2»

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083
    Shezzer wrote:
    Oooh, suits you sir. :wink:

harsh, but fair!
  • rdt wrote:
    Ludlow and beyond is lovely cycling territory. This event is possibly the perfect blend of sportive and audax, a great event at a bargain price. Well recommended.

Wish I could go and that there were more like it. Maybe there are?

There's a great ride coming up on the North Shropshire/Powys border.

I highly recommend this Reliability Run - This year on 8th May, so plenty of notice !

This is a great ride out in terrific countryside and on very quiet roads. Oh yes, and a few hills. :D

8th May: - Oswestry Paragon CC: Llanyblodwel Village Hall 49 & 70 miles, 9:30 (long) 10:00 (short).

Routes: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 0936613428 (short)

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 6135380294 (long)
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    how do you go about entry? (noob alert) any link to web site etc-cheers
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • mattshrops wrote:
    how do you go about entry? (noob alert) any link to web site etc-cheers

There is no website - you just turn up on the day and hand over the modest entry fee.

It is a low-key but fun event. I cycle only about 500 miles a year and I manage to get round okay. I'll probably go round with a running friend called Mick Ward - he is in his 70s, but is still a strong cyclist; I believe that he was 50miles TT champion in the 1950s - though I don't know what year.

A couple of years ago, I did a fair bit of the course with Mick & John Atkins; John was multiple national cyclo-cross champion for years and years, no-one could touch him. But on this event, they seemed happy to just pootle along and have a chat.

It is a very low-key event; I do it on a bike that is 40 years old, but no-one seems to sneer at either the bike, my shabby attire, or my lack of fitness. :D

I thoroughly recommend this ride; if you're happy to go slow enough, you could always go round with me and my brother-in-law.

Oh yes, a cafe stop is more or less obligatory.

Where in Shrops are you ?

If you look on this site, you can see a list of Shropshire Reliability runs for 2011

http://www.midshropshirewheelers.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=418
  • tlw1
    Looks good, if I survive maggies bike and hike the week before, I will be there
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    I will be there this year, have missed every year lately as always seem to be holiday!
    Will doing my best this time it's a local event after all.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • mattshrops
    im in ironbridge. should be up to the short course ok -dont think ill be ready for the long one by may but you never know :) doing my best to get into shape after m/bike accident.
    first time ive seen this many salopians on the forum.
    ive been thinking of going along to msw in shrews, anyone a member/ can give any info etc?or any other clubs (near to ironbridge) worth trying?cheers matt
  • tlw1
    My club is in audlem, so a long way - but fun and they have got a reliability ride on next w.end
  • mattshrops
    is that crewe?
  • tlw1
    Near, about 8 miles closer to you
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    mattshrops wrote:
    im in ironbridge. should be up to the short course ok -dont think ill be ready for the long one by may but you never know :) doing my best to get into shape after m/bike accident.
    first time ive seen this many salopians on the forum.
    ive been thinking of going along to msw in shrews, anyone a member/ can give any info etc?or any other clubs (near to ironbridge) worth trying?cheers matt

Ha I am couple of miles away in Aqueduct! There is a group that meet up in wellington outside wylie & holland motorcycles on a sunday morning.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    edited February 2011
    I'm in Wellington and take a group out every Saturday morning ... not as quick as the Swan Hotel group. If you fancy a ride one Saturday then just drop me a PM.

Regarding local clubs, I guess Wrekinsport are the closest. I'm not a member but they seem like a decent bunch. Check out their website.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    edited February 2011
    mattshrops wrote:
    You're very welcome to attend any MSW events e.g. Tuesday evening open sessions from 6:30pm and Thursday group training at 7pm on the 1km Sundorne circuit, membership is not required.

MSW are running a Reliability Ride this coming Sunday, the 27th Feb - 54 miles along the lanes through Shawbury to Marchamley, looping through Prees, Wem and Baschurch. Rolling but not intended as a tough route.

Just turn up and pay (£2 IIRC) and off you go. Start/signon is at the Sundorne Sports Village, details in the thread already mentioned by lastpubrunner (thanks for the mention):

http://www.midshropshirewheelers.com/fo ... PIC_ID=418

Post here or PM me if you want to know more about the many great benefits of MSW membership ;)
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • mattshrops
    thanks for replies, while the forum has been down ive been pm'd by a wrekinsport member and im going to give them a try. i will be at the reliability on sun and hopefully will make contact with some members then. Thanks again for the replies :D ( did my first ever 50 last weekend so im in the slow group :roll: )
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    mattshrops wrote:
    did my first ever 50 last weekend so im in the slow group :roll: )
    Well done, that's a good distance, particularly at this time of year.

There's no shame in being in the so-called 'slow' group, we're not all mile-eating speed monsters.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.