Shropshire Highland Challenge 2010

NottsHammer
NottsHammer Posts: 6
edited February 2011 in Sportives/audaxes/training rides
Anyone doing it this year? Shortest route in years. Did it last year, very hard but worth it when we finished.

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    looks good - never done it before, but will check the calender at home!
  • Its good, but never cycled up hills with grass growing up the middle of it before!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I didn't know there were highlands in Shropshire :?
    More problems but still living....
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    amaferanga wrote:
    I didn't know there were highlands in Shropshire :?

Enter it, you are in for a shock :wink: Just ask the riders who entered last years Wild Edric.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Oh I know there are hills, but hills and highlands are very different things.
    More problems but still living....
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Great event and good atmosphere too; maybe no highlands but some big big climbs! Far more enjoyable, for me anyway, than Wild Edric.
  • tlw1
    How many people normally do the ride?

Also do I need to map read!
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    I did this a few years back, didn't bother looking at any directions....

Near the off, got in with some fast local lads, who knew the roads well. Unfortunately, they didn't know the route very well, and after riding on very quiet roads for ages, with no one to be seen, we eventually began to pass a load of people we'd passed an hour before :roll:

A couple of bits were on very narrow lanes, with dodgy surfaces (gravelly, grass up the middle). I'm used to that, but not riding down them in a group of 50+ riders jockeying for position!

Ludlow and beyond is lovely cycling territory. This event is possibly the perfect blend of sportive and audax, a great event at a bargain price. Well recommended.

Wish I could go and that there were more like it. Maybe there are?
  • tlw1
    Thanks for the info
  • tlw1
    anyone else camping?
  • aguillar
    aguillar Posts: 21
    matthew h wrote:
    Also do I need to map read!

No need, just fall in with some others. Most people will know where they are going or have satnav.
  • aguillar
    rdt wrote:
    Ludlow and beyond is lovely cycling territory. This event is possibly the perfect blend of sportive and audax, a great event at a bargain price. Well recommended.

The Autumn Epic is close by on similar roads. Later in the year.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    aguillar wrote:
    rdt wrote:

The Autumn Epic is close by on similar roads. Later in the year.

Ridden that a few years back too; good route, enjoyed it. TBH, it was the low key nature and good value aspect of the Shropshire Highlands ride that I was most referring to.
  • tlw1
    weather is looking good - so looks like we are camping on the Sat night :lol: (I know I have tempted fate)!
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    I'll be doing it. It's shorter and less hilly than previous years but that's ok cos I'm sooo out of shape at the mo :oops:
  • tlw1
    never done it before, so will let you know on monday if I was fit enough!
  • Finished way ahead of schedule. Its was not too bad until I hit the hill with the grass growing up the middle then it was a wearing down process. Suffered the most from the last check point into Ludlow with the headwind.
  • tlw1
    Had a great time, 4 hrs including an extra 5 miles :(

loved it
  • tlw1
    Obvously still in pain & tired! Camping with a 5 & 3 year old was a chance to loose some sleep!
  • Shezzer
    Suffered the most from the last check point into Ludlow with the headwind.

You're not alone ... quite a few of my group said the same. Still, it was a good day, I really enjoyed it and will be doing it again next year.
  • aguillar
    Excellent day. Somewhat tired having ridden to the start and home again afterwards adding 30 odd miles to the day.
    Jolly nice that the route went past my front door!
    Someone on another forum referred to "that nasty climb" - the cheek of it! That's where I live!
    When I got home people were still riding past.. Was delighted to see that they were all still smiling!
    Hope everybody had sun cream on..
  • tlw1
    You are a lucky mine leaving near "that nasty climb"! It was the amount of people stopping that made it hard work:)

factor 30 and I have still got a cyclist tan!
  • rprodgers
    rprodgers Posts: 45
    matthew h wrote:
    Had a great time, 4 hrs including an extra 5 miles :(

loved it

Matthew

were you one of the fastest back then ?

Paul
  • tlw1
    one of the earlier arrivals (I think) hung on the back of climb on bikes lads.
  • broachboy
    broachboy Posts: 429
    I have done the Highland Challenge for many years now, and whatever the weather it always turns out to be a good days riding, but we had beautiful Weather for the ride last Sunday :D

The 1st (nasty) climb - avearged out at 11% and maxed out at 19.6% for 850 metres :shock: , according to a club mates techno gadget - the climb to the space station was altogether better imo :D

totally forgot any sunscreen, so I am still nursing sore burnt forearms :oops:

Pics from top of the space climb are via the following link ...

http://www.georgeburgessphotography.com ... mId=150357

Hope all the other riders enjoyed it as much as I did :wink:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • tlw1
    thanks for the link!
  • broachboy
    No worries :wink:

Did you manage to get a pic, or had you finished before he had set up :?: :lol:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • tlw1
    page 3 - Didn't realise the pink bit on my top was SO camp
  • broachboy
    matthew h wrote:
    page 3 - Didn't realise the pink bit on my top was SO camp

hmmmmm :roll:

on a plus note you do look remarkably fresh for that stage in the day :)
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • Shezzer
    Oooh, suits you sir. :wink: