanging around after? :) :?
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”
  • tanaysmith
    tanaysmith Posts: 6
    I'm in. Virgin Marmotte'r. Plan on giving it my best shot. Arriving Thursday with a couple of mates...

Training going to plan with some top 10 quickest times in a few sportives so far. But like many say, not that that will prepare me for this!

Sensible ride and hopefully the ability to enjoy the week after watching Le Tour and a few easy rides around the local area.

Anyone else hanging around after? :) :?

We won't be staying past the Sunday but there will be three of us from the Bath/Bristol area doing it.

We've hired a motorhome and will be staying at the La Cascade campsite at the bottom of the ADH climb.
  • Brewsterwmb
    Brewsterwmb Posts: 145
    spot the Bath CC in-crowd then! :D YaY!
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Any first timers got the fear about the Marmotte?! I'm feeling a lot better about it after the Dragon Ride yesterday which, despite being a piece of p*ss compared to the Marmotte, was a nice boost to the confidence.

So anyone thought about tactics yet? The mantra seems to be 'take it easy on the Glandon and the Telegraph' so I'm definitely going to stick to that. Must remember to take on enough water/energy drink at the last feed station too (pretty basic, but I've now finished my last two sportives dehydrated).

I've posted this before, but if you haven't read this account of La Marmotte, it's a good one:

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=4565
  • inseine
    Any first timers got the fear about the Marmotte?!

Scared to death, why wouldn't you be! Did La Limousine on Saturday and was happy with how it went, but it was 'only' 162kms and 2400m of climbing and I still ended up done in. Mind you it was 30kph+ average and I'll be aiming for more like 20 in the Marmotte!
    I ate more than I ever have in a sportive and I think it helped but it's hard to keep all that crap down after 5 hours.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    This will be my second year at la Marmotte.

I’m driving down alone this time (wife with new-born didn’t fancy it), camping in “ la Piscine” at the foot of the Alpe, so if anyone fancies meeting for a pizza and a beer in Bourg d’Oisans after the event I’d be up for it?

I’ll be there from Wednesday or Thursday depending on whether I fancy the drive in one hit, and staying until Monday.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    inseine wrote:
    I ate more than I ever have in a sportive and I think it helped but it's hard to keep all that crap down after 5 hours.

I know what you mean - my guts have only just recovered from the Dragon Ride. I had stomach cramps and felt physically sick for most of the final third - and that was after giving the jam tarts, Bourbon biccies and Mr Kipling apple pies at the feed stops a wide berth!!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • I'll be riding this year if my knees play ball. May was wet and cold and I did a lot of running so when finally a decent weekend arrived I took advantage with a long cycle ride. Knees didn't seem to like it on the second half of the ride and been off the bike and on anti-inflamatories for the last week.

Eighth Marmotte for me.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • Abdoujaparov
    So what are the descents like? I hear Glandon can be pretty dangerous because the field hasn't thinned out that much by then. And the Galibier just goes on and on and on so you can rest up quite nicely.
  • Yes, Glandon is technical and steep, especially near the top. Treat it with respect and take it easy as there are lots of riders around.

The first 9 kilometres of Galibier are on a small road that you need to make sure you keep right. I had a friend go in the back of a car on here as he rounded a corner to find two cars stopped in the road trying to pass each other. Once you drop onto the Lautaret, it's a big wide road and the perfect place to fill your face with the food you collected at the Col du Galibier.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • dave milne
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Err, aren't you the guy who came 35th in last year's Dragon Ride?

*worries*

yes I was :). the marmotte is a whole different level though. but I was my own worst enemy in a way, went up the entire telegraph with a heart rate > 180 as it felt good to be passing so many riders. I paid for that dearly
  • Abdoujaparov
    Thanks Russell - definitely plan on holding back a little on the descents. I see your other thread about the accident in the Time Megeve - those pics really make you think. Nasty stuff.
  • dave milne
    Any first timers got the fear about the Marmotte?! I'm feeling a lot better about it after the Dragon Ride yesterday which, despite being a piece of p*ss compared to the Marmotte, was a nice boost to the confidence.

So anyone thought about tactics yet? The mantra seems to be 'take it easy on the Glandon and the Telegraph' so I'm definitely going to stick to that. Must remember to take on enough water/energy drink at the last feed station too (pretty basic, but I've now finished my last two sportives dehydrated).

I've posted this before, but if you haven't read this account of La Marmotte, it's a good one:

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=4565

definitely take it easy for the first 2 climbs, in fact the first 3 climbs. Try and ride long rather than fast and if you get over the galibier without feeling terrible than you can go for it on the descent, hopefully in a nice big group to share the work and anything you have left for the alpe...
  • ketsbaia
    Any first timers got the fear about the Marmotte?!

Bricking it. Absolutely cacking bricks. Worried scheisse-less.

But then I only did my first ever sportive yesterday. :lol:

And funnily enough, it was on the ascents that I felt strongest. And I really enjoyed the descents too. In fact, it was the 'rouleur' territory that messed it up for me, so perhaps I've picked the right event after all.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Ah Ketsbaia, it'll be alright! I like Dave Milne's advice on riding long not fast - going to remember that one.

Can't quite get my head around going uphill non-stop for an hour and a half, but at least that's plenty of time to find a rhythm... :D
  • From my side, if you're feeling good on Galibier after the Plan Lachat, you can push harder as you can stock up on food at the Galibier and you have an hour to get some energy back on the descent. If you still have legs on the Alpe d'Huez, go for it again as it's the last climb.

I've attached what I'd written on my website for people coming over for the Marmotte for a brief overview of the event. Before my three kids arrived, I did manage to finish 105th in the 2002 Marmotte but those days are long gone.

The biggest thing I learnt is to spin from the start. Don't try and power over the Glandon, take it steady, spin those gears and save your legs for the Galibier and Alpe d'Huez. I learnt I could take enough food to get me to Valloire so I didn't need to stop at the top of the Glandon, and don't drink too much before the event. I've had to stop after 12 kilometres on one of the events to relieve myself. :-)

I'd recommend you read the five diary entries on the Grenoble Cycling Pages as they really cover my thoughts on each time I rode. From the first time I rode and had to stop at the side of the road numerous times on the Galibier and Alpe d'Huez, to knowing how to manage my legs in the mountains. Also remember that if the weather is bad, take stuff to survive and concentrate on getting around and not trying to beat your expectations - the good news is that if the weather is crap, us Brits are a lot more used to it than most of the riders.

I hope this helps.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com

An Introduction to the Marmotte Event

The depart from Bourg d’Oisans can be a frantic affair with things calming down after the riders join the main road to Rochetaille. This road is closed to traffic.

The first climbing starts after 12 kilometres of flat valley riding before the first slopes of the Glandon. The first seven kilometres are relatively steep until the village of Le Rivier d’Allemont. There is a kilometre of flat riding through the village before a technical descent of two kilometres and then the steepest section of the climb from kilometre 12 to 14. There are two kilometres of climbing at more than 10%, but the slope does ease to lesser gradients for the five kilometres to the Barrage de Grand Maison. After 18 kilometres on the Glandon, there is one final small descent of just over a kilometre leading to the final five kilometres of climbing to the Col.

The descent down the Glandon is steep, technical and dangerous in places, especially in the first half. Take real care here.

From the valley floor, the route joins the main road for the run to St-Michel-de-Maurienne and the bottom of the next climb. You'll find yourself in a group here so it's easy to sit in and let others do the work.

There are 12 kilometres of steady climbing on the Col du Télégraphe. The Télégraphe starts in St-Michel-de-Maurienne and climbs to 1,566 metres, at a steady gradient of 7.3%. It is only in the last kilometre that the climb steepens to nine percent. The road then descends for five kilometres to the ski resort of Valloire to start the 18 kilometres to the Col du Galibier.

Just outside Valloire is the first officially marked feed station of the Marmotte. It is possible to stock up on food and liquids ready for the next kilometres of climbing.

The Col du Galibier becomes increasingly more desolate the higher the road climbs. After the hairpin at Plan Lachat, with eight kilometres left to climb and at 1900 metres in altitude, the gradient increases to over eight percent and the wind can buffet a rider around the road. It is from near here that the Col du Galibier can be seen on the horizon.

The final kilometre of the Col du Galibier is the steepest of the whole climb, with a gradient of ten percent. At the 2646 metre Col, a small feed station is the perfect place to stop and to stock up on food and drink for the descent.

The route then descends for eight kilometres from the Galibier to the 2058 metre Col du Lautaret, and it is another 38 kilometres downhill to Bourg d’Oisans and the foot of the Alpe d’Huez. There are two brief uphill sections and it takes around an hour to descend to the foot of the Alpe d’Huez.

The climb of Alpe d’Huez can be approached in three sections. The first three kilometres and six hairpins are the hardest of the climb and tired legs can feel the ten percent gradients. After hairpin 16, the gradient eases slightly, and for the next six kilometres the road winds up the mountainside with regular hairpins at just over eight percent. Between hairpin four and three, the gradient steepens for the last time before the final steady kilometres to the ski resort and the finish of the Marmotte.